Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo

Go down 
+6
killerofchicken
GDPofDRC
Farmer1906
Wolfgangsta
timthebim
josh200612
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo Empty
PostSubject: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 11:32 am

http://mmajunkie.com/news/26984/ufc-boss-open-to-lightweight-move-for-145-pound-champ-jose-aldo.mma

With his 14th-straight victory in the featherweight division, UFC champ Jose Aldo (21-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) is beginning to run out of possible opponents at 145 pounds.

Sure, there's a few names making their way up the ranks right now, but is it time for Aldo to make the move up to lightweight in search of greater challenges?

UFC president Dana White said he's just fine with Aldo staying put at featherweight, but he certainly won't stand in the way if the champ decides to move up in weight.

"People have been asking me about Jose Aldo moving up to 155 pounds to take on Frankie Edgar or some of the top guys there," White said at Saturday night's post-UFC 142 press conference at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. "That's up to him. He's going to have to make that decision whether he wants to make that move or not.

"I would have no problem with him staying at his weight now and defending his title there or moving to 155 pounds – whatever he feels like he wants to do."

After earning a first-round stoppage of the previously undefeated Chad Mendes at Saturday's UFC 142 event, Aldo is now 11-0 during his combined time as a UFC and WEC fighter. Mendes was supposed to provide a stylistic challenge for Aldo, but the champion showed capable takedown defense before launching into a highlight-reel finish consisting of a knee and several devastating punches.

Following the first professional loss of his career, Mendes admitted he simply ran into a better man in the evening's main event.

"Jose is a great champion," Mendes said. "He's got very athletic moves and a style that's very hard to train for. We did our best.

"Honestly, this is the best camp that I've ever had. It's the best I've ever felt, so both mentally and physically, I was 100 percent prepared coming into this fight. But obviously, it just wasn't my night. My natural reaction was to drop down, and his natural reaction was to throw the knee. We collided, and I lost."

It was Aldo's first finish in the UFC after coming to the promotion when the WEC shuttered its doors. It was also one of the most impressive outings of his career, and it took place in front of his countrymen.

"I started hearing that Gray Maynard couldn't take him down in practice," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.con). "And you saw it tonight. Mendes couldn't get Jose Aldo down. And even when he did, he couldn't keep him there. That's scary when you're a wrestler."

White said he still believes Anderson Silva, Jon Jones and Georges St-Pierre rate above Aldo in the pound-for-pound pecking order, but with the impressive performance, he thinks the featherweight champ and lightweight kingpin Frankie Edgar are a toss-up for the No. 4 spot.

"Aldo looked fantastic tonight," White said. "He was in tremendous shape. He came in, and you could tell his head was in this fight, and he came out performed against a real guy who was undefeated and came to take that belt away.

"I hate this pound-for-pound [expletive] now. You've still got to look at the year 'Bones' had. Anderson's run is tough to beat. But it does make it interesting for Frankie Edgar. It's crazy."

Aldo doesn't currently have any clear-cut challengers left at 145 pounds. There was a time when he toyed with the idea of taking a fight at bantamweight, but the 25-year-old has since added significant muscle in recent years and no longer appears capable of making the 135-pound limit. Names like Yuri Alcantara, Hatsu Hioki, Erik Koch and Dustin Porier all present potentially viable options for Aldo, but none seem to really signify must-have matchups.

So perhaps greener pastures lie in a division 10 pounds heavier.

White is leaving that for his champion to decide.

