Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th

Go down 
+2
jimbojones1950
KingsOwn19
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th Empty
PostSubject: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 2:54 pm

Quote :
During his licensing hearing in front of the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Wednesday in Las Vegas, welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. told the panel under questioning that he had a deal in place to face junior middleweight titlist Miguel Cotto on May 5 at the MGM Grand.

Mayweather was ordered to appear before the commission for a hearing so the commissioners could ask him questions about the criminal case he recently made a plea deal in.

The commissioners are expected to vote on his license application at the hearing.

Mayweather faces an 87-day jail sentence at the Clark County Detention Center in Las Vegas after a plea deal on domestic violence charges related to a September 2010 incident with his ex-girlfriend, who is also the mother of three of his children.

Mayweather was supposed to begin his sentence on Jan. 6, but the judge in the case, Justice of the Peace Judge Melissa Saragosa, deferred his report date to June 1 after his attorney, Richard Wright, successfully argued that he should be allowed to fight on May 5 in order to honor an existing deal with the MGM Grand and because a Mayweather fight would inject $100 million into the ailing Las Vegas economy.

The deal between Mayweather (42-0, 26 KOs) and Cotto does not come as surprise. With a much-anticipated fight between Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao off the table at least until the fall, Mayweather-Cotto is widely considered the next biggest fight he could take. Junior middleweight titlist Saul "Canelo" Alvarez was also considered a leading candidate to face Mayweather.

Mayweather-Cotto also means that Pacquiao, who intends to fight June 9, will not be facing Cotto in a rematch. Pacquiao-Cotto II was one of the potential fights Pacquiao and his promoter, Bob Arum, had discussed. The leading candidate to face Pacquiao in June is junior welterweight titlist Timothy Bradley Jr.

Cotto (37-2, 30 KOs) had been promoted by Top Rank for his entire career but his contract recently expired. If the fight with Mayweather goes through it will be the first fight of his career without Top Rank's involvement.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7528712/floyd-mayweather-jr-fight-miguel-cotto-license-approved

The best fight out there for Floyd aside from Pac, and he's facing Miguel at Jr Middle.

Last edited by Ali on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 3:44 pm

Quote :
Dan Rafael
For the record, Floyd will be challenging Cotto for his 154-pound title. #boxing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 3:44 pm

Quote :
Dan Rafael
Commission votes 5-0 to grant Mayweather a one-fight license. Mayweather-Cotto on May 5. It's on. #boxing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 3:52 pm

Quote :
Dan Rafael
Interesting to note that the Mayweather-Cotto press release says the fight will be live on PPV but does not indicate which network. #boxing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 5:45 pm

Quote :
Dan Rafael
RT @FloydMayweather: I'm fighting Miguel Cotto on May 5th because Miss Pac Man is ducking me.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 6:23 pm

Floyd ducks again and decides to eat up crumbs from Pac Man's past meals.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 6:27 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:

Complete nonsense, Arum and Pac didn't even try to set the fight up, they went straight ahead with a June date that they knew damn well Floyd couldn't do because he's off to jail on June 1st.

Past meals lol funny because Pac was trying to have a rematch with Cotto and would have succeed had they not asked Miguel to come down to a bogus catch weight. And Pac's have more than his fair share of Floyd's leftovers with Oscar and Hatton.
Back to top Go down
jimbojones1950
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 11:03 am

Ali wrote:
KingsOwn19 wrote:

Complete nonsense, Arum and Pac didn't even try to set the fight up, they went straight ahead with a June date that they knew damn well Floyd couldn't do because he's off to jail on June 1st.

Past meals lol funny because Pac was trying to have a rematch with Cotto and would have succeed had they not asked Miguel to come down to a bogus catch weight. And Pac's have more than his fair share of Floyd's leftovers with Oscar and Hatton.

