Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent

Go down 
+4
captain organic
acccardinal12
OU
bobbitt15
8 posters
AuthorMessage
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent Empty
PostSubject: SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent   SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 2:04 pm

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/10/05/decision-on-strikeforce-showtime-relationship-imminent/?a_dgi=aolshare_twitter

Quote :
HOUSTON -- The future of the Strikeforce-Showtime relationship is expected to be decided imminently, UFC president Dana White said on Wednesday.

Zuffa co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta was in New York on Tuesday meeting with Showtime executives, and White was scheduled to speak with Fertitta after Wednesday's press conference and possibly learn the fate of the deal.

Showtime has an option to extend the deal past its current end date, which is reportedly in early 2012.

Since Zuffa bought Strikeforce in March 2011, it has taken several key pieces from the promotion to the UFC, including reigning champions Alistair Overeem (heavyweight), Dan Henderson (light-heavyweight) and Nick Diaz (welterweight). White also recently mentioned bringing lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez on board, fueling speculation that the promotion is on its last legs.

"We'll see," White said. "We're still trying to figure this whole thing out. I don't like to speak about Strikeforce that much because I'm not involved with it, I'm not the one doing it. I've purposely taken myself out of that situation. We'll see what happens, but I've got to run my business. If I have to yank him over here, I'll do it."

Fertitta has overseen Strikeforce since the purchase. Asked what he expected, White said he was unsure due to his total focus on the UFC.

"I don't know," he said, shrugging his shoulders. "I don't even want to talk about it. I'm not even involved with that thing."
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent   SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 2:16 pm

Lorenzo better work some fucking magic if they want to have any kind of conversation. All Dana will say to Showtime is "Fuck off".
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent   SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 2:28 pm

Showtime isn't stupid. I don't see them making another deal and keeping SF around. Actually Sowtime is stupid. They should have thrown money at Coker and bought SF. They had the money to do it but I don't think they see the big picture of MMA and didn't think long term. I would hope they realize that they aren't going to be the ones calling the shots if they sign a deal. I don't see how they can be garuanteed good fighters and fights that would bring viewers like they were starting to get a year ago.

I guess I should say Showtime isn't that stupid.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent   SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 2:30 pm

Dana's attitude towards this is hilarious. He doesn't give a shit
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent   SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 2:42 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
He cares, he openly dislikes Showtime.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent   SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 2:56 pm

White said UFC executive and co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta met with Showtime
executives on Tuesday but said he didn't know how the meeting went and
declined to discuss it further.

"I'm not involved with that thing," White said. "I have a conference
call with Lorenzo right after this press conference, so I'll know then."
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent   SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 3:47 pm

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
Showtime isn't stupid. I don't see them making another deal and keeping SF around. Actually Sowtime is stupid. They should have thrown money at Coker and bought SF. They had the money to do it but I don't think they see the big picture of MMA and didn't think long term. I would hope they realize that they aren't going to be the ones calling the shots if they sign a deal. I don't see how they can be garuanteed good fighters and fights that would bring viewers like they were starting to get a year ago.

I guess I should say Showtime isn't that stupid.

I think that is the decision Showtime has to make if they want to stay in the MMA business. Namely, do they want to actually own an MMA business. Cause if they continue on this same road: helping build up an promotion, as soon as it gets worth a damn, the UFC will look to swoop in.

Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent   SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 3:49 pm

OU wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:

Cause Showtime has been the driving force behind any real UFC comp in the last 5 years or so.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent   SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 3:56 pm

captain organic wrote:
OU wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:

Cause Showtime has been the driving force behind any real UFC comp in the last 5 years or so.
I think it's more because of how the talks between the UFC and Showtime went a few years back. Dana seemed pretty insulted by how Showtime treated that and has been bitter ever since.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent   SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:19 pm

Yeah, Showtime has been a thorn in Zuffa's side for a while in more than one Organization. I see this ending with no new Zuffa owned content on Showtime, Zuffa has already been using their ownership powers to more or less annihilbliterate the product available on Showtime anyways, extending a worsening products life span seems like a waste of money, effort and time.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent   SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:32 pm

Zuffa has pretty much done close to everything they can to make Strikeforce undesirable for an extra year. The nuetering was part getting some names to the UFC, and half being on time for Showtime to not want to pick up the last year of the deal. I would be in total shock if Showtime decided to keep SF around. They have proven they can put unknown brands on their station and give them a big time push. Time to start over. Admit it or not, Strikeforce through Showtime made Nick Diaz and Overeem name fighters. Showtime has made stars and they don't want to promote fighters to become names only to have them snatched from them to no benefit as soon as they are.

