Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce

Go down 
+5
captain organic
GDPofDRC
Bigs03
Fra-gee-lay
OU
9 posters
AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce Empty
PostSubject: Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce   Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 11:27 am

http://mmamania.com/2009/09/21/nfl-legend-herschel-walker-signs-with-strikeforce-for-mma-debut/
“This isn’t a publicity stunt or a gimmick. Herschel Walker has tremendous athleticism, and he has always shown that off the gridiron. He’s accomplished a lot in his life and in the world of sports. His accomplishments speak for themselves, and we hope that his athleticism can transition into a successful MMA career.”

Walker plans to compete at heavyweight and is currently headed to the famed American Kickboxing Academy (AKA) training camp in San Jose, California.
Back to top Go down
Fra-gee-lay
White Belt
White Belt
Fra-gee-lay

Favorite Fighter(s) : Kazushi Sakuraba, Vitor Belfort

PostSubject: Re: Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce   Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 11:36 am

Wow. Herschel also has severe problems battling multiple personalities. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce   Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 12:15 pm

He was with Tapout at the mall this weekend in Dallas.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce   Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 12:26 pm

I can't help but feel that publicity and quasi gimmicks are a factor here. At least guys like Lashley and Westbrook started at the bottom organizations against entry level guys. Who will he fight, Bobby Southworth?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce   Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 1:40 pm

that guy is way too old to get into the game now.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce   Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 1:56 pm

captain organic wrote:
that guy is way too old to get into the game now.

First fight at 47. How is that to old? confused
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce   Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 1:58 pm

Herschel Walker vs Bill Bates II

Old SEC joke, most prolly won't get it. I got Bill Bates in the rematch. Go Vols Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce   Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 6:55 pm

This is a good signing. Strikeforce challengers series is for unproven fighters, journeymen, and up and comers. If this does anything it will bring some much needed casual fan interest to the Strikeforce Challengers shows next year. It's not like he'll be in any big fights. I think it is publicity for the Challengers shows, and i think that is good.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce   Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 7:13 pm

No way they don't put him on CBS
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce   Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 7:20 pm

He won't be on CBS. Unless CBS starts doing a lot more Strikeforce shows.

He'll be on the main cards for the Challengers shows.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce   Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 7:26 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:

They're talking about the signing on PTI and Sportsceneter. No way SF doesn't gain viewers by putting him on CBS or a Shotime main event
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce   Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 7:32 pm

strikeforce could just have Walker at a CBS show giving an interview with the broadcast team, telling fans about his upcoming chanllenger series fight.

I certainly hope it doesn't go beyond that.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce   Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 7:34 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
KingsOwn19 wrote:

They're talking about the signing on PTI and Sportsceneter. No way SF doesn't gain viewers by putting him on CBS or a Shotime main event

Main event? He won't be main eventing anything.

I agree, he'll be on showtime, and he'll be promoted....but for the Challengers shows. SF plans on doing a lot more challengers shows next year and right now, nobody watches them because there is no name value on them. They are trying to change that by bringing in names from kickboxing(Sefo), wrestlng(Cormier), and now Walker. They are not going to bill any CBS cards around Walker, and not going to put him on the same showtime/or CBS card as a Nick Diaz or anybody like that. Unless he really kicks ass and plans to stick around. Which i doubt. Even if he has success, i don't see him sticking around very long for obvious reasons. Of course PTI and SC are going to talk a little about it, but it's by no means a big story to them or MMA. I've watched ESPNNEWS today and all they've done is report it at the bottom of the screen and PTI talks about anything that involves past sports stars.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce   Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 8:39 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:
KingsOwn19 wrote:

Main event? He won't be main eventing anything.

I agree, he'll be on showtime, and he'll be promoted....but for the Challengers shows. SF plans on doing a lot more challengers shows next year and right now, nobody watches them because there is no name value on them. They are trying to change that by bringing in names from kickboxing(Sefo), wrestlng(Cormier), and now Walker. They are not going to bill any CBS cards around Walker, and not going to put him on the same showtime/or CBS card as a Nick Diaz or anybody like that. Unless he really kicks ass and plans to stick around. Which i doubt. Even if he has success, i don't see him sticking around very long for obvious reasons. Of course PTI and SC are going to talk a little about it, but it's by no means a big story to them or MMA. I've watched ESPNNEWS today and all they've done is report it at the bottom of the screen and PTI talks about anything that involves past sports stars.

Just in regards to the challenger series fight. The last couple events have been very entertaining. The last main event had very worthwhile name's headlining the event, and Kennedy is a growing name as well. This upcoming card has at least 3 bouts that true MMA fans should have interest in. So I don't see it as a matter of quality, but I do agree that in terms of pure name recognition, it could use a boost and Hershel provides that, I aslo think that it is hidden on showtime a bit, and Walker's presence can bring a little spotlight to the events as a whole and not just his fights. So in that sense I do think the signing is a good one.

hopefully he is not getting paid too much and he is doing this more for the competition and not the $$$. Im sure he doesn't need much $$$$ so I wonder if SF was able to sign him on the cheap because of that.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce   Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 8:54 pm

Challengers Series cards are always quality fight cards, but nobody watches them except for hardcore fans like us. Bringing in more viewers with guys like Walker will hopefully get guys like Kennedy, Evangalista, Cummings, etc. more exposure.

If Walker can't help the challengers cards just a little bit, he won't really make a difference on the SF's bigger cards.

I'm sure he gets paid better than your average 0-0 fighter, but as far as i know this is something he wanted to do and he's prbably not making anything ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce   Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 12:18 am

This signing is a joke. 47 year old footballers? My lawd.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce   Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce Empty

Back to top Go down

Herschel Walker signs with Strikeforce
Page 1 of 1