Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training  Empty
PostSubject: Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training    Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training  EmptyThu May 31, 2012 3:13 pm

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/5/31/3055085/student-at-urijah-fabers-gym-paralyzed-during-training
Devin Johnson, 22, was sparring at the facility, located on the 1700 block of I Street on May 14 when he fell while in a headlock.

When Devin arrived at UC Davis Medical Center he was paralyzed. The impact from the fall dislocated Devin's spine.

"What Mr. Johnson, unfortunately, had was injury between his fourth and fifth spine in his neck," said Dr. Kee Kim, Chief of Spinal Neurosurgery at UC Davis Medical Center.

Johnson's spine slipped and caused damage to the spinal cord, causing what's called facet fracture-dislocation. Kim used a metal implant to stabilize Johnson's spine. It was his first time treating a patient who suffered a spinal cord injury from MMA.

It appears this was a takedown attempt while in a guillotine choke which caused the paralysis.
[flash][/flash]
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training    Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training  EmptyThu May 31, 2012 3:14 pm

Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training  3051595472887_ORIG_JPG_large
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training    Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training  EmptyThu May 31, 2012 3:47 pm

OU wrote:
Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training  3051595472887_ORIG_JPG_large

The fuck is everyone smiling for?
Back to top Go down
jewzilla
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
jewzilla

Favorite Fighter(s) : GOAT: GSP. Favorite retired: Brock, Chuck. Always supporting: Hendo, Chael, Cerrone, Forrest, Faber.

PostSubject: Re: Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training    Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training  EmptyThu May 31, 2012 3:52 pm

Ludo wrote:
OU wrote:

The fuck is everyone smiling for?

My guess would be that the young man could have died, but did not.

Also the kid is smiling himself.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training    Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training  EmptyThu May 31, 2012 3:55 pm

Got to keep your spirits high in shitty situations. You gotta do what you can man. It would be pretty fucked up if they posted a pic of everyone sobbing.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training    Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training  EmptyThu May 31, 2012 3:59 pm

I realize morale is important during tough times and all, but the kid just got turned into a parallelogram at the age of 22.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training    Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training  EmptyThu May 31, 2012 4:03 pm

Ludo wrote:
I realize morale is important during tough times and all, but the kid just got turned into a parallelogram at the age of 22.
I'm really not sure what to make of your comments honestly. You take issue with an optimistic attitude? You want a pic of a devastated family? What are your thoughts on that football player from Rutgers and his extremely optimistic personality? My sister was paralyzed when she 14, completely different situation but man you gotta move forward the best you can. I'm glad he is smiling right now.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training    Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training  EmptyThu May 31, 2012 4:14 pm

I'm not taking an issue with it, I just find it very bizarre that someone who just suffered the most devastating setback of their life is smiling a few days later for a camera. I know I wouldn't want to talk to anyone let alone smile for quite a while if I was face to face with the realization that I'll never even walk again, let alone pursue a dream like MMA again. Optimism is one thing, but everyone smiling like it's Christmas morning just strikes Me as odd here.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training    Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training  EmptyThu May 31, 2012 4:21 pm

Ludo wrote:
I'm not taking an issue with it, I just find it very bizarre that someone who just suffered the most devastating setback of their life is smiling a few days later for a camera. I know I wouldn't want to talk to anyone let alone smile for quite a while if I was face to face with the realization that I'll never even walk again, let alone pursue a dream like MMA again. Optimism is one thing, but everyone smiling like it's Christmas morning just strikes Me as odd here.
Is it confirmed that he will never walk again? I haven't read that much into it, so I'm not really sure. I'm sure he has had a fair share of visitors wishing him well. I'm sure there are still plenty of moments where he wants to be alone and his spirits aren't so high. I look at it more as a positive and hope he has a positive outlook personally. There are still things in life to smile about. I wish the kid well.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training    Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training  EmptyThu May 31, 2012 8:24 pm

That sucks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training    Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training  Empty

Back to top Go down

Student At Urijah Faber's Gym Paralyzed During Training
Page 1 of 1