Lorezno would probably be all "Really? WOW...how dare you shit on our efforts?" if Showtime decides they want to keep Strikeforce for another year.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent   SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 2:57 am

Why put an unknown brand on and give it a push in an ever shrinking Zuffa dominated market. They could just as easy continue with SF, who even minus the best names, under a Zuffa umbrella, could still be easily the best Org in MMA. If you really look at it, sure the UFC snatched up the biggest names, or most of them, but under the Zuffa regime, the SF cards have been the best in their history, sadly the draws haven't matched, which could be the biggest part of the problem in SF's impending future. Unless SF is just bleeding, which is a possibiltiy, Zuffa and Showtime should put all egos aside an continue a relationship, if Fox would even be cool with that. I think it's possible, but doubt it though, I doubt Showtime continues in the MMA business post SF as well, they might actually, but I see failure in the new MMA landscape.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent   SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 8:39 am

LA wrote:
Why put an unknown brand on and give it a push in an ever shrinking Zuffa dominated market. They could just as easy continue with SF, who even minus the best names, under a Zuffa umbrella, could still be easily the best Org in MMA. If you really look at it, sure the UFC snatched up the biggest names, or most of them, but under the Zuffa regime, the SF cards have been the best in their history, sadly the draws haven't matched, which could be the biggest part of the problem in SF's impending future. Unless SF is just bleeding, which is a possibiltiy, Zuffa and Showtime should put all egos aside an continue a relationship, if Fox would even be cool with that. I think it's possible, but doubt it though, I doubt Showtime continues in the MMA business post SF as well, they might actually, but I see failure in the new MMA landscape.
You really believe that? Cause I thought the cards looks just fine pre-Zuffa. I don't think this is a true statement.
Also I think it is far more likely that Showtime goes with some other MMA organization then anything Zuffa. Dana makes no secret that he wants Showtime to fuck off. M-1 is currently doing shows on Showtime and I'm sure that will continue. I would be surprised if Showtime just gave up on MMA.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent   SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 4:04 pm

OU wrote:
LA wrote:
You really believe that? Cause I thought the cards looks just fine pre-Zuffa. I don't think this is a true statement.
Also I think it is far more likely that Showtime goes with some other MMA organization then anything Zuffa. Dana makes no secret that he wants Showtime to fuck off. M-1 is currently doing shows on Showtime and I'm sure that will continue. I would be surprised if Showtime just gave up on MMA.

Well LA is right in that the last card at least, was super deep, with Kyle, Cavalcante and Cyborg on the undercard. But I think part of that was just trying to keep guys busy knowing that there won't be another show for 3 months. And another factor is also that SF had been putting on better and better shows with time. As they continued to build up their roster. So we can rightly assume that the cards were going to continue to improve with or without the Zuffa takeover.

But LA should realize that as good as that card was, it was severely undercut by Zuffa pulling Reem. And that is a big part as to why no one showed up at the arena, or watched on TV. Of coarse Showtime realizes this, Im sure they were not happy with Reem getting pulled, and u can bet they are not happy with their main event for the Dec show being in the most recent rumors, and because of this, like Kings I would be shocked if Showtime re-ups.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent   SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 4:23 pm

captain organic wrote:
OU wrote:
LA wrote:

Well LA is right in that the last card at least, was super deep, with Kyle, Cavalcante and Cyborg on the undercard. But I think part of that was just trying to keep guys busy knowing that there won't be another show for 3 months. And another factor is also that SF had been putting on better and better shows with time. As they continued to build up their roster. So we can rightly assume that the cards were going to continue to improve with or without the Zuffa takeover.

But LA should realize that as good as that card was, it was severely undercut by Zuffa pulling Reem. And that is a big part as to why no one showed up at the arena, or watched on TV. Of coarse Showtime realizes this, Im sure they were not happy with Reem getting pulled, and u can bet they are not happy with their main event for the Dec show being in the most recent rumors, and because of this, like Kings I would be shocked if Showtime re-ups.

The last card was under the Zuffa banner but half the card was already gonna happen so everyone is kinda right and wrong in that case.
Bottom line is, RIP SF/Showtime marriage!
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent   SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 6:35 pm

SF has had one card since the zuffa purchase that could be considered an improvement over what they were doing before...and that is only because the preliminary card was worth watching and available, that did nothing for Showtime as those were on HDnet.

Other than that, the ratings have dropped, the brand name value is being dismantled, and anybody Showtime can promote is snatched from them. Strikeforce is nothing now outside of there being a few fighters that will be gone in a couple months anyway. Showtime wants to build a brand they can promote as top level MMA(even if what they start anew with is not)..they could not even lie about that(which is 80 percent of the promotion game anyway) if they continue to push the official feeder league of the UFC. Showtime does not want to promote an official feeder league that they don't have any control over other than production.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent   SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 1:41 am

The card was so good because Zuffa needs to see all their best guys in action...because....

RIP Strikeforce...

Maybe.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif

PostSubject: Re: SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent   SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 1:45 pm

Seriously why would Showtime bother when Dana's already saying their Lightweight champ will fight next in the UFC.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent   SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 1:53 pm

How are Showtime and Zuffa suppose to come to a deal? The whole time Lorenzo is trying to have conversation Dana is standing over his shoulder giving the bird mouthing "fuck you" to Showtime.
SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent Redman
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent   SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 1:58 pm

OU wrote:
How are Showtime and Zuffa suppose to come to a deal? The whole time Lorenzo is trying to have conversation Dana is standing over his shoulder giving the bird mouthing "fuck you" to Showtime.
SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent Redman

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent   SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent Empty

Back to top Go down

SF-Showtime relationship decision imminent
Page 1 of 1