Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

B.J. Penn would rather finish trilogy with Frankie Edgar at lightweight

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

B.J. Penn would rather finish trilogy with Frankie Edgar at lightweight Empty
PostSubject: B.J. Penn would rather finish trilogy with Frankie Edgar at lightweight   B.J. Penn would rather finish trilogy with Frankie Edgar at lightweight EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 12:32 pm

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/9/25/4767086/morning-report-b-j-penn-frankie-edgar-dana-white-silva-aldo-weidman-jones-ufc-mma-news

Granting a rare interview to his own outlet, former UFC champion B.J. Penn opened up a bit on how he went from 'doing yard work' one week to now starring opposite Frankie Edgar on next season's The Ultimate Fighter. In addition to the coaching stint, the pair will meet for a third time, but at 145 pounds. With Edgar now a full-time featherweight, Penn was forced to take the plunge himself if he ever wanted another shot at him. Even so, Penn says he'd rather finish their trilogy at lightweight, where it began.

You know, I really do wish this fight was at 155 lbs. Nothing to do with the weight, it's just I really feel that Frankie hasn't lost yet. He's right up there, and I feel everybody says I'm supposed to be the greatest at lightweight. Frankie beat me twice. Frankie never really lost yet. Pettis is the new champ, you got all these new guys coming. Well if Frankie and me are the old guys, maybe who walks out of that ring will be one of the best lightweights of all time. We're going to find out.

Should Penn have success against Edgar, he's already sorting out the complications of fighting his mentor's other prized pupil, Jose Aldo.

I know it's really weird for a lot of people in America to understand this, but I've always been a loyal guy to my Jiu-Jitsu King. Ever since Jose Aldo has hit the scene and just went on an absolute tear has busted everybody up, I never had any intentions of fighting Jose Aldo. At this point, if I fight Jose Aldo who am I fighting? I'm fighting Andre Pederneiras. I'm fighting the man who gave me my black belt. It's just not a comfortable feeling for me. Me and Andre Pederneiras will have to sit down and talk. Jose Aldo is going to have to sit down and talk. I know Jose Aldo was just about to fight Anthony Pettis. Now, is Jose Aldo going to go up to 155 and fight Anthony Pettis or is he going to stay at 145 and defend his belt? I think with some of the decisions Aldo will make, will help me make some of my decisions myself.

In addition to training with Pederneiras leading up to his 2014 summer bout, Penn plans on keeping him heavily involved as a coach on TUF.

Andre Pederneiras is the first guy on the list. We want to have a lot of special guests. We're working night and day. Me and my five buddies, my coaches/training partners... we're trying to put together a good team that makes a lot of sense that really gives these guys what they need based off their careers.

With Andre Pederneiras coming in, I almost feel like my job is easy now that I've got Andre because he's the mastermind. He's the sensei. He's the man who made me the first foreigner to ever win in Brazil. Let's see if he can be the man to make me be the first person to finish Frankie Edgar. We're going to find out.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: B.J. Penn would rather finish trilogy with Frankie Edgar at lightweight   B.J. Penn would rather finish trilogy with Frankie Edgar at lightweight EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 2:24 pm

I'd rather it be at LW as well. I just don't see BJ being at 145.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: B.J. Penn would rather finish trilogy with Frankie Edgar at lightweight   B.J. Penn would rather finish trilogy with Frankie Edgar at lightweight EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 2:53 pm

OU wrote:
Yeah I have no faith in BJ putting up a good fight at 145. I'm thinking he gases quick
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: B.J. Penn would rather finish trilogy with Frankie Edgar at lightweight   B.J. Penn would rather finish trilogy with Frankie Edgar at lightweight EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 3:01 pm

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
OU wrote:
Yeah I have no faith in BJ putting up a good fight at 145. I'm thinking he gases quick
BJ is so unpredictable. I have no idea what to expect out of him. I'll be rooting for him though.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: B.J. Penn would rather finish trilogy with Frankie Edgar at lightweight   B.J. Penn would rather finish trilogy with Frankie Edgar at lightweight EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 3:05 pm

I'll be rooting for him but motivated BJ is a myth now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: B.J. Penn would rather finish trilogy with Frankie Edgar at lightweight   B.J. Penn would rather finish trilogy with Frankie Edgar at lightweight Empty

Back to top Go down

B.J. Penn would rather finish trilogy with Frankie Edgar at lightweight
Page 1 of 1