Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Money ain't so money

Go down 
+3
Primetyme199
Ludo
Farmer1906
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

Money ain't so money - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money ain't so money   Money ain't so money - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 6:28 pm

so if it came in at over a million they wouldnt have lost money or is this just Iole level speculation? I'm sure everybody made money, they were probably just hoping to make more. If it's close to a million that still a big time PPV.

i dont buy that they would invest so much that 1.1 or 1.2 is their breaking even point. I doubt they expected it to do as well as his fight with Cotto as Guerrero is nowhere near the star Cotto is. They could have expected maybe an May-Ortiz buyrate but even then they are just looking to break even? With no PPV numbers just a couple writers(Iole having a bad rep) bringing doom and gloom.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Money ain't so money   Money ain't so money - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 9:25 pm

I think the whole fight discussion section can be amalgamated into 1 forum.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Money ain't so money   Money ain't so money - Page 2 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 1:06 am

I'm pretty sure Mayweather is going to fight Amir Khan next. If Floyd is planning on a Septmeber fight, that makes Canelo unlikely...as Canelo is fighting Cotto then.

Mayweather-Khan will do over a million. Easy money for money though.
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Money ain't so money   Money ain't so money - Page 2 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 1:12 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
so if it came in at over a million they wouldnt have lost money or is this just Iole level speculation? I'm sure everybody made money, they were probably just hoping to make more. If it's close to a million that still a big time PPV.

i dont buy that they would invest so much that 1.1 or 1.2 is their breaking even point. I doubt they expected it to do as well as his fight with Cotto as Guerrero is nowhere near the star Cotto is. They could have expected maybe an May-Ortiz buyrate but even then they are just looking to break even? With no PPV numbers just a couple writers(Iole having a bad rep) bringing doom and gloom.

Dan Rafeal is legit when it comes to boxing news, he's easily the most powerful reporter in the sport because he works for ESPN.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Money ain't so money   Money ain't so money - Page 2 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 11:43 pm

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&o...#ixzz2Sr6xdyJB
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

by Rick Reeno

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer lashed out when BoxingScene.com questioned him about the circulating industry rumors that last Saturday's Showtime pay-per-view, featuring Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Robert Guerrero in the main event, was a financial disaster.

The event, which took place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, was Mayweather's first bout of an exclusive six-fight deal that was finalized with Showtime earlier this year. He won a rather lopsided twelve round unanimous decision over Guerrero.

As early as Tuesday, industry rumors began to circulate that Mayweather-Guerrero had bombed on pay-per-view - generating less than a million buys - and Showtime was going to lose millions of dollars in the process.

"All of these knuckleheads who said what a f***ing disaster the pay-per-view was and how Showtime lost all this money - all of that is wishful thinking from the spinmasters over there, you know why I'm talking about. This is bullsh*t. How can they know by Tuesday what the pay-per-view did? When I did pay-per-views for the past ten years on HBO, they never told me on Tuesday what the number was. They know on Thursday and Friday is when you start getting a handle on the In-Demand and the cable numbers. That's when you get those numbers," Schaefer told BoxingScene.com.

"Now we are starting to get solid numbers and [the buyrate] is definitely going to be over a million. How much over I don't know. I don't think its going to be that much over a million, but its going be right around there. What were all these people talking about? All of those Top Rankers and HBOers, they are going to come and say 'bullsh*t numbers, bullsh*t numbers.' But not publicly, they are going to be going behind the scenes. Let's do it in the open. Let's go and hire a top three accounting firm to look at our numbers and all of the [Manny] Pacquiao [pay-per-view]numbers. Let the truth be told because we stand behind our numbers."

I asked Schaefer if there was any possible way that industry sources could get handle on the pay-per-view numbers as early as this past Tuesday.

"It is impossible [to know by Tuesday] and they know that. Anybody with half a brain knows. It starts on Monday. Everybody knows that the first numbers to come in are preliminary numbers from DirecTV on Monday. Those are the first preliminary numbers that you get. Then on Tuesday you usually get Dish [Network], and then you are going to get the Telecoms [AT&T and Verizon] on Wednesday, and then on Thursday and Friday you start getting cable numbers. So by Friday you get an idea [of the buyrate]. You take all of the numbers from the first week and you put them together, like on a spreadsheet, and it gives you a number of what the fight ultimately will do. That's the way it works and it works for every fight exactly the same," Schaefer said.