Thats the truth right there
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 11:15 am

PBF tried to force Pacman to squeeze this fight in. He knew Pacman was active and probably wanted more time between his next fight, he knew that both sides wouldn't come to terms on the business side in time. This is just PBF using the media to both try and pressure Pacman to take the fight on PBF's terms and look good in the media.
Back to top Go down
jimbojones1950
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 11:43 am

OU wrote:
PBF tried to force Pacman to squeeze this fight in. He knew Pacman was active and probably wanted more time between his next fight, he knew that both sides wouldn't come to terms on the business side in time. This is just PBF using the media to both try and pressure Pacman to take the fight on PBF's terms and look good in the media.

Now youre just making excuses for Pacman. He fought Marquez on November 15, 2011. That is almost 6 months before the May 5 date that Mayweather is court ordered to fight on. And what was Arum's excuse? That Pacman had a cut from the Marquez fight that wouldnt be fully healed by May 5. How dumb does he think people are? The truth is, Arum is going to avoid this fight for Pacman as long as possible so he can continue to cash in on Pacman's aura of invincibility. If he were to set up Pacman vs. Mayweather, and watch Pacman get counter punched all night, much worse then an old Marquez was able to do, his future fights would not have as much draw and would not be worth as much. Arum likes making money from both sides by putting two of his fighters against each other. Mayweather is promoted by Golden Boy, so Arum wouldnt be able to make as much money on that fight as he would another Pacman vs. Top Rank fighter. Arum will not set up this fight until one of the two is over the hill and he has cashed in fully on Pacman. Pacman has trouble with technical counter punchers, as we saw in all 3 of his fights with Marquez, even whent he counter puncher is over the hill, like Marquez currently is. Mayweather is not only a much better counter puncher then Marquez, but has longer reach and is bigger. Arum knows what would happen and thats why he is not going to make this fight until all the money he can make on Pacman has been made.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 11:46 am

Yeah your right, PBF is doing everything in good faith because he just wants this so much more then Pacman, yeah that's exactly the case here.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 11:52 am

Floyd wanted nothing to do with this fight until Pac showed signs of weakness for the first time in ages in that Marquez fight. Its why he had to make up that while nonsense drama about blood testing to begin with. How quickly we all forget. Here's to him losing then going to jail for a while
Back to top Go down
jimbojones1950
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 12:02 pm

I don't buy that for one second. As Morales showed in his first fight with Pacman (the only fight with Morales where he wasn't over the hill), a good counter puncher will get to Pacman everytime. Manny's fight with Marquez wasn't a first sign of weakness. Its what people in boxing knew for years. Manny is great, but has a lot of technical flaws.

This has always been an Arum problem. Nobody wants to see it or admit it, because Mayweather is easy to hate and Pacman is the quiet guy ("yes, sir, whatever you say sir, thank you sir"), so everyone wants to believe that he is better and wants this fight. Its always been Arum.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 12:04 pm

jimbojones1950 wrote:
I don't buy that for one second. As Morales showed in his first fight with Pacman (the only fight with Morales where he wasn't over the hill), a good counter puncher will get to Pacman everytime. Manny's fight with Marquez wasn't a first sign of weakness. Its what people in boxing knew for years. Manny is great, but has a lot of technical flaws.

This has always been an Arum problem. Nobody wants to see it or admit it, because Mayweather is easy to hate and Pacman is the quiet guy ("yes, sir, whatever you say sir, thank you sir"), so everyone wants to believe that he is better and wants this fight. Its always been Arum.
If you seriously think that is the only issue then you are just suckered by PBF. If you don't think that PBF and his camp have equal blame in this fight not being made for years now, you are wrong. All there is to it. I agree Arum is a huge issue here, but far from the only issue. Don't be fooled into thinking this is all on one side.
Back to top Go down
jimbojones1950
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 12:09 pm

OU wrote:
jimbojones1950 wrote:

If you seriously think that is the only issue then you are just suckered by PBF. If you don't think that PBF and his camp have equal blame in this fight not being made for years now, you are wrong. All there is to it. I agree Arum is a huge issue here, but far from the only issue. Don't be fooled into thinking this is all on one side.

