Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Roger Heurta to SF?

Go down 
+9
Wolfgangsta
KingsOwn19
taylorfleig
LA
captain organic
Andrew the Raider King
timthebim
Bigs03
Farmer1906
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

Roger Heurta to SF? Empty
PostSubject: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 9:39 am

"Ok.... Yall keep asking me when my next fight is going to be. Who on here wants to really know?? ...My manager @jeffclarkmma and I met with scott coker and Richard Chou with strikeforce on monday. So I believe this is where..."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/1/8/1240336/roger-huerta-20-3-1-about-to-sign
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 9:40 am

He might as well since he will never win the belt in the UFC.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 10:26 am

Another good fighter going to SF.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 12:31 pm

I wish he was staying with the UFC, but he can't win the LW title there, so maybe he can do better against the middle-of-the-road talent at SF.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 2:45 pm

Bigs03 wrote:

Well then everyone outside of Penn should bolt the UFC.

But the SF's 155 is looking pretty darn good. Amazing how deep that division is world wide.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 2:52 pm

Like Huerta, but he's pretty low on the totem pole in the UFC LW division, he'd prob be the 4th best LW in the WEC, good move for him personally.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 3:35 pm

captain organic wrote:
Bigs03 wrote:

But the SF's 155 is looking pretty darn good. Amazing how deep that division is world wide.

Maybe so.
Back to top Go down
taylorfleig
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
taylorfleig

Favorite Fighter(s) : boxing-Paul Williams, Deontay Wilder, Tavoris Cloud, mma-Rampage & Brett rogers

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 3:41 pm

captain organic wrote:
Bigs03 wrote:

Even more amazing someone can dominate a division that deep.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 4:28 pm

Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 3:01 am

It's not like he'll win a belt in Strikeforce and DREAM neitheir. He can provide entertaining matchups but i would pick most of those guys like Gil, Josh, KJ, Aoki, Kawijiri to beat that guy.

Heurta is good for some exciting fights though. I'm surprised why he's not going back to UFC. I thought they liked guys like Heurta.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 3:07 am

I think he can compete with Josh and KJ for sure
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 3:11 am

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
I think he can compete with Josh and KJ for sure

Heurta can compete with just about anybody though except BJ. His last fight with Gray was pretty damn competitive. The guy is tough as nails. Im not saying he couldent beat KJ or Josh, i would just pick them to beat Roger.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 3:16 am

I actually think they'd be about 50/50 fights, but I see what ur sayin, who knows if the UFC still won't give him a new contract, though I think he'll probably be gone, that division is too stacked for him now, and if they ever (which I think they will) merge with the WEC, he's even further down the totem pole.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 2:41 pm

Huerta is all of 26 years old. 20-3 career record. Just went to a split decision against a top UFC contendor. If he in line behind numerous WEC guys then the UFC 155 division is vastly overrated.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 3:02 pm

Ya Huerta is still an exciting young talent with a good career in front of him, who I would put in the same class as everyone south of BJ in the UFC. Tremendous heart too.

LA, with Strikeforce constantly going after UFC poster boys like this and huge stars in the Japanese market, do you really think the potential loss of a couple guys here or there would be that bad for them? There are few if any MMA journalists who have ever questioned this promotions staying power, where as everyone else's doom was seen a mile away.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 9:49 pm

I'm a Heurta fan, but lets be realistic, he has no wins against top guys, his best wins are against Guida eh and Garcia a FW, other than that he hasn't rally beaten anyone of note. I mean he's a gamer and will put on some exciting fights, but that's about all he's gonna do. He put on a good effort against Gray, but lost, and Maynard could have won easily had he used his wrestling more. In the UFC LW landscape he's behind

BJ
KenFlo
Edgar
Gray
Diego
Sherk
Griffin
Gomi
Stevenson
Miller
Nate Diaz
then there's guys like Stout, Pellegrino, Fisher, Neer, ect who the fights can go either way

The WEC guys, like Varner, Henderson and Cerrone the fights could also go either way, but Cerrone is a better striker and more well-rded, and Varner and Henderson would use there wrestling which is Heurta weakness.