"And then you get the number you have on Friday, and you add between 10 to 18% by time that you're done with those different reporting cycles because it always increases. It always increased between 10 and 20%, something like that. If you know that you have a million homes on Friday, you know that you are going to end up with at least 1.1 million...it's just the way it works. And if anybody needs a f***ing ABC on how the pay-per-view number collection [process] works, I'll be happy to give it."

There were a few interesting trends in the latest Mayweather pay-per-view numbers. Although three of the four pay-per-view fights involved a Mexican boxer, the event underperformed with the Hispanic market. Guerrero, a Mexican-American, was unable to draw heavy interest from the Hispanic market. However, the event performed much better than expected with the general market, which Schaefer attributes to Mayweather's overall popularity and the added coverage from Showtime's parent company CBS.

"If you look at the DirecTV and the Dish, which are heavy in the Hispanic market - in the Hispanic market the fight underperformed and in the general market the fight over-performed. It is amazing. It's not just on the pay-per-view,. but the general market really carried this fight. Somehow the Hispanic market didn't really identify with Robert or Robert didn't identify with the Hispanic market. It underperformed there. This is not just a case with the pay-per-view. We saw exactly the same [trend] in the closed circuit as well, where it underperformed with the Hispanic market and over-performed with the general market," Schaefer said.

"The same was true with the movie theaters. The movie theaters set a new record for all of the tickets sold. It was higher than the [Mayweather-Cotto] fight, and again it was heavily generated by the general market and light in the Hispanic market. Really interesting trends and it was really interesting because for the first time in two or three fights - Canelo was not on the card [with Mayweather] and Canelo obviously has a huge recognition in the Hispanic market."

Schaefer first took notice of the trend at last Friday's weigh-in, and then he witnessed the trend continue with the live audience.

"You saw a little bit of this [trend] at the weigh-in as well. It was jam-packed to capacity. [Director of sports and promotions] Scott Ghertner of the MGM told me that they had to shut the doors because it was at capacity, and there were another 1,000 people outside. It's not like the numbers were not there, the numbers were there, but it was a relatively quiet crowd. How many Mexican flags did you see at the weigh-in? Very few. And then you think about fight night, you were there, and it was more of a Laker crowd than a Cinco De Mayo crowd," Schaefer said.

"How many Mexican flags did you see when Abner Mares and Ponce De Leon delivered that terrific fight? Even then it was a relatively quiet crowd. It was more of a Lakers crowd. That gave the indication that it was more of a general market crowd and it was the general market that really pushed the pay-per-view. And I think CBS in that regard did a terrific job in delivering that general market. I think the results speak for themselves because I don’t know any other fighter who could have delivered such a strong showing [with the general market] as Floyd did this past weekend. I’m happy for Showtime as well and I'm happy for anyone who was a part of this promotion."

And, the early numbers also reveals that fans were not steered away by the high price tag of $69.95 to purchase a high definition broadcast of the pay-per-view

"What is interesting as well, when you look at those numbers. When you used to look at the numbers, it used to be 70% in standard definition and 30% in high definition and now the numbers have switched. The price sensitivity in the general market, with [a high definition showing] being 69.95 was not really an issue. If you take the revenues generated with the gate, and the pay-per-view numbers, and the closed circuit, record numbers with movie theaters, foreign revenues were very strong - and if you start adding all of these numbers up - you have revenues [in the realm of] $90 million dollars or something like that, and I don't know too many sporting events or athletes, or for that matter anybody who can generate that kind of money in one night," Schaefer said

Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Money ain't so money   Money ain't so money - Page 2 EmptyFri May 10, 2013 8:58 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:

Even if they didn't make $$$ here, it's a 6 fight deal, and they will make $$$ on fights with bigger names. Floyd vs Khan would certainly make $$$, and Floyd vs Canelo would be huge.
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Money ain't so money   Money ain't so money - Page 2 EmptySat May 11, 2013 6:56 am

Mayweather is still money the fight cracked 1 mill.

Quote :
Floyd Mayweather Jr. is still the "Money" man, but not quite as much as he has been in the past.

Mayweather's lopsided decision against Robert Guerrero to retain his welterweight title May 4 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas will "definitely exceed 1 million buys," Stephen Espinoza, head of Showtime Sports, told ESPN.com Friday.

The total, however, will fall short of Mayweather's recent pay-per-view events.

