Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DW wants rematch on Jan 2

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

DW wants rematch on Jan 2 Empty
PostSubject: DW wants rematch on Jan 2   DW wants rematch on Jan 2 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 4:43 pm

Dave Meltzer said Dana White wants the Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua rematch on UFC 108. Meltzer also stated that Shogun has agreed to the date, and Machida will let them know if he's healthy enough to take it.

They want to return quickly with Machida/Shogun because the controversy is hot right now and if they can make a rematch announcement soon, they can assuage fan anger and channel it into PPV buys. If UFC 108 has Lesnar-Carwin, Machida-Shogun, and Evans-Silva, the show should break the million buy mark.

They won't do Lesnar-Carwin, Machida-Shogun, and Anderson-Vitor on the same card, because they'd have almost nothing for their shows at the beginning of next year, and they won't overload New Year's.

It may be a mistake for Machida to take a rematch so soon. There's just no way he can get a full training camp in given the beating he took Saturday night and the time he'll need to recover before he can train at full speed.

This is a good example of a situation where what is best for business diverges from what is best for the sport. The best thing for business is to put this rematch on as soon as possible to strike while the iron's hot. But at the same time, I don't think anyone wants to see Machida lose because he's injured and unable to train. I think the best course of action is to do Lesnar-Carwin and Sliva-Belfort on this show, and delay Shogun-Machida until the Superbowl show.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/10/27/1103371/dave-meltzer-dana-white-wants

I think they're just stacking the new years card just in case more problems happen. Machida or Anderson or both may pull out.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: DW wants rematch on Jan 2   DW wants rematch on Jan 2 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 5:27 pm

Machida is on a 60 day training suspension, I doubt he will get a legit doctor clearance for at least 30 days, that would give him only about 6 weeks to train and prepare for a rematch. Maybe late January or mid February.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: DW wants rematch on Jan 2   DW wants rematch on Jan 2 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 6:13 pm

I think that has almost no chance of happening.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: DW wants rematch on Jan 2   DW wants rematch on Jan 2 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 10:47 pm

It would definitely be great though.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: DW wants rematch on Jan 2   DW wants rematch on Jan 2 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 2:04 pm

I will grow a third arm out my ass, Mike Vick will lead the Eagles to a Superbowl and my wife will leave me for another woman before Dana puts 3 title fights on a card. It isn't happening in this lifetime or another...

You know... She has made comment about how attractive the new neighbor is...?
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: DW wants rematch on Jan 2   DW wants rematch on Jan 2 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 3:00 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
I will grow a third arm out my ass, Mike Vick will lead the Eagles to a Superbowl and my wife will leave me for another woman before Dana puts 3 title fights on a card. It isn't happening in this lifetime or another...

You know... She has made comment about how attractive the new neighbor is...?

Where are you getting 3 title fights?
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: DW wants rematch on Jan 2   DW wants rematch on Jan 2 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 4:17 pm

Just stating the obvious, Farmer. If in some fantasy world, Machida says he can go, Silva isn't fighting on this card.

Sad thing is, there is a very good chance that this card is left wanting with Anderson and Vitor headlining it.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: DW wants rematch on Jan 2   DW wants rematch on Jan 2 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 4:18 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
Just stating the obvious, Farmer. If in some fantasy world, Machida says he can go, Silva isn't fighting on this card.

Sad thing is, there is a very good chance that this card is left wanting with Anderson and Vitor headlining it.

My mistake I was forgetting about Anderson-Belfort.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: DW wants rematch on Jan 2   DW wants rematch on Jan 2 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 6:28 pm

All fights sound great no matter when they put them on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DW wants rematch on Jan 2   DW wants rematch on Jan 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

DW wants rematch on Jan 2
Page 1 of 1