"Jose Aldo looked fantastic," White said. "Whatever he wants to do – 145, 155 – I'm good."
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 11:34 am

Why not? He needs a challenge.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 11:35 am

145 is the weakest division in MMA. He needs to move up.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 11:51 am

There is a ton of challenges for him at 155.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 12:17 pm

If Bendo wins Edgar could move down. Otherwise Aldo vs Melendez for a title shot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 12:48 pm

Aldo gets a shot right away whenever he moves. No way they make him fight a Melendez or any other contender.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 1:25 pm

Melendez vs Aldo would be a good idea. Aldo though would be a favorite in my book against the division.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 1:32 pm

Melendez would box Aldos ears off.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 2:01 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:

I don't think so. If GSP moved up would you make him fight Bisping first? What about Anderson . Would he have to go through Rampage to fight Bones. We all know the answer to those questions. Aldo gets the superfight whenever he asks for it.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 3:41 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

I don't think so. If GSP moved up would you make him fight Bisping first? What about Anderson . Would he have to go through Rampage to fight Bones. We all know the answer to those questions. Aldo gets the superfight whenever he asks for it.

Lightweight is different. No division comes close to it in high level depth.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 3:46 pm

freakzilla wrote:
wait... it's the weakest division in MMA but let's make it even worse by sending the champ up in weight? mmkay
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 3:52 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

Lightweight is different. No division comes close to it in high level depth.

Depth or parity? I could easily see Aldo walking in and taking the belt. I don't see that likely in any other weight class.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 4:04 pm

Aldo hurts Frankie

Even if Bendo beats Frankie I can't see him moving down. Too much prestige at LW
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 4:35 pm

I'd rather just have a one off superfight between the two, If Aldo can still make the weight I don't see the rush to move up.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 5:08 pm

Ali wrote:
I'd rather just have a one off superfight between the two, If Aldo can still make the weight I don't see the rush to move up.

Because there isn't much left at 145. I'll list the possible contenders.

Nunes - already lost to Kenflo
Hioki - if he beats Bart Palaszewski
Kooch - still a few big wins away & already lost to Mendes
Poirier - already lost to Castillo

Do any of these fights excite you? Its like when Anderson was beating up Cote, Irvin, & Leites.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 5:13 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
Ali wrote:

Because there isn't much left at 145. I'll list the possible contenders.

Nunes - already lost to Kenflo
Hioki - if he beats Bart Palaszewski
Kooch - still a few big wins away & already lost to Mendes
Poirier - already lost to Castillo

Do any of these fights excite you? Its like when Anderson was beating up Cote, Irvin, & Leites.

I like having Aldo down there to keep the spotlight on the little guys. And anyway who's to say Aldo couldn't compete in both divisions ?
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 6:06 pm

Because the UFC doesn't do that
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 6:29 pm

freakzilla wrote:

https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net/t14995-will-anderson-silva-go-down-as-the-michael-jordan-of-mma

freakzilla wrote:
The MW division has always been the weakest division.

lolwut?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 7:38 pm

Ludo wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net/t14995-will-anderson-silva-go-down-as-the-michael-jordan-of-mma

freakzilla wrote:

lolwut?

In UFC history it has been. Right NOW the Featherweight division is the weakest.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 2:50 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:

They should alter that stance if a fighter is willing and able to fight in two divisions.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 3:14 pm

Ludo wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

freakzilla wrote:

lolwut?
lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 3:16 pm

Freak's just says that because Silva is the boss there, I am sure if GSP moved up he'd tells us all that the sun shines out of the Middleweight division.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 7:57 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:

Penn has the green light to fight wherever he likes. And Dana said wherever Aldo wants to fight is OK by him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 8:48 pm

Ali wrote:
Freak's just says that because Silva is the boss there, I am sure if GSP moved up he'd tells us all that the sun shines out of the Middleweight division.

Are you actually comparing the MW division to the WW division?
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 11:51 pm

captain organic wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:

Penn has the green light to fight wherever he likes. And Dana said wherever Aldo wants to fight is OK by him.

Wherever he wants to fight yes, but he has to choose one or the other. Aldo isn't jumping back and forth between 45 and 55. If he moves up its done. Let's be real, there's never going to be a shortage of challengers at LW where people would be calling for him to move back down. BJ is at the end of line, they'll take interesting fights with him where they can get them
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo   UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo Empty

Back to top Go down

UFC boss open to lightweight move for 145-pound champ Jose Aldo
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next