Wolfy, with the guys that have or might leave the UFC and sign with SF, the ball is always in the UFC court, it's ultamately their decision if they want to resign the guy or let him walk.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 10:16 pm

LA the ball is always in the court of the original contract holding body in any sport. That is irrelevant to whether other teams or interests are going to pursue free agents aggressively to compete and certainly imaterial to whether Strikeforce will go under because Nick Diaz and Gagard Mousasi leave if Strikeforce continues to sign all these great and popular fighters.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 10:42 pm

Heurta great? but losing 2 of their top 5 fighters is a blow, anyways u want to look at it.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 10:46 pm

He is a great star in any event. No one said it wasn't a blow, but you said that if they lost two of those guys they'd go under. Just wonderin if you'd rethought it at all.

Strikeforce is a sure thing man.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 10:54 pm

Here's the thread bro, https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net/mma-f1/predictions-for-2010-t2315.htm give it a read, closest thing I say to what ur claiming, is "I'm not buying staying power" People are trying to make it seem like they're gonna be this threat and competition to the UFC, and I'm not buying it.
Back to top Go down
redvexx8
Green Belt
Green Belt
redvexx8

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 3:19 pm

I would like to see him in the WEC.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 3:28 pm

i think he can make noise in the SF LW division. Especially if people are gonna brawl with him cause Roger can brawl. I think fights with Gil and Josh and others would be very competitive and i wouldn't be surprised to see him win. He's young and getting better and i know i read he was in Thailand for a while training Muay Thai so he seems to be taking his fighting career very seriously which is a good sign.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 4:56 pm

The "threat" and competition factor is over played, I agree there. They aren't going to compete for viewers. They don't even really offer the same product. The UFC is PPV dollars and live gate, Strikeforce is free, making money more like a traditional sport, advertising and live gate. Strikeforce has countered one Zuffa event, but that was more like a counter strike after Zuffa "declared war". They will compete for fighters, but that is really the only place real competition is going to happen, especially once Strikeforce gets more name recognititon.

The whole thing where Zuffa counters Strikeforce events is really a dangerous thing for Zuffa because if Strikeforce starts countering PPVs, that could really hurt UFC buyrates, especially with all the young guns and name fighters they have now. I don't anticipate the UFC to be countering Strikeforce for too much longer in light of that. That policy of Zuffa could certainly backfire, especially if Strikeforce secures a cable deal similar to the Spike one and could reach millions of homes cheaply on a network more like TBS, FX, USA or any number of other ones.

I don't see anyway the UFC could squeeze Strikeforce out of the market considering Strikeforce has sound finacial practices, makes money with every event, and doesn't rely on PPV. Also, I don't think the UFC is stupid enough to open the pandoras box of simply out-bidding Strikeforce fighters out of the promotion. That would ultimately involve over paying for services and signing guys for more than they're worth, compared to UFC guys with similar records and rankings. That would just drive UFC profits down and could force them to raise what they pay anyone. That also risks giving perhaps undeserved legitimacy to Strikeforce fighters if the UFC is seen going after anyone they have aggressively, putting them on the same plane.

They will compete for somethings, but I think it is more likely they'll work something out to exist together and squeeze other rivals out in concert. Strikeforce is the only promotion outside of Dream I have ever felt will really grow or survive. I was loud in my criticism of those who declared Affliction, the IFL, EliteXC and others dead in the water long before that was clear, but I still recognized that those promotions were facing an uphill battle.

Strikeforce just feels different. LA, I think the infant mortality rate of MMA promotions has made you cynical here. I can relate to that, because I don't see Bellator surviving in this climate long at all. This is their last season.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 5:09 pm

But Bellator offers such a unique product Wolf. A straight tourney format. In terms of finding a unique niche in the market I think Bellator found a great one. One could see a SF type org which has fighters sitting idly(Joey Villasenor for instance) encouraging their fighters to fight on ESPN and try to win a Bellator tourney win.

Still have yet to see a Bellator fight, but i'll be looking for it this year.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 5:57 pm

That is true to an extent, which is why Bellator if it wishes to survive, would likely have to reduce it's aim to being a feeder promotion. I don't see them being able to sustain stars with this season format.

Strikeforce was still having tournaments until 2007, and I've heard nothing saying they won't in the future. The UFC offers a tournament once or twice a year with prospects itself by the way, it is just polluted with peeing in fruit and giant pink poneys. Dream and Sengoku are always in the mist of tournaments too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roger Heurta to SF?   Roger Heurta to SF? Empty

Back to top Go down

Roger Heurta to SF?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next