Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight

Go down 
+3
hardcoreBEE24
captainanddew
Canvas
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight Empty
PostSubject: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 11:34 pm

JENNA: Alright, well the question that’s been on a lot of boxing fan’s minds, they haven’t heard much from you of late, they’re wondering if you’re going to continue your boxing career and if you are against who?

HOPKINS: Yes, I am continuing my boxing career and hopefully it will be for the heavyweight championship of the world with David Haye who was formerly a cruiserweight champion about two years ago and he won the heavyweight championship last summer, I believe. I’m looking to capture that and make history with another feather in my cap and go to the Hall of Fame within five or six years.

JENNA: David Haye’s last bout obviously was against John Ruiz. He looked pretty impressive. You say that you want to move up to heavyweight. Do you think you will be a little bit too outsized for that weight division?

HOPKINS: Not from a David Haye type of guy because he is not really a natural heavyweight. Klitschko, yes, that’s a different story. When you’re dealing with heavyweights you’re dealing with size, but we know from history that size in the heavyweight division has not been a major factor with who becomes champion and who doesn’t. I think when you look at the experience from one guy who’s six feet tall, who’s always been a big middleweight, who jumped up two weight classes and became the light heavyweight champion of the world by beating Antonio Tarver, which people thought was unheard of. They don’t understand that if I wasn’t as disciplined as I was I could have easily been 190 four years ago, but on a six foot frame and maybe a quarter, I can eat now and I can do the right things to get the weight but not the bulk and become a force for that one particular fight.

I remember Michael Spinks, and you know that name—Michael Spinks. He wasn’t a big guy. He was a real awkward guy, but not a big guy. As a matter of fact he was the same height as me. He beat Larry Holmes. Larry Holmes is a big guy, even at sixty-something years old. I was in Easton about two months ago and he’s got a bigger stomach but he’s pretty big. I think it comes down to the athlete and the person and also the strategy and also the cross your fingers every now and then inside that fight. Look, I could hit David Haye a lot of times but if he hits me one or two times it’s over. I think that’s the risk and that’s also the anticipation of what can, and what won’t, and what will happen. That sells and that curiosity that most of the time kills the cat is all about what people come out to see. A train wreck or they come out to see history.

JENNA: Now we actually got the chance to speak to your trainer, Naazim Richardson, after you beat Roy Jones Junior and he said that he didn’t really agree with the idea of you going up to heavyweight. Have you talked to him since then and has he changed his stance at all?

HOPKINS: Yeah, he still thinks I’m crazy but I think that Naazim understands that if Bernard Hopkins wants to do something, if Bernard Hopkins wants something he gets it. It might be a year from now. It might be six months from now. I won’t stalk him or her, but I will be in their presence every time to let them know I am there. It won’t be an ignorant way. It will be in a way of this guy’s still standing around, and guess what? Who else is he going to fight? Look, even if he gets somebody tomorrow it is what it is. I want to, but I’m not in a situation where this defines my legacy, and you know it doesn’t. What it will do is just have people say, ‘Wait a minute, this guy is forty-five years old, he hired Mackie Shilstone who made history with him twice. We got to take this guy seriously. I mean David Haye can have a bad day. He’s human. We know he has losses, but Bernard’s been the underdog and he always came through 99.9% of the time’. That’s what the record says.

I know that being a heavyweight I’ll probably be a ten to one underdog and I’ll know that people could be wrong that night. A lot of nights in my career they had to eat crow. They had to eat crow. Listen, to go on this stage at this part of my life and my career, it has to be something where the risk is going to be so huge for Bernard Hopkins to even be taking it seriously. They might not agree I’ll win, but they’ll come to see if it’s the first time Bernard Hopkins is going to be knocked out and beat up. Is this the first time Bernard Hopkins bit off more than he can chew?

How many athletes do you know in any sport that’s willing to take that risk to fail, to win. That separates the goods from the greats, man and woman. This is something man. I’m this guy who’s willing to do that. I’m willing to do what I have to do and history will show that Bernard Hopkins was somebody that doesn’t come along all the time. When you name the Jordans, they can say anything they want about Lebron. I love him. I watch him play and I’m going to continue to watch him, but at the end of the day he’s no Jordan. He’s no Jordan. He has the potential to walk on the side of history with him.

JENNA: When you look at David Haye and you see him as a heavyweight, what is your analysis of him? What do you think of him and what do you think of the move that he’s made so far?

HOPKINS: I think he made a great move. I know David Haye. I’ve met David Haye. We trained in the same gym in Florida before he became the cruiserweight champ. So we have some kind of history. He came to my fight when I fought Joe Calzaghe to give me blessings and he was rooting for me. He came in the dressing room and stood beside me, but at the end of the day it’s a business. He made a business move that I think was excellent in his career and one of them was coming to Golden Boy Promotion. Another one is that he has an opportunity to at least bring some sanity into the heavyweight division, whether I’m there or not. Why? Because he has a personality.

He talks that you-know-what just like I do. He’s not a bad looking guy, he’s strong, and if Haye cracks you you’re going to sleep most people, and he has vulnerability there. People look for that. That sells, because he can be cracked, too. So when you have that type of personality, he can talk, he can hold a press conference. Could you imagine? Just the press conference alone with B-Hop and David Haye, can you imagine his personality and my personality? I mean you will really have to take a vote on who won these. I mean every tour would be exciting. You won’t have a boring tour. Forget eating the bagels and drinking the coffee.

