Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"

Go down 
+5
bobbitt15
timthebim
josh200612
killerofchicken
OU
9 posters
AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" Empty
PostSubject: White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"   White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 3:39 pm

http://mmajunkie.com/news/23425/ufc-boss-says-ufc-129s-earlier-start-time-the-most-dangerous-thing-weve-ever-done.mma
TORONTO – UFC president Dana White knows his company is doing the right thing. He's just terrified no one realizes he's done it.

The pay-per-view broadcast for Saturday night's "UFC 129: St-Pierre vs. Shields" event – the highest-attended card in the company's 18-year history – will start at 9 p.m. ET, one hour earlier than normal.

"The whole time-move thing scares the [expletive] out of me," White said. "It's the right thing to do, and it's what the fans want, but for 10 years we've been at the same time. You become accustomed to it."

In March the UFC announced the time change, which will apply to all future pay-per-views, as well. The decision was made in part to accommodate East Coast viewers, who had previously been forced to stay awake until 1 a.m. ET on Sunday mornings in order to watch the entirety of the events.

Nearly half of the U.S. population, as well as prime Canadian markets Montreal and Toronto (which hosts UFC 129 at the city's Rogers Centre), are located in the Eastern time zone.

Nevertheless, White is concerned word hasn't made it throughout the MMA community, which could have a major impact on PPV sales for this weekend's event.

"It's the most dangerous thing we've ever done," White said. "It's scary as hell for me."

UFC 129 represents the company's first-ever stadium event, and more than 55,000 tickets were snatched up the moment they went on sale. It's a deviation from the company's longtime strategy of promoting in arenas in order to keep the "intimate feel" of the show that White always has stressed was imperative.

However, White said he's ecstatic at how the UFC team has converted the Rogers Centre into a crowd-pleasing MMA experience.

"I'm telling you right now, you're going to be blown away by what you see," White said. "I've been looking at scales and models and pictures, and I'm not too good with that stuff. I went to the arena [Tuesday] night, and I was blown away – and I knew what to expect.

"We went in and actually designed this place for ourselves. Let me put it to you this way: Just the sound system alone, there's these things called points. We have 80 points. AC/DC had 40. In the history of this arena, nobody's ever done what we're going to do on Saturday night."

With a pair of title fights and the potential retirement of fight of UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture, UFC 129 looks on paper to be one of the most exciting cards in recent memory. And if the stadium experience comes off as planned, White believes future shows may also get the same treatment.

"I think stadium shows are going to be one-off fights," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Every time there's a huge great fight – I think Georges-St-Pierre vs. Anderson Silva, if that fight happened, would be a stadium show. Depending on who wins out of Junior Dos Santos and Brock Lesnar against our heavyweight champion, that could be a big fight. Who knows? I think they're going to be one-offs. We'll see."

In addition to Saturday's 9 p.m. ET PPV timeslot, Spike TV airs a "UFC Prelims" special at 8 p.m. ET, and Facebook streams the remaining preliminary-card fights at approximately 6 p.m. ET.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" Empty
PostSubject: Re: White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"   White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 3:39 pm

Will this 1st early PPV suffer any negative effects?
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"   White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 4:28 pm

it might, if a few ppl miss the first our they wont shell out $'s for the rest of it
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"   White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 4:33 pm

NOPE! I love it! I usually have to go into work at 4am Sundays so i would call off all the time cause i would still be drunk by the time 330 rolled around to get up. side note when he was talking about the sound system their shit at the events is damn good i could feel the bass through my body at UFC 96 so this shit they have there should be slamming.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"   White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 4:36 pm

I dont think it will hurt at all. I think people that order UFC PPVs will know that the time changed. Especially with the prelims on Spike.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"   White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 4:40 pm

don't get me wrong, i love the idea of it starting earlier its just that some peeps will forget
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"   White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 4:42 pm

killerofchicken wrote:
don't get me wrong, i love the idea of it starting earlier its just that some peeps will forget

Real fans wont.
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"   White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 4:45 pm

killerofchicken wrote:

Who? LOSERS?
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"   White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 4:48 pm

josh200612 wrote:
killerofchicken wrote:

Who? LOSERS?

Probably just Celtic fans!
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

PostSubject: Re: White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"   White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 4:49 pm

timthebim wrote:
josh200612 wrote:
killerofchicken wrote:

Who? LOSERS?

Probably just Celtic fans!

Hardy fucking har har!
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"   White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 6:20 pm

lol
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"   White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 6:41 pm

It doesn't seem to have been that publicized. I expect a shitload of people to not realize the time has changed
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"   White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 6:41 pm

It doesn't seem to have been that publicized. I expect a shitload of people to not realize the time has changed
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"   White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 8:09 pm

As an east coaster I prefer the 10 pm start times. It's saturday night, I don't need to get up sundays, it allows me to eat dinner and settle things out b4 the fights start, and I prefer that the fights go later into the night. Im always looking for more fights at the conclusion of an event.

Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"   White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 8:25 pm

I would disagree, openly calling people "faggot" while trying to be resected as a sports organization is the most dangerous thing Whites ever done
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"   White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 9:14 pm

captain organic wrote:
As an east coaster I prefer the 10 pm start times. It's saturday night, I don't need to get up sundays, it allows me to eat dinner and settle things out b4 the fights start, and I prefer that the fights go later into the night. Im always looking for more fights at the conclusion of an event.

Yeah I preferred 10 as well. Especially if they start moving to showing all prelims like they are tomorrow. That shit starts early as hell on a Saturday. I'm not even off work by then half the time
Back to top Go down
cascade_run
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
cascade_run

PostSubject: Re: White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"   White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 11:52 pm

It will be fine, if you did not know that the fights are happening an hour earlier then you haven't been watching MMA, for the past few months. I agree that by starting them earlier that the night won't last as long, parties will die down early, make the wife happy though I will be able to function on Sundays
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"   White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 11:54 pm

cascade_run wrote:
It will be fine, if you did not know that the fights are happening an hour earlier then you haven't been watching MMA, for the past few months. I agree that by starting them earlier that the night won't last as long, parties will die down early, make the wife happy though I will be able to function on Sundays

Yeah I will still be useless on Sundays lol.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"   White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 12:15 am

I live in the central zone and am glad this thing is moved up. Look, anyone who doesn't know the fights have been moved up doesn't know/care about the Janitor, Jason Brilz, Mark Bocek or Ben Henderson in the least anyway. Unless you order the thing right at the start time you'll understand what time is starts anyway. Minimal damage. However, they could have mentioned the start time in the spots for the event...
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"   White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done" Empty

Back to top Go down

White: UFC 129's early start time is "the most dangerous thing we've ever done"
Page 1 of 1