Disagree entirely. I never said it was ONLY Arum. But as we sit here today, Arum is what is keeping this fight from happening, and you know it. Also, to accuse me of being suckered by PBF shows your real bias. I couldn't care less about either fighter. I'm just viewing this objectively as someone who has watched boxing all my life and is fully familiar with the games that are played in negotiation contracts with fighters, etc. Its not me who has been suckered here, but you who has been blinded by your hate for PBF. Ignore the individuals and look at the situation, the technical differences in their games and the promoters behind the scenes.

Last edited by jimbojones1950 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 12:11 pm

jimbojones1950 wrote:

That was also a totally different fighter. If we go back to the first Morales we are still talking about a one-handed totally reckless fighter. It was the boxing improvements he made in the last couple years that allowed him to move up and hammer people
Back to top Go down
jimbojones1950
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 12:13 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
jimbojones1950 wrote:

That was also a totally different fighter. If we go back to the first Morales we are still talking about a one-handed totally reckless fighter. It was the boxing improvements he made in the last couple years that allowed him to move up and hammer people

His improvements have been overblown to a large extent. He was still getting caught rushing in against Marquez. Marquez did the same counter over and over again and Manny never adjusted.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 12:18 pm

I honestly don't care about either fighter. I just get a laugh out of both sides pointing fingers. Sorry for assuming you were putting all the blame on Bob, that's just how I read it. That is what I got from your post. You seemed to put it all on Bob. Like I said to put all blame on one side is to be biased. IF they ever fight, I don't care who wins, not even a little bit. But it's played out with Pac fan vs Money fan. When the truth, like always, lies somewhere in between.
Back to top Go down
jimbojones1950
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 12:19 pm

OU wrote:
I honestly don't care about either fighter. I just get a laugh out of both sides pointing fingers. Sorry for assuming you were putting all the blame on Bob, that's just how I read it. That is what I got from your post. You seemed to put it all on Bob. Like I said to put all blame on one side is to be biased. IF they ever fight, I don't care who wins, not even a little bit. But it's played out with Pac fan vs Money fan. When the truth, like always, lies somewhere in between.

True
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 12:22 pm

I'll agree that Bob is a big, big problem in getting this done. That much is undeniable at this point. But still it's mostly fanboys flaming on the other side and refusing to acknowledge any blame on their side. Money has his fair share of boneheads on his side of the fence.
Back to top Go down
jimbojones1950
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 12:26 pm

Thats true, I don't think Mayweather should have kept pushing the olympic style drug testing when that was obviously a point of contention for Pacman. Right now though, both fighters presumably want this fight. Im guessing it gets made in 2013...hopefully they are both still at the top of their game and not on the downslide.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 12:30 pm

The fighters themselves seem to want this fight more and more as time goes on. I'm hoping eventually they can convince their management to step aside enough to get this done. They would be stupid not to go after that pay day before hanging them up. Both sides are going to have to relax on certain things. At this point the business side is 100% to blame, I put absolutely no blame on the men in the ring at this point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 12:37 pm

OU wrote:

What ????? Are you telling me Pac was unable to prepare for a fight in May when his last was in November ?

And of course there was a rush BECAUSE FLOYD GOES TO JAIL ON JUNE 1ST !!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 12:39 pm

jimbojones1950 wrote:

Arum and Al Haymon have always been the stumbling blocks to getting this fight made, Arum detests Haymon because he's the guy who maneuvered Floyd's breakout from Top Rank promotions.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 12:41 pm

Ali wrote:
OU wrote:

What ????? Are you telling me Pac was unable to prepare for a fight in May when his last was in November ?

And of course there was a rush BECAUSE FLOYD GOES TO JAIL ON JUNE 1ST !!!!!!!!!!
Exactly, they tried to force it into a window because Floyd was in a bind. He knew things would have to line up just right for them to sign this fight, a fight that both sides have had difficulty agreeing to for years now. He expected everything to just fall into place and tried to fit it into his tight schedule. Why do you think Floyd did so much dancing in the media for this fight? He had to put on a ton of pressure just for any hope of this thing coming together. He gave it a shot, but in all reality there wasn't much hope for this falling into place in time. This isn't the first go around, they have been doing this song and dance for years now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th   Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th Empty

Back to top Go down

Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Miguel Cotto set for May 5th
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next