Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys

Go down 
+5
acccardinal12
LTFG
GDPofDRC
timthebim
bobbitt15
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys Empty
PostSubject: Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys   Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 5:28 pm

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/10/28/1780310/early-reports-have-ufc-121-breaking-1-million-pay-per-view-buys

Obviously not a certain fact yet, but a decent bit lower than I expected. I was thinking about 1.4
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys   Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 5:46 pm

Yeah I heard some people saying 1.8.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys   Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 5:51 pm

Crazy let down. I thought it would be #1 or top 3, maybe 5, ever.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0

PostSubject: Re: Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys   Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 5:53 pm

I wonder how much buys they could get if they fully stacked a card.

say

Cain vs JDS
Silva vs GSP
Evans vs Rua
Diaz vs Sanchez
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys   Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 6:12 pm

I said it shortly after UFC 100... MMA on PPV has peaked. 1.5 will never be hit again and we might as well get used to dwindling or stagnant numbers from here to the end of time.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys   Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 6:19 pm

LTFG wrote:
I said it shortly after UFC 100... MMA on PPV has peaked. 1.5 will never be hit again and we might as well get used to dwindling or stagnant numbers from here to the end of time.

I think in a few years every UFC PPV will do 1 million views or more.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys   Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 6:24 pm

I disagree LTFG. We are in a progressive holding pattern, but as boxing, baseball, and other traditional sports continue to decline, while MMA gets more exposure, I think we will see a slow ascent of regular PPV numbers until they figure out yearly mega-cards. As of now, New Years, Superbowl weekend and the 4th of July weekend seem to be the "big cards". But it will eventually get to the point of general acceptance by the average TV viewer and start garnering more PPV numbers. In the next 5 years, I can see the UFC hitting a 3 million PPV buy rate for a mega-card. Plus that doesn't include forms of revenue such as DVD/Blu-ray sales, ancillary merchandise (toys, mags, etc.), and sponsorships.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys   Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 6:28 pm

Andrew is a Zuffa pr agent.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys   Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 6:51 pm

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
I disagree LTFG. We are in a progressive holding pattern, but as boxing, baseball, and other traditional sports continue to decline, while MMA gets more exposure, I think we will see a slow ascent of regular PPV numbers until they figure out yearly mega-cards. As of now, New Years, Superbowl weekend and the 4th of July weekend seem to be the "big cards". But it will eventually get to the point of general acceptance by the average TV viewer and start garnering more PPV numbers. In the next 5 years, I can see the UFC hitting a 3 million PPV buy rate for a mega-card. Plus that doesn't include forms of revenue such as DVD/Blu-ray sales, ancillary merchandise (toys, mags, etc.), and sponsorships.

Meh, I think it's hit the ceiling as it will likely never garner mainstream acceptance and the PPV numbers will do precisely what they've done for the better part of this year. We will see 1 mil or so for every bigt time card involving the most hyped name in the sport during that time, and the rest will do 450-750 with the occasional 800-900. The TV show that was supposed to help aid its growth has jumped the shark and Dana doesn't appear to have a real solid plan in place to do anything else to bring new and fresh eyes to the sport. Boxing with it's rich history has only hit 2 mil once, and it does have mainstream acceptance. In order for MMA to ever hit those kind of numbers they will have to go through a major image overhaul along with adding and keeping fans with a willingness to shell out $50 a month. Individual sales are dropping due to more and more people heading to bars or grouping up with a bunch of guys to do PPV's. Talking to a pretty large group of solid fans (New and old) over the last year, many are telling me the sport is losing its luster and they aren't following as close and are willing to only pay if the card has big time names and match-ups. The pulse of the people has spoken... For now.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

PostSubject: Re: Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys   Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 8:01 pm

I hear you, but I also think the sport has really only started to make a dent in the market. Showtime and HBO both figure prominently for boxing, as does ESPN. When ESPN gets rid of all the old farts sitting around, discussing baseball stats from the 1938 New York Yankees and pushing that antiquated sport out of the way, I think you will see a major shift in demographics. You also fail to note that as the fan base gets older, they will stick to the sport like the baseball guys, but we will continue to gain fans as today's 12 year old kids become tomorrow's most sought after demographic. It all adds up to bigger numbers in the future.

BTW, I watch PPVs with friends and family. DW has said for years that PPV is based on a bunch guys sitting around, throwing in some money for the fights and what have not. So I don't see anywhere this can go but up.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys   Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 8:03 pm

Lol you talk like you seriously think one day MMA will be anywhere near as big as baseball
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys   Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 9:52 pm

Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys   Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 3:19 pm

Way lower than I expected, like two Rich Franklins lower.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

PostSubject: Re: Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys   Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 5:03 pm

Wolf, that is the funniest way I have ever heard it put! Too funny.

Bobbitt, I don't think that, I know it. Regular season baseball games on ESPN couldn't beat UFC on Versus 2, so why wouldn't I think they could beat baseball? They already are, the problem is that baseball as a legit sport for TV is ingrained in everyone, because it has always been there, but they can't even beat us or the WWE for viewership, unless Boston, NYY, or the St. Louis Cardinals are playing one another. What about attendence? The bottom half of the league in attendance had less than 31,000 people per game in 60K-80K seat stadiums. An average viewership of .776 on ESPN throughout the season, that means less than 1% of actively watching TVs households are watching that shit it is also around 1 million people give or take ten thousand. 1.2 million PPV buys means, this is an industry standard, means 6 million people are viewing with a majority being the coveted 18-34 male demographic. That does not include bars, restaraunts, etc which add another 750K-1 million viewers. So you tell me, is baseball winning?
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys   Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys EmptySat Oct 30, 2010 2:12 pm

uh oh wolf looking like i get to make 15 threads about how you were wrong
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys   Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys EmptySat Oct 30, 2010 11:23 pm

I never said that was a lock, but go ahead, make 15 threads. See how that makes you look.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys   Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 4:33 am

Wolf said it would do 1.8+ that evens out picking Cain.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys   Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 7:32 am

LA wrote:
Wolf said it would do 1.8+ that evens out picking Cain.

Doesnt even it out at all LOL. Picking Cain was a Wolf claim to fame.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys   Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 12:29 pm

I said it wouldn't surprise me, not that it would. Not the same as the hordes of endless idiots who thought Lesnar's wrestling and ability was good because they were subconsciously influenced by the shape of his torso and jawline.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys   Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 12:29 pm

Anyway I don't see why yall are butthurt how this went down with as much as you talked Vanilla Sapp up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys   Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys Empty

Back to top Go down

Early reports have 121 slightly over 1 mil buys
Page 1 of 1