Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year

Go down 
+8
hardcoreBEE24
Diego408
Groundhog_Day
powerpuncher
Hillsicc303
marbleheadmaui
SlickMoneyXL
NJBeatdown86
12 posters
AuthorMessage

This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year Empty
PostSubject: This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year   This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 11:22 pm

Former four division champion Roy Jones Jr., currently on a tour of Europe, told The Sun that he plans to have a face-to-face meeting with WBA heavyweight champion David Haye in an effort to convince the British champion to fight him at Wembley Stadium in 2011.

"I am meeting David and will tell him that we can give the world a great fight. I want one more run at the title," Jones said.

Jones captured the WBA heavyweight title in 2003 with a twelve round decision of John Ruiz, who Haye knocked out earlier this year. He moved back to light heavyweight in the same year without defending his heavyweight title and was later stripped for not facing the mandatory. Jones was beaten in his last two ring appearances; a first round TKO to IBO cruiserweight champion Danny Green last December, and a twelve round decision to Bernard Hopkins in April.

He was scheduled to return against Danny Santiago this month but withdrew after suffering a hand injury in training camp. Haye defends his title against Audley Harrison on November 13 in Manchester.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=31785
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

Favorite Fighter(s) : Highlander, Ricardo Romero,Roman Gonzalez, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, Marco Huck, JMM, Frankie Edgar, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year   This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 11:25 pm

Roy needs to be saved from himself
Back to top Go down
SlickMoneyXL
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
SlickMoneyXL

Favorite Fighter(s) : Miguel Cotto, Efrain Escudero

PostSubject: Re: This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year   This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 11:26 pm

Wouldnt surprise me if Haye took the fight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year   This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 11:30 pm

SlickMoneyXL wrote:

I knew someone would say that eventually.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year   This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 12:14 am

SlickMoneyXL wrote:

You kidding? If he gets the chance he takes it in a freaking heartbeat. Then he's gonna call out Kenny Norton.
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

Favorite Fighter(s) : Highlander, Ricardo Romero,Roman Gonzalez, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, Marco Huck, JMM, Frankie Edgar, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year   This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 12:16 am

Haye vs. Sultan Ibragimov
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year   This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 12:16 am

On a more serious note this is really depressing to hear, it's time commissions and family members stopped Roy from fighting.
Back to top Go down
Hillsicc303
White Belt
White Belt

PostSubject: Re: This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year   This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 12:21 am

Let's hope takes the fight and permanently shuts down RJJ. It's the only way to stop the madness...
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year   This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 12:23 am

Ali wrote:
On a more serious note this is really depressing to hear, it's time commissions and family members stopped Roy from fighting.

I dunno. While it's very hard for me to watch old, once great and now mediocre fighters I'm starting to come around to the point of view that fighters fight and who am I to tell another how to live his life or make a living? I mean a medical condition is one thing, but otherwise if a guy is fulfilled by fighting and wants to take the risk and can draw a crowd? Who the hell am I to say no? Maybe the best example is Johnny Tapia. Anyone want to make the case that even in his late forties he is better off NOT fighting?

Is there any other human activity where a man is risking only himself and we just arbitrarily say "Nope, you can't do it anymore?" I mean some companies have such policies, but we don't stop a 65 year old from starting his own company for example.

I realize these old fighters are courting disaster...but they are only risking themselves. Isn't that their call?
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year   This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 12:25 am

jones is ruining his own legacy. for the past couple of years the only jones that we think about anymore is the old jones that cant fight anymore. i feel like im forgetting what the prime jones was capable of.
Back to top Go down
Groundhog_Day
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
Groundhog_Day

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny Pacquiao

PostSubject: Re: This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year   This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 12:38 am

If Jones spends the rest of his career fighting soft opposition, that's fine. No way should he go near a 6'3" 220 pound fighter with a big punch.
Back to top Go down
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Marquez Brothers, Robert Guerrero, Abner Mares, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, Devon Alexander, Jose Benavidez Jr and Nick Diaz

PostSubject: Re: This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year   This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 1:25 am

If it ever happens, Haye should knock Jones Out in 1 round, I'll be upset if it goes passed the first.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

PostSubject: Re: This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year   This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 3:14 am

Why is anyone sad about this? You guys want Roy to stop fighting? The best way to get him to stop fighting is to put him up against a heavyweight that can crack. Haye might literally kill Jones into retirement.