This is the type of personality that doesn’t come along all the time in boxing. So when you have personalities that clash like that, Antonio Tarver-Bernard Hopkins, Roy Jones-Bernard Hopkins, I mean it’s good stuff for you all. We’re serious most of the time, most of the time we’re serious. Yeah, we’re funny every now and then but most of the time we are serious. The fans and the media eat it up and they promote it the way it deserved to be promoted without overhyping it or under-hyping it. It is what it is. Can Bernard Hopkins pull another rabbit out of the hat? Question mark, two of them.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=24613&more=1
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 12:07 am

AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Hopkins will do or say anything to advance himself.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 8:27 am

BHOP needs to go away
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 9:46 am

Just giving David Haye a bit of his own medicine.
Back to top Go down
UBeeg9cats
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 10:59 am

If BHop is to fight again, I have only one scenario for a somewhat nice legacy fight that he has a chance in. If Cunningham fought Wlodarczyk and won, he would be the CW Ring/lineal champ. That fight would end a trilogy that is tied 1-1 at the moment. BHop vs Cunningham in Philly for THE championship would be a nice farewell. Cunningham is light-hitting cruiser. Unfortunately, I see no chance that scenario happens. Cunningham is looking elsewhere, will be fighting in Europe, and BHop would not take a low money fight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 11:19 am

UBeeg9cats wrote:
If BHop is to fight again, I have only one scenario for a somewhat nice legacy fight that he has a chance in. If Cunningham fought Wlodarczyk and won, he would be the CW Ring/lineal champ. That fight would end a trilogy that is tied 1-1 at the moment. BHop vs Cunningham in Philly for THE championship would be a nice farewell. Cunningham is light-hitting cruiser. Unfortunately, I see no chance that scenario happens. Cunningham is looking elsewhere, will be fighting in Europe, and BHop would not take a low money fight.

That was actually being explored at one stage, however Cunningham bumped into Adamek and it went kaput.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 12:10 pm

Bhop could have made $ 4 million fighting Green at a comfortable weight in Australia. That fight would have been winnable.

Instead, Bernard (as usual) increased his demands at the last minute and priced himself out and instead fought the career-killing Jones fight for substantialy less $.

Bernard's greed and unreasonable negotiating style bit him in the ass.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 12:13 pm

All GBP Fight

Probably happens
Back to top Go down
UBeeg9cats
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 12:26 pm

Canvas wrote:
Bhop could have made $ 4 million fighting Green at a comfortable weight in Australia. That fight would have been winnable.

Instead, Bernard (as usual) increased his demands at the last minute and priced himself out and instead fought the career-killing Jones fight for substantialy less $.

Bernard's greed and unreasonable negotiating style bit him in the ass.

It is sad but I think BHop made around 3 mil for the RJJ fight. Remember the contract said Bernard got the first 3 mil and Roy got the next 3. It did like 150,000 or 175,000 times $50 gets you at least 7.5 mil which half goes to cable and other venues. That cut might be smaller since GBP did the PPV themselves. Anyways, half of it is still 3.75 mil and I bet BHop got his 3. Besides BHop said he didn't want to go over to Europe, remember?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 12:29 pm

Why not BHOP? David Gaye wont fight anyone worth a shit in the HW division.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 12:32 pm

I doubt Hopkins even got his end topped to 3, but it's possible. Jones got nothing-LOL at him.

Isn't it funny how Hopkins recognized the Ring belt as the true championship when he won it from Tarver and went on record saying Adamek was the real champ at cruiser when he had it, but now all of a sudden David Hype is the heavyweight champ of the world?
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 1:24 pm

soonermark890 wrote:

LOL +1.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 1:38 pm

This reveals Hopkins' character after his promise to his dying mother. $ overrides all else for BHop.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 3:32 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
All GBP Fight

Probably happens

Haye's already said he's not interested in the fight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 3:32 pm

soonermark890 wrote:

How many titles has Allan Green won again ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 3:43 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:

Hey I would rather Green not win won than pretend to be a champ who wont fight anyone because he is a pussy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 3:44 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:

Hey I would rather Green not win won than pretend to be a champ who wont fight anyone because he is a pussy.

Haye's a multiple weight champion with wins over top ten guys, who has Green beaten ?
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 3:45 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:

He also said he'd fight the Klitschkos
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 3:50 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

He also said he'd fight the Klitschkos

Haye's not going to fight one of his idols, the only guy who's interested in this fight is Bernard he's alone on the idea. His trainer and his promoters have both told him to retire.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 3:59 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:

Haye's a multiple weight champion with wins over top ten guys, who has Green beaten ?
Well at least Green is fighting what is Haye doing. Modeling? LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 4:02 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:

He's appearing on talk shows and flaunting his Heavyweight title, meanwhile Green is buying comic books and not winning rounds against top opponents.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 4:09 pm

If you have to resort to talking garbage about Green to make Haye look better, then oh, how the mighty have fallen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 4:11 pm

captainanddew wrote:
If you have to resort to talking garbage about Green to make Haye look better, then oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Stay out of this sir, it's a childish back and fourth me and Mark like to engage in occasionally Wink
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 4:16 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
Haye's not going to fight one of his idols, the only guy who's interested in this fight is Bernard he's alone on the idea. His trainer and his promoters have both told him to retire.

LOL!

Your kidding if you really think this fight DOESNT have a serious chance of happening

Haye vs Harrison or Haye vs Hopkins?

B Hop the better fight thats easier to sell
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 5:32 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:

He's appearing on talk shows and flaunting his Heavyweight title, meanwhile Green is buying comic books and not winning rounds against top opponents.
You just said it Green is fighting top opponents and David Gaye is going on the British version of The View.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight   Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight Empty

Back to top Go down

Bernard Hopkins has gone senile, still wants David Haye at Heavyweight
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next