Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?

Go down 
+10
Ninja
timthebim
chorky777
ohiovol62
MMAEYES
oggy420
Andrew the Raider King
Farmer1906
Wolfgangsta
LA
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? Empty
PostSubject: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 3:21 am

I'm bored and just curious who ud label as the most overrated guy and most underrated currently

Overrated: Brett Rogers

Underrated: Frankie Edgar or maybe Lil Nog cause he doesn't get as much talk as he should
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 3:53 am

Overrated ; Alistair Overeem, Brock Lesnar, Jacare, Maia and any one dimensional BJJ ace lacking a wrestling base or above average striking and athleticism.

Underrated ; Fedor. The best fighter of all time yet many many people don't even think he is the best in his own division, and believe a still green former pro-wrestler with five fights is the better fighter, based soley on supposed super powers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 4:32 am

Ur so predictable, while I do agree with Overreem, Jacare has really improved his striking and Maia minus getting KTFO by the 2nd best MW in the World is extremely talented and due to his single strength, a problem for almost anyone. Brock we very well know isn't overrated, u just have to stick to ur persona much like Raiders has to stick to his Fedor hating one. And despite some good points with ur Underrated, comeback with a real choice.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 4:44 am

Lesnar is horrifically overrated. Disagree all you wish. In a year or less I'll be laughing it up at the entire brocksucking world. I will never believe that fictional brockpowers replace the need for experience, a well rounded game, and a mental strength, all things I believe Brock lacks.

And my Fedor choice is the real choice. Better than another bitchslapping of Thome about Tito or attempting to defend the vile Matt Hughes from people who transform the natural aversion to his person and persona into the reason he isn't ranked, while a comparative nobody with a paper thin resume like Paulo Thiago stays ranked.

Add Paulo Thiago to my list of overrated fighters.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 9:24 am

Wolfy beat me to it with Hughes.

I'd say Arlovski is underrated as well. I have a feeling he's about to make a huge come back.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 10:49 am

First of LA, I do not hate Fedor, I just don't think he is fighting the best ppl in his weight division and hasn't for many years. Arlovski? Sylvia? Rogers? Please.

Wolf you can't bash Brock, when previously you pumped up HMC to make him a credible threat to Fedor, it just makes you look stupid.

Overrated: Aoki, Sanchez, the Diaz Brothers, Jake Shields, Maia, Fitch, Thiago, Sadollah, & Vera.

Underrated: Mir, Evan Dunham, Scott Smith, Carwin, Bonnar
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 12:10 pm

bare with me i have alot of guys who i think are underrated and overrated

underrated - Dan Hornbuckle, Frankie Edgar, Alan Belcher, Nick Diaz, Jason/Dan/Jim Miller

Overrated - Overeem, Werdum, Santiago, Filho, Paulo Thiago, Kid Yamamoto, Guida
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 1:19 pm

overrated- Cung Le, Overeem, Jake Shields, Dan Hardy

underrated- Mir, Nick Diaz, Rich Franklin, Brandon Vera
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 1:30 pm

ohh yea forgot about Hardy. Add him to my list of overrated as well
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 1:33 pm

Dan Hardy is the King of overrated
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 1:43 pm

How is Mir underrated? He's #3 in Sherdog's rankings. He beat Kongo folks, lets hop off the hype train for a sec.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 2:35 pm

ohiovol62 wrote:
How is Mir underrated? He's #3 in Sherdog's rankings. He beat Kongo folks, lets hop off the hype train for a sec.

I put Mir because I think he's better than most people think especially on this board. Just my opinion
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 2:47 pm

No, this whole board thinks Mir is elite quality besides a couple of folks.

I said HMC was a credible threat to Fedor, not the best HW in the world. His size and skill set made him an interesting match up. Same is true with Lesnar. You're confusing "credible threat" and "dangerous fighter" which I would certainly say Lesnar is, with "best HW in the world" and "unbeatable superhuman smash machine" which most simpler MMA fans and even a number of respectable ones say he is. As usual, Lesnar fans are confused.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 4:35 pm

I agree with you on the Brock thing for your last post, but he is one of the people I think who can actually kick Fedor's ass. Mir is possibly the most dangerous fighter, because he is still expanding his skill set as well as gaining muscle. I just want to see Fedor fight someone who can actually make a challenge, instead of hand-picked chumps like Rogers, Arlovski, Sylvia, etc. Really the guy needs to prove it each and everytime and he hasn't done that in a while, but I still think he is the best HW around.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 5:22 pm

One for each division:
Overrated: Aoki, Shields, Nick Diaz, Rampage, Nogueira
Underrated: Alvarez, McLovin, apparently Maia which I'll get to, Bones, Cigano
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 5:23 pm

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
I agree with you on the Brock thing for your last post, but he is one of the people I think who can actually kick Fedor's ass. Mir is possibly the most dangerous fighter, because he is still expanding his skill set as well as gaining muscle. I just want to see Fedor fight someone who can actually make a challenge, instead of hand-picked chumps like Rogers, Arlovski, Sylvia, etc. Really the guy needs to prove it each and everytime and he hasn't done that in a while, but I still think he is the best HW around.

