Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MMA's Bermuda Triangle : Leonard Garcia

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

MMA's Bermuda Triangle : Leonard Garcia Empty
PostSubject: MMA's Bermuda Triangle : Leonard Garcia   MMA's Bermuda Triangle : Leonard Garcia EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 12:19 am

Leonard Garcia seems to pose a perplexing problem for fighter's in MMA's 145 pound division. Simply put, Leonard Garcia is the Bermuda Triangle of the MMA world, fighters go there to lose. Even when they seem to win the fight and possibly all 3 rounds. This past weekend was another prime example of the Leonard Garcia mystery, against Nam Phan, Garcia possibly lost all 3 rounds and somehow walked away with another split decision win. You can't knock or blame Garcia, he goes in there, fights, throws some of the wildest shots you will ever see and seems to always go forward. Still, the judges can be blamed.
Since Leonard Garcia was cut by the UFC in 2007 he has compiled a record of 5-3-1. Some suggest he could possibly have been 2-7 if the judges had scored the fight's correctly. Leonard knocked out Hiroyuki Takaya and Jens Pulver before facing Mike Brown for the WEC title. Garcia was simply overwhelmed and outmatched, which is nothing to be ashamed of. At WEC 42 Garcia won a controversial split decision over Jameel Massouh. Garcia faced Manny Gamburyan and Manny Gamburyan did something that no other fighter has done recently. He went to the Bermuda Triangle and walked away with a Unanimous Decision. Leonard and George Roop fought to a draw after the Gaburyan fight, this was another fight that many thought Garcia lost.
Then this past March Garcia and Chan Sung Jung waged a war, it was a great fight that felt like the MMA version of Hagler vs Hearns. It was a memorable fight, but many thought that the clear victor was robbed of his victory. I have watched this fight 6 times and still haven't scored the fight for Garcia one time. Somehow, Leonard Garcia walked away wtih a win in the Fight of the Year. This past September Garcia fought Mark Hominick to a Split Decision loss before facing Nam Phan in the UFC's inagural Featherweight bout.
It honestly wasn't that good of a fight. It was ok, Phan and Garcia traded, Garcia winging wild shots and Phan throwing straight blows. I scored the bout 29-28 for Phan the first time I watched it and 30-27 the second time I watched it. But, yet again, Leonard Garcia walked away with a controversial decision victory. It was not the first and certainly doesn't seem to be the last.
However, something can be learned from this; fighters in Zuffa's 145 pound weight class : Do not go to the scorecards against Leonard Garcia. I know your corner is telling you that you have won every round, it doesn't matter, judges like something in Leonard Garcia and seem to side with him when they shouldn't. If you are fighting Leonard Garcia go out there and work a submission or go out there with intentions of knocking him out because you are not guaranteed a hard earned victory when the scorecards are read.
Back to top Go down

MMA's Bermuda Triangle : Leonard Garcia
Page 1 of 1