Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division.

Go down 
+4
GolbeZ
Andrew the Raider King
ohiovol62
Wolfgangsta
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division. Empty
PostSubject: The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division.   The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division. EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 12:19 am

For some stupid, unknown reason, people still question Fedor's opponents. Let's look at this again.

Tim Sylvia - Was at that time the sherdog.com 5th ranked fighter, fresh off a UFC title fight where he dominated the then and current top five ranked Nog for three rounds before finally making a fatal mistake. Was picked as the favourite by the entire ESPN panel. Left the UFC on his own terms since Affliction offered him more money. The UFC offered him the same deal he had, and he turned it down.

Andrei Arlovski - Was at the time the number 2 ranked HW, was coming off of dominating knockouts in his last three fights, left the UFC on his own terms. Some say he has a glass jaw, but he has only ever been KO'd by two 265 pound guys who have demonstrated repeatedly time and time again to have one punch KO power, and Fedor, the greatest of all time who has also demonstrated tremendous one punch power.

Brett Rogers - Is the number 7 ranked sherdog fighter, undefeated, coming off a devastating KO of the still number 2 ranked fighter in the world. Holds still a better record than Lesnar, Velasquez or Carwin.

There are some serious flaws in any sort of rationale that the UFC offers Fedor a slate of fighters better than who he has been fighting, and straight up intellectual dishonesty in any assertation that Fedor is ducking the UFC's HW division. Either that or assbabble from the under educated pro-wrestling convert that stink up the booming fanbase of our fledgling sport.

Of the five best UFC HW's, who were ranked or considered relevant 24 months ago?

Shane Carwin - wasn't under contract to the UFC had had zero wins over anyone in the top 50. Wasn't ranked in the top 50.

Frank Mir - Was outside the top 25, coming off of two horrific knockouts. Still has no real wins since his motorcycle accident apart from a green Lesnar who was actually destroying him and a Nog who would have been executed by Chris Redfield if he ran across him in the street that night. Was considered washed up to the UFC brass, which is why he was offered as a sacrificial lamb to...

Brock Lesnar - Wasn't under contract to the UFC. Had one fight with a nobody. Was later offered a fight against fading former champ Frank Mir, but managed to fuck that up too. Ranked outside the top 50.

Cain Velazquez - Wasn't under contract with the UFC. Had two fights total in his career, but hadn't fought since 06. Ranked outside the top 50.

Big Nog - Smashed 2.5 times by the last emperor.

I am sorry, but Florida doesn't have to beat TCU for me to think their good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division.   The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division. EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 8:08 am

I can go along with that
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division.   The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division. EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 10:24 am

Speaking of assbabble, go fuck yourself Wolf! You fucking cunted out about "How Bad" The UFC HW division was during the Arlovski/Sylvia era and now you want to retract the horseshit you said to pump up your boys record? Sing it to the choir at the next "Fedor leg humper's convention". Sylvia fat, slow and didn't last long. Arlovski, always and I do mean always had a suspect chin. Hong Man Choi was a fucking circus act, please don't try and defend it, it will make you look as stupid Sloth from the Goonies. Now we can throw in a past their prime Matt Lindland and Mark Coleman too? BTW, Brett Rogers wasn't on anybodies radar 24 months ago, but now he is stiff competition, right?

You may now lower my rep and get your toothless old lady off my dick!
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division.   The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division. EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 3:38 pm

Problem Raider queen, is that Fedor has since proved those fighters second best, and not any of the current UFC rookies. Remember, they left the UFC due to lack of competition and Dana, not because they were knocked out of the UFC. They did well inside the UFC, and were summarily crushed outside it. Not that you even watched the UFC back when they fought in it.

No one said Rogers was on anyone's radar 24 months ago, and that speaks nothing to the points I made.

As for Coleman, didn't Brock agree to fight him and sign a contract before he blew his knee, and then opted to take on a way past his prime Herring? As for Lindland, in 06 he fought Rampage in a super competitive fight and still looked world class, and was considered higher quality than Mir.

There are less than 10 UFC fighters that could take flush punches from Sylvia, Rogers or Fedor. Two super HW's and a guy who throws so hard he shatters his hand everytime it impacts a mans skull.

Andrew, do you really believe this nonsense? I mean really?
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division.   The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division. EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 3:50 pm

"Nog who would have been executed by Chris Redfield if he ran across him in the street that night"

good line.

good proast
Back to top Go down
redvexx8
Green Belt
Green Belt
redvexx8

PostSubject: Re: The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division.   The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division. EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 11:49 pm

Well put the only reason people think the current guys on the UFC roster are so great is because they havent fought Fedor yet. Rightfully so because most of them havent even been fighting that long.

