Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Jim Lampley on his new show that debuts on May 12th

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Jim Lampley on his new show that debuts on May 12th Empty
PostSubject: Jim Lampley on his new show that debuts on May 12th   Jim Lampley on his new show that debuts on May 12th EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 2:39 pm

Quote :
Four-time Sports Emmy Award winning broadcaster Jim Lampley spoke to RingTV.com regarding his new boxing show, The Fight Game, to be aired on HBO beginning on May 12 at midnight.

Lampley said the show would deal with the news and issues surrounding the sport, including perhaps those involving WBC welterweight beltholder Floyd Mayweather Jr. and WBO counterpart Manny Pacquiao, among other things.

Lampley spoke in more detail about the venture in this Q&A.

RingTV.com: So can you give an overview of the show?

Jim Lampley: Well, it's a 30-minute show, and it's entirely for the boxing cult. And it's entirely about things that we see on the air, on our network and others in our sport.

I don't think anything like it has existed before, and I'm very, very excited about that.

RingTV.com: Can you reveal what sort of subject matter will be death with?

JL: Any and all, I would hope. Let's say that you were sitting down at a bar, and you were discussing boxing for an hour, let's say, with five other writers.

Given the day-to-day news landscape in our sport, with all of the things that go on, the things that you read about day-to-day in your reports and the reports of other writers and the blogosphere, anything is fair game.

So we'll talk about what happens in the ring, we'll talk about things in a business context, we'll talk about what kinds of things are happening in the culture as it relates to boxing.

RingTV.com: Examples?

JL: What if there's something going on on another network similar to things that we've done, such as 24/7, or, On Freddie Roach, I might review it.

If there's a movie, like The Fighter, I might review it. But that would the softest kind of material. Most of the material is going to be news, and legitimate news that is going on in boxing.

RingTV.com: So you would talk about the out-of-the-ring problems relating to Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao?

JL: Everything is fair game, and the ultimate focus is who beats whom and how and what that does to the hierarchy of the sport. That's the ultimate focus for everybody.

But, our sport is different from all other sports in that every event begins with a primary question, which is, "why are these two guys fighting each other?"

You don't have to do that with NFL football or Major League Baseball or college basketball, because there is a schedule that tells you why these teams are playing each other. But in our sport, there is no schedule, and there is no mandatory.

You can say that there are mandatories because the so-called governing bodies confront them. But at the end of the day, it's the fighters that do the business they want to do.

So at the end of the day, just as it is the case with every fight, our show begins from the perspective of "why are these guys fighting each other?" And then, we'll go forward from there.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/172033-qaa-lampleys-qfight-gameq-to-address-boxing-news-issues
Back to top Go down

Jim Lampley on his new show that debuts on May 12th
Page 1 of 1