Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year Empty
PostSubject: Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year   Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 5:33 am

Quote :
British heavyweight David Price first set foot in a boxing gym at age 11, but he didn't like it.

"I tagged along with some older lads," he said. "I was big for my age, so I sparred with the older lads. I didn't like it and I went back and played football -- what you call soccer. That was my big passion."

But when Price realized he wasn't good enough to play his chosen sport professionally, he gave boxing another chance at age 14, when a friend asked him to come along to the gym.

"When I went back, I liked everything about it," Price said. "I liked the smell of leather and the gloves. I was training and they put me in some sparring. I loved it. From there, I carried on. I was obsessed."

That obsession led the Liverpool native to an amateur record of about 75-15, including a bronze medal in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Four years later, he's one of boxing's hottest rising stars and the 2012 ESPN.com prospect of the year.

At 6-foot-8, 250 pounds -- and with a thunderous right hand -- the 29-year-old Price (15-0, 13 KOs) is built like a 21st-century heavyweight and has tremendous upside in a division in need of new blood. He is on the verge of major fights after going 4-0 in 2012 and requiring fewer than eight full rounds to crush his opponents.

He buzzed through some of Britain's best-known heavyweights: John McDermott (first-round knockout), Sam Sexton (KO4, to win the vacant British and Commonwealth titles), 2000 Olympic gold medalist and former world title challenger Audley Harrison (KO1) and ex-world title challenger Matt Skelton (KO2).

Price is taking a significant step up in competition on Feb. 23 (WealthTV) in Liverpool against American Tony Thompson, the longtime contender whose two world title shots ended in knockout losses to champ Wladimir Klitschko, the man many expect Price to face eventually.

But Price, who is trained by Franny Smith, is in no hurry.

"I have got expectations of myself, but with 15 fights, I'm still gaining experience," said Price, who lives with his girlfriend and their two children. "It's a compliment to me at an early stage of my career that people think I can challenge Klitschko. But I've only been a pro four years. I could be knocking on the door by the end of [2013]. If I can do a better job on Thompson than Klitschko did, that can propel me. That's massive motivation for me.

"I do want to move on to world level. When I get there I want to stay there, not just be a guy who fought for the world title and put up a good showing. I want to win it and stay there. I think it'd be foolish to think I could beat Wladimir or [older brother and fellow titlist] Vitali [Klitschko] right now. They've been at the top for so long. Ability-wise, I could probably match them, but experience comes into it. I have to get stronger and get rounds under my belt. That will come. It's not that I lack self-belief. It's being realistic."

Promoter Frank Maloney knows a thing or two about developing heavyweights. He was the guiding force behind Lennox Lewis' ascent to the championship. He believes Price can follow in those large footsteps.

"I see a lot of Lennox Lewis in David Price," said Maloney, who was so eager to sign Price that he did so just after being hospitalized for a heart attack. "I was on the verge of walking away from boxing, but he signed with me the day before my heart operation.

"David is a clinical finisher. When David gets you in trouble, he will not take a backward step. He will finish you, and that's what excites you. The right hand is unbelievable and he's learned to deliver it like a bolt. I'm beginning to believe that David has improved so much that if he doesn't win a world title, I will count myself as a failure and I'll walk away from boxing. It will be the biggest disappointment of my life."

Price said Maloney shouldn't worry.

"I do really believe if I fulfill my potential, I can achieve the heavyweight championship," he said. "I will do everything in my power to make it happen."

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/8784628/david-price

Rafael's prospects of the year

2012: David Price
2011: Gary Russell Jr.
2010: Canelo Alvarez
2009: Daniel Jacobs
2008: Victor Ortiz
2007: Amir Khan
2006: Andre Berto
2005: Joel Julio
2004: Samuel Peter
2003: Jermain Taylor
2002: Miguel Cotto
2001: Francisco Bojado
2000: Julio Diaz
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year   Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 6:20 pm

And he just got knocked out in the second round by Tony Thompson.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year   Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 9:32 pm

Lol at him and his fans saying he would beat Wlad.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year   Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 9:39 pm

Ninja wrote:
Lol at him and his fans saying he would beat Wlad.

There's only one man who's going to dethrone Wladimir......

Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year Kimboslice-boxer
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year   Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 1:25 am

Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year 736256210
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year   Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 1:28 am

haha this is a really funny thread before reading any of it i was just going to fuck with you and say ESPN was wrong lol

Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year   Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 1:28 am

on that note, Tony Thompson would probably be a HW champ if the Klitschkos weren't around
Back to top Go down
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year   Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 1:36 am

Birdofthad wrote:
on that note, Tony Thompson would probably be a HW champ if the Klitschkos weren't around

Nah I think Povetkin, Haye and Arreola take care of Thompson. Price was only on his 15th fight and has been known to have a shaky chin in the amateurs.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year   Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 1:53 am

Ali* wrote:
Birdofthad wrote:

Nah I think Povetkin, Haye and Arreola take care of Thompson. Price was only on his 15th fight and has been known to have a shaky chin in the amateurs.

I think the title would have bounced around like it did in the 80s after Holmes, Thompson has beat some good fighters and he gave Wlad one of his toughest fights imo, which isnt saying much considering he has had cake walks the last 5 years
Back to top Go down
cheekynffc
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : froch, hatton, benn, duran, hagler, ponce de leon

PostSubject: Re: Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year   Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 5:01 am

dan rafaels prospects of the year keep getting knocked out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year   Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year Empty

Back to top Go down

Heavyweight David Price is ESPN's Prospect of The Year
Page 1 of 1