"We still don't have complete numbers, but we've seen the dish numbers and some of the cable numbers to be comfortable saying we will definitely exceed 1 million buys," Espinoza said Friday. "We can't tell how much it will exceed 1 million, though. That's going to be determined by the reporting [from cable systems] that will come in over the next few weeks."

If the fight did 1 million buys, that would be a gross of at least $60 million, what with the pay-per-view cost of $59.99 in standard definition and $69.99 in high definition, although about half of that money goes to satellite and cable systems.

The fight was the first for Mayweather -- boxing's biggest star and the active pay-per-view king -- under a new deal he signed earlier this year with Showtime/CBS that calls for him to fight up to six times in a 30-month span, which has been widely reported to be worth in the $200 million range. Mayweather's purse for the fight with Guerrero was $32 million, although he will make more based on additional revenue from the promotion.

The pay-per-view sales for the fight with Guerrero will not approach the 1.5 million Mayweather generated for his fight last May with Miguel Cotto, his last fight before leaving longtime TV home HBO for the Showtime/CBS deal.

In Mayweather's fights before Cotto, he generated 1.2 million pay-per-view buys against Victor Ortiz, 1.35 million against Shane Mosley and 1.1 million against Juan Manuel Marquez. In 2007, Mayweather set the all-time pay-per-view record with Oscar De La Hoya, the A-side of that fight, with a whopping 2.48 million buys.

Espinoza said he's happy with the results of the Mayweather-Guerrero fight, even though he had predicted they would equal the Cotto fight.

"We are absolutely satisfied," Espinoza said. "We are pleased with the result. From a financial perspective, we are completely satisfied. We consider it a success. From a programming and fight fan standpoint, we consider it to be a very successful event.

"Looking at the numbers, for Floyd do to a million buys, and conceivably more, when it was one of his lesser-known pay-per-view opponents in the last six or seven years, that is a testament to his drawing power. Would we have liked to match the Cotto numbers or the De La Hoya numbers? Absolutely. Was that realistic? No, not with an opponent not nearly as well-known as Cotto or De La Hoya.

"I would have loved to [do 1.5 million buys] but the more accurate fight to compare it to is Ortiz. I take nothing away from Guerrero. He was a game competitor. He fought hard and belongs in the top tier at 147 pounds, but from a pure business perspective, he is not particularly well known and [has] not been in huge, marquee fights. So we are happy with the results."

In figures released Friday by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, Mayweather-Guerrero generated a gate of $9,922,350 from 14,258 tickets sold. The commission said there were 1,459 complimentary tickets given, and 139 tickets went unsold.

The gate figure puts the fight 16th all time in Nevada history, just behind the $10,393,950 in ticket sales generated by Mayweather's 2007 fight with Ricky Hatton and just in front of the $9.84 million generated by the Shane Mosley-De La Hoya rematch in 2003.

In addition, the Nevada commission said an additional 8,333 tickets were sold for closed-circuit viewing at MGM properties in Las Vegas for an additional $416,650 in revenue.

Showtime will debut the delayed broadcast of Mayweather-Guerrero, along with Abner Mares' featherweight title-winning ninth-round knockout of Daniel Ponce De Leon from the undercard, on Saturday (9 p.m. ET/PT).

Mayweather plans to fight again on Sept. 14. Espinoza said he hopes a fight between Mayweather and junior middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, the 22-year-old Mexican star, can be made for that date -- which is Mexican Independence Day weekend.

Golden Boy promoter Richard Schaefer, who promotes Alvarez and has worked on Mayweather's past seven fights, told ESPN.com on Thursday that he's already started discussions to make the fight.

"I'm cautiously optimistic," Espinoza said of getting a Mayweather-Alvarez fight finalized. "There's a lot of negotiating left to do, but often the biggest hurdle is convincing one fighter or the other to take the fight. That hurdle has been cleared. I truly believe Mayweather wants Canelo and that Canelo wants Mayweather, and that's half the battle."

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9262663/floyd-mayweather-jr-robert-guerrero-exceeds-1-million-pay-per-view-buys
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Money ain't so money   Money ain't so money - Page 2 EmptySun May 12, 2013 2:20 am

I guess Mayweather wants to fight Canelo at a lower weight.

...AND IT BEGINS
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Money ain't so money   Money ain't so money - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Money ain't so money
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2