Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Melendez signs multi year extension

Go down 
+2
GDPofDRC
Primetyme199
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

Melendez signs multi year extension Empty
PostSubject: Melendez signs multi year extension   Melendez signs multi year extension EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 2:09 pm

Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez has signed a new multi-year contract to remain with the San Jose-based promotion ahead of an expected April title defense.

“STRIKEFORCE is my home, they’ve always been like family to me and I’m looking forward to continuing my career with them,” said the talented, exciting, 5-foot-9, 27-year-old protégé of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu master Cesar Gracie and Muay Thai legend Jongsanan Fairtex. “There are a lot of great fights out there for me – lots of challenges. I can’t wait to get back into the cage, do my thing and show the world that I’m still at the top of my game.’’

Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Melendez signs multi year extension   Melendez signs multi year extension EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 2:32 pm

Another one locked in. Jake Shields is the only good fighter UFC has ever lured from SF.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Melendez signs multi year extension   Melendez signs multi year extension EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 2:41 pm

The funny thing is how he was talking about being able to beat the UFC lightweight's and he had the chance to go there and prove it but he stayed where he was.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Melendez signs multi year extension   Melendez signs multi year extension EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 2:51 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Another one locked in. Jake Shields is the only good fighter UFC has ever lured from SF.

That's totally not true. They stole away the best post fight interviewer in the World.
Melendez signs multi year extension 0
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Melendez signs multi year extension   Melendez signs multi year extension EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 2:52 pm

let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you
let me tell you that tito ortiz said let me tell you about 84 times during the Affliction:DoR broadcast. And a bunch of other dumb shit.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Melendez signs multi year extension   Melendez signs multi year extension EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 3:48 pm

Primetyme199 wrote:
The funny thing is how he was talking about being able to beat the UFC lightweight's and he had the chance to go there and prove it but he stayed where he was.

Yeah if he talked about having a chance to beat ufc lws then yeah I think he should've backed that talk up. But he made the money choice here, he's staying with SF because they'll pay him more than the ufc would.
Back to top Go down
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Melendez signs multi year extension   Melendez signs multi year extension EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Enter Gilbert Melendez, who tells RingsideReport.com this week that he’s the man to beat at 155-pounds right now. All this noise about Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard? Melendez ain’t trying to hear that, see. But just in case you’re wondering if Melendez might be interested in proving his point, of signing with the UFC so he can actually fight the other top contenders in his weight class: Forget it. It’s those guys who should be coming to him.

“To be honest, these guys need to come fight me,” Melendez says. “Who are they to say I should go there? I’ve been in the sport longer than any of these guys, than Frankie Edgar (or) Gray Maynard. I won in Japan against fifty thousand people booing me. I’ve traveled; these guys have never fought internationally. I’ve put myself in the shittiest positions ever. For me to say I should go there and fight them? I am done with that. Those guys need to come over here and fight me. They need to fight me, period. I am the guy to beat. They’re not the guys to beat. It just so happens they are under the UFC banner, so they get a little bit more love because of that.”

And so what’s the reason, you might ask, why Melendez’s name is mentioned a lot less frequently than guys like Edgar, Maynard, BJ Penn or even Eddie Alvarez as the world’s top lightweight? The reason nobody feels the need to call out Melendez? It’s obvious: They’re scared, homie.

“Sometimes I take it like a compliment,” he says. “Maybe the guys know they don’t match up too well … Honestly I don’t want to say it but I think some of these guys are scared. They don’t want it … they want the easier road.

“I think I already fought the best,” Melendez goes on. “And some of the best in the UFC, it’s not like those guys are anything special or more special than the guys I have already beat. It just happens they’re in the UFC, which is a popular organization.”
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Melendez signs multi year extension   Melendez signs multi year extension EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 4:31 pm

team Ceaser Gracie FTW
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Melendez signs multi year extension   Melendez signs multi year extension EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 4:36 pm

Primetyme199 wrote:
Enter Gilbert Melendez, who tells RingsideReport.com this week that he’s the man to beat at 155-pounds right now. All this noise about Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard? Melendez ain’t trying to hear that, see. But just in case you’re wondering if Melendez might be interested in proving his point, of signing with the UFC so he can actually fight the other top contenders in his weight class: Forget it. It’s those guys who should be coming to him.

“To be honest, these guys need to come fight me,” Melendez says. “Who are they to say I should go there? I’ve been in the sport longer than any of these guys, than Frankie Edgar (or) Gray Maynard. I won in Japan against fifty thousand people booing me. I’ve traveled; these guys have never fought internationally. I’ve put myself in the shittiest positions ever. For me to say I should go there and fight them? I am done with that. Those guys need to come over here and fight me. They need to fight me, period. I am the guy to beat. They’re not the guys to beat. It just so happens they are under the UFC banner, so they get a little bit more love because of that.”

And so what’s the reason, you might ask, why Melendez’s name is mentioned a lot less frequently than guys like Edgar, Maynard, BJ Penn or even Eddie Alvarez as the world’s top lightweight? The reason nobody feels the need to call out Melendez? It’s obvious: They’re scared, homie.

“Sometimes I take it like a compliment,” he says. “Maybe the guys know they don’t match up too well … Honestly I don’t want to say it but I think some of these guys are scared. They don’t want it … they want the easier road.

“I think I already fought the best,” Melendez goes on. “And some of the best in the UFC, it’s not like those guys are anything special or more special than the guys I have already beat. It just happens they’re in the UFC, which is a popular organization.”

in other words, individual promoting is a detriment to competition in mma.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Melendez signs multi year extension   Melendez signs multi year extension EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 4:49 pm

Lol- someone has a way inflated opinion of how good they are

Never really cared about Gil, if UFC can figure out a way to lock up Eddie here in the near future it would be awesome

Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Melendez signs multi year extension   Melendez signs multi year extension EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 4:53 pm

I just want to see Gil vs Crusher, not sure after that.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Melendez signs multi year extension   Melendez signs multi year extension EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 4:56 pm

Fancy Pants
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Melendez signs multi year extension   Melendez signs multi year extension EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 5:00 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
Fancy Pants

good call.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Melendez signs multi year extension   Melendez signs multi year extension EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 6:25 pm

MMAEYES wrote:
Primetyme199 wrote:

Yeah if he talked about having a chance to beat ufc lws then yeah I think he should've backed that talk up. But he made the money choice here, he's staying with SF because they'll pay him more than the ufc would.

bobbitt15 wrote:
Lol- someone has a way inflated opinion of how good they are

Never really cared about Gil, if UFC can figure out a way to lock up Eddie here in the near future it would be awesome

These 3 posts, but good for SF
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Melendez signs multi year extension   Melendez signs multi year extension Empty

Back to top Go down

Melendez signs multi year extension
Page 1 of 1