On the other hand if Haye in fact takes this fight he will lose the shred of respect that he clings to and he'll surely fade into Bolivian.

This fight has to get made: It's win freakin' win baby!!!
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year   This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 7:52 am

haye is about easy money and thats what jones realizes..jones brings nothing to the table and that jones does not realize.haye may think in ppv numbers and the jones-hopkins fight did what again...almost zero.jones looking to cash in on hayes popularity in england..ill be shocked if haye agrees.
a fight withj a mediocre HW from britan with a somewhat following is more likely the jones...if he says yes to this fight them marbles right norton then ali are next for haye..holmes frazier and foreman nooo..there still dangerous ...
this path has been done since day one in boxing..far greater fighters then jones have gone the same route.fighters who i wouldnt dare to put jones name in the same breath with..as a teenager i read with saddnes the great ez charles getting beat by fighters that years ago would not qualify to be his sparing partner.does donny fleeman ring a bell..sam langford lingered on..jack johnson climbed into the ring at almost 60 years old..roberto duran overweight pushing 50 gets stopped by a club fighter..
marbles correct.it is roy jones jrs foolish call.he will go on for a few more fights against nobodys or washed up names untill a young bull destroys him..
haye vs hollifield is more likely..if that fight happens it will be a rare time ill root for haye to put on a clinic of destruction...
tunney marciano lennox lewis hagler mike spinks are the rare ones maybe even joe calzache..quit when your on top..yes you can lose one fight like spinks and say thats it and still go out on top..barney ross is another one who said im done at the right time..
i agree to a certain point jones will be remebered by some fans for his efforts on his last few fights..tyson is a victom of that already..
i dont see jones fighting for 1000 dollars like the greatest of them all did sugar ray robinson..thats not a consolation at all..jones is looking for a big payday he doesnt deserve..wanting to cash in on someone elses coatails..haye should dismiss this challenge as a joke and tell roy your not worthy...for once ill applaude haye if he says that cause nooo one in there right mind would disagree or say hayes ducking jones.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year   This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 12:41 pm

Ali wrote:
SlickMoneyXL wrote:

He is w/GBP who put Hopkins vs Jones II on PPV
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year   This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 4:07 pm

well thats one way for jones to officially end his career.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year   This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 7:37 pm

Why didn't Roy Jones want to push himself when he was in his late 20s/early 30s?? He waited until father time caught up with him.

Oh yeah-fight fans continually watched his fights and HBO put him on, even when he was fighting cops and cab drivers. Why did he need to push himself in his prime when fans watched and networks paid him a ton to face so so opposition.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year   This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 11:41 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:
SlickMoneyXL wrote:

He is w/GBP who put Hopkins vs Jones II on PPV

Stop with that nonsense, Haye never fought Hopkins like you said he would.

Everyone thinks now that Audley is getting a shot Haye's going to continue facing unworthy opponents, you have to realize Sky Sports pushed heavily for this fight, they wanted an all domestic showdown since there hasn't been one since Lewis vs Bruno.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year   This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 12:54 pm

Ali wrote:
Stop with that nonsense, Haye never fought Hopkins like you said he would.

Everyone thinks now that Audley is getting a shot Haye's going to continue facing unworthy opponents, you have to realize Sky Sports pushed heavily for this fight, they wanted an all domestic showdown since there hasn't been one since Lewis vs Bruno.

LOL

Yes because Fraudley is that much better, Hopkins would of been a much better fight!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year   This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year Empty

Back to top Go down

This is really sad, Roy Jones wants to fight David Haye next year
Page 1 of 1