I find it amazing that people could actually convince themselves that this is reality. Arlovski and Sylvia were top five at the time they fought Fedor and Rogers top 7, no different than Lesnar or Carwin in experience.

Forum, is Andrew being serious with that bit or is this acting? I think it is serious.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 5:25 pm

As for Maia being overrated, that's just silly talk. The guy's a blackbelt in Judo as well as BJJ. He's a grappling master, not just a BJJ ace. He's essentially a better wrestler than the elite wrestlers in his division. He took Sonnen down with no problems. So far, the only weakness I've seen is when he's jumping into Marquardt.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 5:31 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:

I find it amazing that people could actually convince themselves that this is reality. Arlovski and Sylvia were top five at the time they fought Fedor and Rogers top 7, no different than Lesnar or Carwin in experience.

Forum, is Andrew being serious with that bit or is this acting? I think it is serious.

I think only stupid people actually believed Tim Sylvia was top 5 when he was fighting against Fedor. As for Arlovski, he dropped out of my top 5 after the Nelson fight, because I am 99% sure Nelson was gonna win that fight before the worst stand up in mma history happened. He showed that he was too easy to be taken down and had huge holes in his ground game, so Fedor, Mir, Lesnar, Nog, Couture and in my eyes Nelson were better than Arlovski.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 5:44 pm

Lot's of analyists smarter and more knowledgeble than any of us really question his striking skills. Being called a modern day Royce Gracie isn't anymore of a complement than being called a modern day Mark Coleman. I question his hand speed. Nate looked at the tape and ID'd a tendency that prevented him from lasting longer than a few seconds.

Against high level, strong American wrestlers with typical striking of that style of fighter, he will run into major problems. He may be a good grappler, but I am always skeptical at the pure wrestling ability of tall, thin fighters with high centers of gravity vs thicker, stocky pure wrestlers. The Chael Sonnon win is impressive because he is of that style, but I think the Nate win exposed his ceiling. Dan is gone, but he could never beat him, nor Anderson or Nate and I really question if he could beat Franklin or Belfort. I think in short order a fighter like Jake Rosholt would be too much for him once they have aquired the requisite submission defense skills to go along with their superior takedown and positioning ability.

Jake Rosholt has the higher ceiling.

Find me anywhere a BJJ ace that is able to work that to victory consistantly against higher level competition without a rounded skillset?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 5:46 pm

Really? I am surprised Nelson isn't in your top ten nowdays considering he won TUF. I thought Tim was ranked too high myself, but he is a two time UFC champ who was fresh off a close loss in a UFC title fight. An indictment of him is an indictment of all MMA's HW division.

Nelson out grappled your beloved Frank Mir, and is one of the best ground fighters in the world. His standup is better than you think. No dice there.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 5:57 pm

Wolfy, your right. He was the 2 time UFC HW Champ, but that was when the HW division sucked! You have said it yourself on multiple occassions. The UFC HW division wasn't very good 16 months ago. I think Sylvia or Arlovski in their primes might not be able to contend in its current state. They could never hang with Lesnar, Nog, Mir, Couture, etc. It is such a different division than it used to be and it is just getting better.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 6:11 pm

Ya it sucked then, but all the top ten guys now were fighting nobodies in local shows at the time, and achieved their top ten status by besting guys like Kongo, Gonzaga and others who couldn't even work their way to the top back then.

So we're supposed to believe that today's tier 1 is so much better than two year's ago teir 1 when everyone now is a brand newb with one or two victories over yesterdays tier 2 or 50 year old men?

Not buying it. And I think anyone who does is a sucker. If the division sucked back then, it still sucks.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 6:49 pm

Overrated- Werdum, Dan Hardy, Shane Carwin, Brock Lesnar, and Jardine.

Underrated- Alan Belcher, CB Dollaway, Thiago Silva, and Roy Nelson.
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 7:18 pm

chorky777 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

I think only stupid people actually believed Tim Sylvia was top 5 when he was fighting against Fedor. As for Arlovski, he dropped out of my top 5 after the Nelson fight, because I am 99% sure Nelson was gonna win that fight before the worst stand up in mma history happened. He showed that he was too easy to be taken down and had huge holes in his ground game, so Fedor, Mir, Lesnar, Nog, Couture and in my eyes Nelson were better than Arlovski.

You thought Fat Ass was going to finish the Kimura? I don't think so, he was trying to get AA's arm far enough away his body so fat ass could get his other hand around to grab his wrist. He wasn't strong enough to do that. The problem I have with that fight is I thought the fight was called too early, AA just knocked him down. I still think AA would have won the fight though. Just my opinion
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 7:40 pm

chorky777 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

Absolutely false. People held Tim to such a high regard around that time because he was coming off a lose to Nog were he pretty much dominated the fight and just lost because he was stupid enough to keep the fight on the ground. He also beat Vera which at the time was a huge win. Alot of people thought Tim was going to run through Fedor and that Fedor was washed up. If you don't believe me go back into the Sherdog forum archives.

As for the AA comment that is pure speculation. You have no idea if Roy was going to get the sub or not. It was a terrible call though.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?   Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now? Empty

Back to top Go down

Who do u think is the most overrated fighter and who most underrated fighter right now?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next