Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins Empty
PostSubject: Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins   Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 11:05 am

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/4/12/4215006/morning-report-georges-st-pierre-says-he-weighed-170-4-pounds-at-ufc

Just when you thought you were out, they pull you back in.

Georges St-Pierre officially tipped the scales at 170 pounds at the UFC 158 weigh-ins last month. Except, he didn't really. Or, at least, St-Pierre doesn't think he did.

The UFC welterweight champion mostly stayed silent on the controversy surrounding the Quebec athletic commission and its peculiar, last-second, "off the record" round-down rule. But that silence ended on Thursday, when St-Pierre revealed to the Associated Press (via La Presse) that he believes he weighed in at 170.4 pounds -- .4 pounds over the legal limit for championship bouts.

Here a rough translation of the report (via Bloody Elbow):

"They came to us just before the weigh-ins and even I was surprised. They told us they were going to be rounding (down to the nearest pound). I was as surprised as Nick Diaz," St. Pierre said Thursday in an interview with The Associated Press.

GSP said he was not sure of his exact weight, but he believes that it amounted to 170.4 pounds. The Quebec Board then rounded his weight down to 170 pounds, the limit for the March 16 bout.

Before we get any further, let's quickly cover a few things. 1.) Keep in mind that St-Pierre weighed in wearing shorts. 2.) Diaz's team is probably about to have a field day with this. 3.) The fact that St-Pierre was "as surprised as Nick Diaz," if true, only throws the onus even more so on the Quebec commission. That's as egregious a breach of protocol as you could ask for.

Now, let the floodgates open.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins   Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 11:08 am

Yeah he "believes" he came in at 170.4, which means he was actually heavier then that. I saw another quote earlier saying "I think". No definitive answer from GSP except that he was over the limit for a title fight. He probably was 170.9 with his shorts like originally reported which would put him around 170.4 without them.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins   Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 11:36 am

Yeah he "believes" he came in at 170.4, which means he was actually lighter then that. I saw another quote earlier saying "I think". No
definitive answer from GSP except that he thinks he was over the limit for a title fight. He probably was 169.9 with his shorts like originally reported which would put him around 169.4 without them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins   Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 11:40 am

GDPofDRC wrote:
Yeah he "believes" he came in at 170.4, which means he was actually lighter then that. I saw another quote earlier saying "I think". No
definitive answer from GSP except that he thinks he was over the limit for a title fight. He probably was 169.9 with his shorts like originally reported which would put him around 169.4 without them.

I think the only real fact here is he was above 170 lbs. Multiple sources confirm that information.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins   Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 11:42 am

What I wonder now is would 4 ounces of made Diaz good enough at MMA to win more than zero rounds?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins   Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 11:46 am

If Nick had another 5 pounds on he still would've won zero rounds.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins   Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 11:50 am

GDPofDRC wrote:
What I wonder now is would 4 ounces of made Diaz good enough at MMA to win more than zero rounds?

I don't think it had any effect on the fight at all. Not one bit. However it's silly for you to ignore the fact he missed weight. I think it's obvious though if he needed to be 170.0 he could have been very, very easily and quickly. I don't think this weight issue is an issue at all. Just bizarre/weird. I don't know why they allowed the extra weight but being 170.9 with shorts and underwear on would still have GSP very close to 170.0. I guess he didn't want to get all butt naked on stage? I don't know. It's just weird and it's all on the commission.

If GSP needed to be 170.0 he could have been very easily and with little to no effort and still had the exact same outcome in his fight. Important to note that as well.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins   Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 11:57 am

It's a non-issue to me. Now if the roles were reversed and Diaz was, possibly, 100 grams heavier than GSP and won every round, I would be crying bloody, nothing. If GSP made a stink about it, it would just make me think he was a huge pussy.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins   Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 12:05 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
It's a non-issue to me. Now if the roles were reversed and Diaz was, possibly, 100 grams heavier than GSP and won every round, I would be crying bloody, nothing. If GSP made a stink about it, it would just make me think he was a huge pussy.

I think it's a non issue which makes it more bizarre. Why would the commission even do it to begin with? GSP didn't need the extra allowance, so why do it? GSP did nothing wrong, he came in at or under the limit they told him. IMO it was just a dumb call by the commission. I just think it's weird. No impact on the fight, just weird. The commission seems to be unorganized and it makes them look silly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins   Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 12:14 pm

Nick just wants a rematch.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins   Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 12:21 pm

freakzilla wrote:
Nick just wants a rematch.

He should sue the commission. Then fight Maia.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins   Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins Empty

Back to top Go down

Georges St-Pierre says he weighed 170.4 pounds at UFC 158 weigh-ins
Page 1 of 1