You know Fedor is the GOAT when he has cleaned out the division to the point where people are wanting him to fight guys that just started MMA.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

PostSubject: Re: The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division.   The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division. EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 7:08 am

Actually Wolf, at the time Brock the Cock agreed to that, it would have been his second fight in the UFC and at that time it made sense. Two great wrestlers one on his way up the other in decline going at it looked good. Now it doesn't look good at all. And BTW, since you made me defend Brock Lesnar again if I ever meet you in your life, expect a swift kick to the balls!
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

PostSubject: Re: The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division.   The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division. EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 11:09 am

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
Actually Wolf, at the time Brock the Cock agreed to that, it would have been his second fight in the UFC and at that time it made sense. Two great wrestlers one on his way up the other in decline going at it looked good. Now it doesn't look good at all. And BTW, since you made me defend Brock Lesnar again if I ever meet you in your life, expect a swift kick to the balls!

I don't really want to get involved but you can play that game with Fedor's opponents too. HMC was a very successful kick boxer and was 1-0 in MMA coming off of a 10 sec TKO at the time he fought Fedor. Now he's a freakshow this is agreed but Fedor was coming off an injury and it was a popular fight to put on since HMC is Korean and Fedor is God in Korea. And Zulu was like 12-0 when they fought. Bottom line is when you're a MMA fighter, there's tomato cans on your resume. This is especially true with HWs because the talent level is so top heavy and thin in depth.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division.   The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division. EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 2:18 pm

ohiovol62 wrote:
Andrew the Raider King wrote:

I don't really want to get involved but you can play that game with Fedor's opponents too. HMC was a very successful kick boxer and was 1-0 in MMA coming off of a 10 sec TKO at the time he fought Fedor. Now he's a freakshow this is agreed but Fedor was coming off an injury and it was a popular fight to put on since HMC is Korean and Fedor is God in Korea. And Zulu was like 12-0 when they fought. Bottom line is when you're a MMA fighter, there's tomato cans on your resume. This is especially true with HWs because the talent level is so top heavy and thin in depth.

Agreed to a point... But, most people's criticism is that Fedor fought guys nowhere near a top-10 list when he's the undisputed King of the HW division. It would be like GSP fighting Rory MacDonald. It would be like Machida fighting Mario Miranda. It would be like BJ fighting Evan Dunham. It would be like Anderson fighting Aaron Simpson... It doesn't matter that they are undefeated or good prospects, they have no business being in the cage against the top dog, and the top dog shouldn't be taking fights against anyone but guys qualified or that have earned a shot at the King. Now, there's no arguing that his last three fights have been against the better competition available to him or that he faced some great competition during the better part of his Pride days... But, there's also no denying that he went through some cans, circus freaks and overmatched MW's during and since Pride. But, suggesting that he's not the best because of those ill advised fights is ridiculous... Hopefully, he will stay on track fighting the top guys available rather than taking on Shane DelRosario. No need giving the haters any more fuel...
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

PostSubject: Re: The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division.   The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division. EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 2:20 pm

I can go along with that
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division.   The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division. EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 2:53 pm

Lets face facts. The heavyweight division across the board isn't that great. When a fatass like Nelson can be in the top 20 it says something. When Brock who yes is huge, explosive, & has a solid wrestling background, can just decide to start fighting and immediately become a top 5 fighter that says something. When a 44 year old LHW can move up and knock off to top 10 guys (if not higher) after gets his ass kicked out of 205 that says something. When a guy working at Sam's starts fighting is all of sudden a top 10 fighter that says something.

So no I don't knock Fedor because he hasn't fought the guys in the UFC yet, but I will say the weakest division overall is the HW division.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

PostSubject: Re: The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division.   The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division. EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 3:16 pm

Alright, Farmer makes a good point. I will go along with that. Wolfy after I get done kicking your stones, you can kick mine for backslapping Farmer.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division.   The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division. EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 3:17 pm

sorry, but jsut off the top of my head didnt Arlovski get stopped by Brett Rogers, fedor, Tim sylvia, and Pedro Rizzo??????
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division.   The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division. EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 4:32 pm

Ya I forgot Rizzo here, but Rizzo, who incidentally I wrote a piece on the old ESPN forum last night for, is the most underrated HW of all time who also stopped Severn, Barnett and also beat Coleman and Rodrigez all in their primes, and at the time he fought Arlovski had stopped finished over 90% of all his opponents in his wins. No shame in that either.

I am not sure that losing to two super HW's, arguably the best striker in UFC HW history, and the best fighter in MMA history via knockout is a result of a bad chin in this division in four ounce gloves.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division.   The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division. EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 4:37 pm

true, and your right i may not say Rizzo is most underrated fighter ever. but he is easily the most underrated STRIKER by far.
He just was a great counterpuncher and that was his problem when someone would pose with him, he would pose back, he liked walking guys down or having them walk into him.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division.   The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division. EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 4:42 pm

Underrated HW. Who else is more underrated? Surely not Igor who has one tenth the quality wins that Rizzo has?
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division.   The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division. EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 4:50 pm

ooops my bad you said Underrated Heavyweight not fighter of all time, ya I would agree i cant think of any heavyweight off top of my head more underrated, maybe Marco Ruas but he didnt really compete when there was weight classes I emember watchin Severn vs Rizzzo live and just being shell shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division.   The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division. Empty

Back to top Go down

The myth of Fedor's "lack of competition" and the UFC's HW division.
Page 1 of 1