Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Robert Guerrero Withdraws From Katsidis Fight For Personal Reasons

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Robert Guerrero Withdraws From Katsidis Fight For Personal Reasons Empty
PostSubject: Robert Guerrero Withdraws From Katsidis Fight For Personal Reasons   Robert Guerrero Withdraws From Katsidis Fight For Personal Reasons EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 5:46 pm

BoxingScene.com was informed earlier today that IBF super featherweight champion Robert Guerrero has withdrawn from his planned fight with lightweight Michael Katsidis, which was scheduled headline HBO's March 27 telecast. BoxingScene has confirmed the information with Guerrero's manager, Shelly Finkel. From what I was told, Guerrero withdrew for personal reasons that have to do with his family. Our thoughts and prayers are with the entire Guerrero family.

Golden Boy Promotions and HBO are looking for a replacement to fight Katsidis. One name I heard mentioned was Brandon Rios, who knocked out Jorge Teron in three rounds over the weekend.

The co-feature to the March show is Marcos Maidana defending his WBA interim-junior welterweight title against unbeaten Victor Cayo.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=25224
Back to top Go down

Robert Guerrero Withdraws From Katsidis Fight For Personal Reasons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Robert Guerrero Withdraws From Katsidis Fight For Personal Reasons   Robert Guerrero Withdraws From Katsidis Fight For Personal Reasons EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 5:43 pm

Junior lightweight Robert Guerrero will not fight Michael Katsidis on March 27 because his wife is battling leukemia.

Casey Guerrero recently had a bone-marrow transplant to treat the disease, which was first diagnosed in 2007 and seemed to be under control.

"Right now I'm going through a difficult time dealing with my wife Casey's illness with leukemia." Guerrero said in prepared statement, "Fortunately we found a bone marrow match, but there are some complications that are making things difficult. I'm asking everyone in the boxing community along with family, friends and the general public to keep Casey in their prayers. I will continue to keep my faith in Jesus Christ and pray for understanding."

Guerrero overcame the strain of his wife’s health issues and promotional problems when he easily outpointed Malcolm Klassen in August to win a major 130-pound title, his second belt.

The fight with Katsidis, which wasn’t finalized, represented a big payday and big stage for the new titleholder but he couldn’t focus on boxing in these circumstances.

“I was ready to do battle with Katsidis but mentally my mind wouldn't be at 100%, and to fight a warrior like him you have to be at your best psychologically," he said.

Katsidis reportedly will still fight on that date but an opponent and site have not been determined. The Guerrero-Katsidis fight was expected to take place in San Jose, Calif., near Guerrero’s home in Gilroy.

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/1622/guerrero_wont_fight_katsidis_because_of_wifes_illness/
Back to top Go down

Robert Guerrero Withdraws From Katsidis Fight For Personal Reasons
Page 1 of 1