Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider

Go down 
+6
timthebim
GDPofDRC
killerofchicken
captain organic
acccardinal12
OU
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider Empty
PostSubject: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 9:50 am

Last edited by OU on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 9:53 am

http://mmajunkie.com/news/26023/as-expected-chael-sonnen-up-next-for-ufc-middleweight-champ-anderson-silva.mma
As expected, Chael Sonnen will be the next fighter to challenge for UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva's title.

UFC president Dana White confirmed the plans on Wednesday's edition of "The Jim Rome Show."

However, no date has been selected for the long-awaited rematch because Silva currently is recovering from a shoulder injury.

"It's the fight everyone wants to see," White said. "People want to see
Chael vs. Anderson. Anderson is in this position where he feels this guy
is so disrespectful he doesn't want to give him a shot and everything
else, but Anderson will end up fighting Chael Sonnen."

Although Silva vs. Sonnen II was always the plan, fellow contender Mark
Munoz's recent shellacking of Chris Leben in this past weekend's UFC 138
main event may have cast some doubt on it. Munoz, who's now 6-1 over
his past seven fights, immediately campaigned for a title shot after the
second-round TKO.

After the event, though, White made it sound unlikely that Munoz would get to cut in line.

Of course, Sonnen did some campaigning of his own recently. After
submitting Brian Stann at UFC 136, Sonnen made the champ a boastful
proposition (though he later said the offer is off the table).

"Anderson Silva, you absolutely suck," Sonnen said at the Oct. 8 event.
"Super Bowl weekend, the biggest rematch in the history of the business.
I'm calling you out Silva, but we're upping the stakes.

"I beat you, (and) you leave the division. You beat me, and I will leave the UFC forever."

Sonnen isn't willing to fulfill those terms now, but he clearly got under the skin of Team Silva.

Silva (29-4 MMA, 14-0 UFC) and Sonnen (26-11-1 MMA, 5-4 UFC) first met
14 months ago at UFC 117 and delivered a fight for the ages. Sonnen
dominated the action for four rounds before getting caught in a triangle
choke midway through the fifth and final round. The pair was scheduled
to meet again early this year, but the immediate rematch was nixed when
the California State Athletic Commission suspended Sonnen for elevated
levels of testosterone.

Currently, Silva is recovering from bursitis in his shoulder. Although
the UFC returns to his native Brazil on Jan. 14 for UFC 142, even UFC
143 on Super Bowl weekend (Feb. 4) would be a quick turnaround after the
champ's recovery and a full training camp.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 10:31 am

Get ready to see ur boy lose his title Timmeh!
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 10:37 am

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
I dislike both fighters, but I have wanted Anderson to lose for years now lol
Still I have a difficult time saying I want Sonnnen to be UFC Champion.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 11:04 am

OU wrote:

You know how I can listen to the interview from yesterday? I went to Rome's site and you have to pay for it. fuck that!
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 11:07 am

OU wrote:

You know how I can listen to the interview from yesterday? I went to Rome's site and you have to pay for it. fuck that!
I dunno, if you are lucky more audio will be up at one of the mma sites. For now all we got is that 30 sec clip about Sonnen vs Spider.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 11:23 am

OU wrote:

If u want Silva to lose, at least wait for the Belfort rematch. You've waited this long already, won't hurt to wait a little longer.

Sonnen as champ would be such a blight.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 11:24 am

honestly the best fight to make at this moment, i think munoz needs a few more fights and so does vitor. lets see how Chael does against him this time
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 11:31 am

captain organic wrote:
OU wrote:

If u want Silva to lose, at least wait for the Belfort rematch. You've waited this long already, won't hurt to wait a little longer.

Sonnen as champ would be such a blight.
Yeah this is the closest I will ever get to being OK with a Spider win.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 12:38 pm

Joe Silva and the Org needs to get MW fights pushed out faster. It is still lacking after Anderson in terms of ready available contenders.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 12:44 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Joe Silva and the Org needs to get MW fights pushed out faster. It is still lacking after Anderson in terms of ready available contenders.
Well we just had Leben vs Munoz and Mayhem vs Bisping is coming up soon. It makes sense to put the winner of Bisping vs Mayhem against Munoz for the next shot. Vitor is scheduled to fight and a nice KO there, even if it is against a WW could still help Vitor gain some interest. A Maia vs Paul Harris fight would be nice. Okami vs Stann would also make sense.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 12:48 pm

Just get em booked. It seems like MW is almost about as deep as HW when you think about contender possibilities.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 12:54 pm

OU wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:
Well we just had Leben vs Munoz and Mayhem vs Bisping is coming up soon. It makes sense to put the winner of Bisping vs Mayhem against Munoz for the next shot. Vitor is scheduled to fight and a nice KO there, even if it is against a WW could still help Vitor gain some interest. A Maia vs Paul Harris fight would be nice. Okami vs Stann would also make sense.

Problem is, Spider is a GOAT candidate while the rest of these guys make up what is widely considered the worst division in the sport(well at least from lw up).

