Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today... Empty
PostSubject: How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today...   How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today... EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 11:01 pm

in this Light Heavyweight division, he wasn't even the lineal man in the division (seriously,) he was considered the best of a horrible division (light heavyweight) at the time that led to us watching Roy vs police officers, Julio Gonzalez and the Clinton Woods. THe problem with Roy is for every Virgill Hill there was 4 Glenn Kelly's.

I personally think a 2000 - 2002 Roy has his hands full with the likes of Jean Pascal, Bernard Hopkins, Tavoris Cloud and Chad Dawson. Here's my take on what would happen.

Roy vs Pascal - Pascal is a slick-moving fighter that likes to set up pot shots or 2 to 3 punch combinations at most. Basically he likes to do exactly what Roy was known for. He just isn't quite as slick. I think Roy wins on points or possibly stops Pascal.
Winner : Roy Jones

Roy vs Bernard Hopkins - I think Bernard is crafty and mean enough to give that prime light heavy Roy Jones all kinds of problems. I thought Bernard would have beaten Roy back then so I am going with Bernard via late KO. Ya this Bernard Hopkins.
Winner : BHOP

Roy vs Tavoris Cloud : The undefeated hard hitting human bowling ball. Sounds like a nightmare for Roy and I bet Roy ducks him even in my fantasy land. Cloud definitely had the punch to knockout Roy if he could get close enough to land it.
Winner : Toss Up

Roy vs Chad Dawson - Dawson could beat Roy, he is long, has a 1-2 and could be pesky and annoying like Tarver was. But I think Dawson would have to be far more busy than he has been recently. i THINK Roy would be able to start pot shotting a slow Dawson.
Winner : Roy more than likely.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today...   How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today... EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 3:52 pm

He would kick ass. I don't believe in difference of era in boxing, the game aint changed. If you were the shit 60 years ago and you were inserted into todays era, you would probably still be the shit.

Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today...   How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today... EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 5:40 pm

i agree Kings, but theres a huge difference

Roy Jones reigned over without a doubt the worst light heavyweight division possibly in the history of boxing.

Its amazing that within 10 years the division has gone from having 2 good/great fighters, to a handful of them.

Roy reigned over such a shitty division it wasnt even funny. This division would be a nightmare for ol' reluctant Roy.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today...   How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today... EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 6:05 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
i agree Kings, but theres a huge difference

Roy Jones reigned over without a doubt the worst light heavyweight division possibly in the history of boxing.

Its amazing that within 10 years the division has gone from having 2 good/great fighters, to a handful of them.

Roy reigned over such a shitty division it wasnt even funny. This division would be a nightmare for ol' reluctant Roy.

Roy would still be at the top of the division but far from as dominant as he was in his day.

Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today...   How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today... EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 7:12 pm

I gotta disagree because he was never the legit man in the division when he was ruling light heavyweight, Darius Michaelweisz had the legit lineal claim to the title and Roy wouldnt even risk facing him.

I think Roy gets beat by Hopkins and Cloud, possibly Dawson.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today...   How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today... EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 7:17 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
I gotta disagree because he was never the legit man in the division when he was ruling light heavyweight, Darius Michaelweisz had the legit lineal claim to the title and Roy wouldnt even risk facing him.

I think Roy gets beat by Hopkins and Cloud, possibly Dawson.

Bird Roy beat B-Hop.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today...   How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today... EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 7:27 pm

ya in 1994 at Jr Middle before Hopkins or Roy for that matter ever hit their stride

Roy spent the end of his prime dodging Hopkins and then Hopkins finally got a little revenge on him last year

Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today...   How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today... EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 8:31 pm

I agree Roy dodged B-Hop alittle bit but B-Hop dodged him also.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today...   How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today... EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 8:39 pm

ya that is true, im jsut a huge Roy hater haha
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today...   How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today... EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 8:40 pm

I hate him also to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today...   How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today... EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 8:48 pm

ya he was just a prick through his whole career and seemed to clown over matched fighters and have no interest in fighting the best. I dont get all the Mayweather hate, atleast he is fighting top guys Roy literally fought Policemen and cab drivers
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today...   How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today... EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 8:49 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
ya he was just a prick through his whole career and seemed to clown over matched fighters and have no interest in fighting the best. I dont get all the Mayweather hate, atleast he is fighting top guys Roy literally fought Policemen and cab drivers

Hell yeah he did.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today...   How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today... Empty

Back to top Go down

How Would Roy Jones Jr Fair Today...
Page 1 of 1