Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3

Go down 
+3
GDPofDRC
Ali
Farmer1906
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 Empty
PostSubject: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3   Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 8:33 am

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/02/anthony-pettis-drops-to-145-meets-ufc-featherweight-champ-jose-aldo-on-aug-3

Two of the most dynamic strikers in all of mixed martial arts will meet Aug. 3 as Anthony Pettis (16-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) is dropping from lightweight to 145 pounds to challenge current champion Jose Aldo (22-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) for the UFC featherweight title.

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Monday learned of the booking from UFC President Dana White.

"Two of the baddest dudes in the fight business are going to fight at 145 pounds," White said. "These guys are two of the most amazing, gravity-defying athletes in the sport. I am so pumped for this fight."

White said the company currently is seeking a venue for the as-yet-unannounced event and that sites in Texas, Chicago, Las Vegas and Rio de Janeiro are all under consideration. Aldo vs. Pettis is expected to headline the card.

Aldo on Saturday defended his title with a unanimous decision win over former lightweight champ Frankie Edgar at UFC 156 in Las Vegas. Afterward, Pettis texted White and requested the matchup.

"Aldo is a tremendous fighter," Pettis said. "I have all the respect in the world for his skills. I just want to be one of the best in the world, and the only way to do that is to beat the best."

The 26-year-old Pettis is best known for this December 2010 win over current UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson in the final event for the now-shuttered World Extreme Cagefighting promotion. In that bout, "Showtime" clinched a decision win by leaping off the cage wall and knocking down his opponent with a flying kick to the face. After dropping a decision to Clay Guida in his UFC debut, Pettis has since put together a three-fight win streak that includes back-to-back "Knockout of the Night" wins over top contenders Joe Lauzon and, just 10 days ago, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone.

Meanwhile, Brazilian striker Aldo boasts a 15-fight win streak and has not tasted defeat since 2005. He's earned 11 career first-round stoppages and possesses some of the sharpest and most devastating muay Thai skills in the sport. Still, tae kwon do black belt Pettis believes he's capable of upsetting the 26-year-old champ.

"I wouldn't call him out if I didn't really feel confident I could beat him," Pettis said.

Pettis was expected to challenge for the UFC lightweight title later this year against the winner of an April championship bout between current champ Henderson and Strikeforce import Gilbert Melendez. However, the Milwaukee native said he wasn't comfortable waiting around and instead will now face one of the sport's top pound-for-pound fighters.

"It's a superfight, and I want to be a part of these fights," Pettis said.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3   Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 8:34 am

Hell yeah! But not for 6 months?
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3   Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 9:08 am

Lama is pissed.

"He stole 'Knockout of the Night' from me, and then he had to send that text out," Lamas today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

"That text" is a message relayed by White during the post-event press conference for UFC 156, which took place this past Saturday at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

"I'm kind of sitting here like, 'What am I, a mirage?' That's exactly what I tweeted Dana White, actually," Lamas said. "I'm just sitting here trying to figure out where I fit in in all of this."

Today, Lamas stressed he would wait for Aldo for six months if asked to by the UFC, or he would take the title shot in three months. He also said he would take a main event or co-main event if the promotion decided to skip over him. But that's clearly not what he thinks is the right thing to do.

At featherweight, he should be first.

"I've put in the work at 145 pounds," Lamas said. "I've done everything I need to do, and I should be next in line for that shot."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3   Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 9:43 am

Lamas is pissed and nobody cares.
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3   Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 12:39 pm

Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3   Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 1:24 pm

No complaints from me. Pettis is a worthy challenger. Though 145 should have a beef after two 155 fighters in a row take the title matches, but still, there should be two clear cut challengers in the 145 ranks by the end of August.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3   Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 3:14 pm

I'm not all that upset Lamas isn't getting the shot here. Lamas only has four fights at featherweight now. Kind of hard for him to say he's getting screwed over here despite his performances.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3   Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 10:32 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
No complaints from me. Pettis is a worthy challenger. Though 145 should have a beef after two 155 fighters in a row take the title matches, but still, there should be two clear cut challengers in the 145 ranks by the end of August.

This. 145 needs to build up more challengers for Aldo and this time will allow that.
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3   Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Quote :
Mike Goldberg: And this is the year of Superfights.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3   Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 4:45 pm

Just not feeling this. I'll enjoy watching it but I'd rather see it at 155. Pettis made it clear he still cares about the LW belt more, even if he wins he won't be staying there. He probably could've fought Bendo before August anyway so it doesn't make sense on that level either. Oh well
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3   Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 5:19 pm

Bigger fight, tougher challenge, guaranteed title shot, and the opportunity to hold belts at 2 weight classes. I want the winner to call out Bendo and leave the division.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3   Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
Bigger fight, tougher challenge, guaranteed title shot, and the opportunity to hold belts at 2 weight classes. I want the winner to call out Bendo and leave the division.

So you're completely discounting Gilbert Melendez?
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3   Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 9:51 pm

6 months away

no chance it really happens, Aldo and Pettis just never end up in the planned fight
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3   Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 10:18 pm

freakzilla wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:

So you're completely discounting Gilbert Melendez?

Pretty much. Obviously anything can happen but I think Benfo bears Gil fairly convincingly.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3   Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 12:44 am

anyone remember when I put Bendo in my top 10 p4p and LA went crazy on me????
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3   Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 6:38 am

The good news about this is it could lead to Aldo vs. Bendo near the end of the year.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3   Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 3:22 am

I'm really surprised that Pettis even wants to drop weight, Aldo dispatches him easily at 145. At 55 Pettis may be on a more level playing field in the speed department at least.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3   Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 12:31 pm

Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 6522
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3   Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 10:50 pm

If Pettis wins, where does he rank on the P4P list? Does he defend the FW belt? Does Aldo get an immediate rematch?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3   Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 11:09 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
If Pettis wins, where does he rank on the P4P list? Does he defend the FW belt? Does Aldo get an immediate rematch?

All depends on how he wins.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3   Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3
Page 1 of 1