Sonnen's interesting, another go with Belfort would be as well(needs 2 more wins imo), but Stann, Bisping, Mayhem, Munoz? None of those are worthwhile contendors.

Jacare losing to Rockhold did not help.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 12:54 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Just get em booked. It seems like MW is almost about as deep as HW when you think about contender possibilities.
I can think of 3 guys in SF that would atleast help add interest and make the divison more competitive.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 1:06 pm

OU wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:
I can think of 3 guys in SF that would atleast help add interest and make the divison more competitive.

MW somewhere along the line went from SF's best division to maybe it's worst.

Kennedy, Luke, and Jacare could all make noise, but I think any of em would have to win 3 consecutive to get a shot at Silva, and I don't like any of their chances once they got there. And those 3 guys make up the full extent of the higher level SF MW division
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 1:10 pm

captain organic wrote:
OU wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:

Kennedy, Luke, and Jacare could all make noise, but I think any of em would have to win 3 consecutive to get a shot at Silva, and I don't like any of their chances once they got there. And those 3 guys make up the full extent of the higher level SF MW division
Well I think you could argue that all 3 were higher ranked at SF then Mayhem and he seemed to get himself into contention fairly easy. I know Mayhem with his personality and Bully Beatdown has more of a name at the moment but the MW division is still one of the weakest if not the weakest in the UFC. If one of them can get do something like beat Okami and Stann or Vitor. They could get an express lane to a title shot. Kennedy has the whole military thing like Stann so he could get some support pretty quickly from fans.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

OU wrote:
captain organic wrote:
OU wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:

Well I think you could argue that all 3 were higher ranked at SF then Mayhem and he seemed to get himself into contention fairly easy. I know Mayhem with his personality and Bully Beatdown has more of a name at the moment but the MW division is still one of the weakest if not the weakest in the UFC. If one of them can get do something like beat Okami and Stann or Vitor. They could get an express lane to a title shot. Kennedy has the whole military thing like Stann so he could get some support pretty quickly from fans.

Jacare, prior to the loss would prob have been one fight max from a title, but with the loss I doubt any are that close.

Mayhem would need another win after bisping imo, would still be getting it more because of personality then accomplishments, and even if he does win a couple in a row, does anyone think that is an interesting matchup for Silva?

Im not saying that any of those 3(or mayhem) are well below the UFC contendors, more along the lines that few of the entire zuffa mw div make for an interesting matchup with Silva.

Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 1:33 pm

Well we have seen other fighters in the MW division get somewhat express shots simply to provide Silva with fresh blood. Maia lost to Nate, beat Dan Miller and his next fight was for the title. I know that was in injury replacement for Vitor at the time but speaking of Vitor he never even fought at MW in the UFC and got a title shot. You also had Cote who got a shot without fighting any top contenders. Fresh blood helps you move to the front of the line at MW. I think Jacare's last loss can be forgiven if he could just score a big UFC win.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 2:02 pm

OU wrote:
Well we have seen other fighters in the MW division get somewhat express shots simply to provide Silva with fresh blood. Maia lost to Nate, beat Dan Miller and his next fight was for the title. I know that was in injury replacement for Vitor at the time but speaking of Vitor he never even fought at MW in the UFC and got a title shot. You also had Cote who got a shot without fighting any top contenders. Fresh blood helps you move to the front of the line at MW. I think Jacare's last loss can be forgiven if he could just score a big UFC win.

I won't disagree, but Maia and Cote getting shots are the major examples(along with Lietes) often pointied towards showing the weakness of mw.

Unless one of the SF guys beat Sonnen or Belfort I can not see one win earning a title shot.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 2:06 pm

captain organic wrote:
OU wrote:

I won't disagree, but Maia and Cote getting shots are the major examples(along with Lietes) often pointied towards showing the weakness of mw.

Unless one of the SF guys beat Sonnen or Belfort I can not see one win earning a title shot.
Why not throw them right into the fire? Sink or swim. Best case scenario they make an immediate impact in the division and put themselves in the title mix. Worst case the current UFC top fighters pickup solid wins. Jacare vs Palhares or Maia sounds pretty interesting to me to start off. Then you start matching up current winners to get yourself a contender.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 2:14 pm

aight, if Jacare went in and beat Harris and Munoz, I think that would earn him a shot.

But unless he tore through those guys(which given his recent history of not tearing through guys is doubtful) I would be less then amped about him vs Silva.

Same with Kennedy, let him beat Stann, and Bisping Mayhem winner, and OK give him a shot(same stipulation applies as to my amped hood).

If sonnen were to beat silva, then that changes everything, but silva, as a guy who has beaten all, and dominated all but one, has raised the bar to the extent where unless he is fighting a buzz saw Im expecting an easy W.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 9:11 pm

Not gonna happen my friend!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Did Bobbit pass out or something ? would expect him to be all over this like a car bonnet.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 1:07 am

Chael has the best shot of defeating Silva.
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 2:44 pm

Sonnen ftw! Wooooooooo!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider   Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider Empty

Back to top Go down

Dana announces Sonnen vs Spider
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next