Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands Empty
PostSubject: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 10:58 am

WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto is set to return on November 27 against Mexico's Freddy Hernandez at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. If successful, Berto has mentioned a number of desired opponents for 2011. One of the opponents at the top of Berto's list is WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto.

Cotto's promoter, Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum, says a fight with Berto is very hard to make because of the economics involved. Berto receives a significant sum of money for every fight picked up by HBO. Arum believes Berto is being overpaid by the network for "ordinary fights." And because he's already being paid a very high amount per bout, Arum says it's very difficult to make a deal to fight Cotto because Berto is going to request an even larger sum of money.

"The problem with Berto is that he's a lovely kid and he's a good fighter, but he's a tulip, which means that his value has been set by what HBO is paying him for his fights. And, like the frenzy over tulips centuries ago in Holland, it's the same thing," Arum said.

"Berto shouldn't command anything like what HBO is paying him. Therefore, it makes it very, very difficult to make a big fight for Berto against somebody like a Miguel Cotto because the kid wants to be paid more than he would get paid for ordinary fights. Therefore, he would be vastly overpaid. So it's very difficult."

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=32208

"If Cotto's people really wanted to make the fight, and Arum really wanted to make the fight, then the fight would get made because we wouldn't price ourselves out of it. We have no problem with Cotto making significantly more money and we never asked for anything that resembled Cotto's share of the pie, but if Bob believes that Berto is entitled to 25%, then he's right - then the fight is difficult to make," DiBella said.

"Whenever me and Bob want to make a fight, the fight gets made, so I guess he doesn't want to make the fight. Bob may say it's very difficult, but Bob knows that it's not very diffcult to negotiate with me. I guess he wants to keep it in-house. And Miguel Cotto vs. [Julio Cesar] Chavez Jr. would be a public execution."

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=32212

Last edited by Ali on Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 12:05 pm

Same thing we read about before, just doesnt make sense to even consider it for Cotto

Chavez Jr, Angulo, K9, Margarito rematch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 12:07 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Same thing we read about before, just doesnt make sense to even consider it for Cotto

Chavez Jr, Angulo, K9, Margarito rematch

A Margarito rematch makes sense if he beats Manny. Angulo is just too big and strong for Miguel, it would be a repeat of the first Tony fight.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 12:10 pm

If Kermit Cintron could outbox him, I'd give Miguel a good shot at out boxing Angulo who's pretty easy to find
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 12:11 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
If Kermit Cintron could outbox him, I'd give Miguel a good shot at out boxing Angulo who's pretty easy to find

Cintron has the size and power to hold Angulo at bay though, Cotto isn't big enough or dangerous enough at 154lb to make Angulo respect him.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 12:18 pm

Has a great jab, better technique, and good enough power IMO to hurt Angulo

Dont forget that former WW Richard Gutierrez buzzed him in there scrap

Angulo hasnt faced any one decent since Cintron - Alcine, Yorgey, Rosado, and even The Love Child Joel Julio was doing well in their fight before getting KO'd in 11
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 12:31 pm

Good job by Bob trying to get Berto in the ring.

Now if Cotto called out Berto would it be a different story? I know Cotto doesn't call people out but he might so he can bank big paydays at the end of his career.

Catchweight of 150 and put both belts on the line (won't happen). Networks will pay big money for that though. Sanctioning bodies would get big paydays too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 12:33 pm

I don't get why HBO aren't all over this fight, it's the logical one to make for both guys.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 12:43 pm

Ali wrote:
I don't get why HBO aren't all over this fight, it's the logical one to make for both guys.

I think the problem here is Berto, if DiBella had reasonable demands for his fighter, Im sure Arum and Lou would of got it done by now
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 12:45 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:

I think the problem here is Berto, if DiBella had reasonable demands for his fighter, Im sure Arum and Lou would of got it done by now

I am sure if HBO pushed for this fight Lou would get Berto to lower his demands.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 12:49 pm

Ali wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:

I am sure if HBO pushed for this fight Lou would get Berto to lower his demands.

Lou is just the figure head ie licensed boxing promoter. Talk to Haymon if you want the demands lowered.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 12:51 pm

hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
Ali wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:

Lou is just the figure head ie licensed boxing promoter. Talk to Haymon if you want the demands lowered.

I still say the same thing, Haymon is smart enough to know a win over Cotto will secure future paydays.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 1:11 pm

Ali wrote:
hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
Ali wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:

I still say the same thing, Haymon is smart enough to know a win over Cotto will secure future paydays.

But what does a loss to a post Margarito, Pacquio Clottey do to Berto? Risk reward stuff here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 1:22 pm

hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
Ali wrote:
hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
Ali wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:

But what does a loss to a post Margarito, Pacquio Clottey do to Berto? Risk reward stuff here.

The reward outweighs the risk in my opinion, if Berto loses he can always say it was to soon to fight above Welterweight.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 1:26 pm

The reward outweighs the risk in my opinion, if Berto loses he can always say it was to soon to fight above Welterweight.[/quote]

You're a boxing fan through and through, remember that. You'll buy a fight (or at least steal a stream of one) between a blind man and an armless shemale. We're not the demographic that has to get "sold" on a fighter or a fight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 1:27 pm

hardcoreBEE24 wrote:

The reward outweighs the risk in my opinion, if Berto loses he can always say it was to soon to fight above Welterweight.

You're a boxing fan through and through, remember that. You'll buy a fight (or at least steal a stream of one) between a blind man and an armless shemale. We're not the demographic that has to get "sold" on a fighter or a fight. [/quote]

What a helluva scenario.

Blind man and shemale walk into a bar ........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 1:50 pm

Updated, Lou has responded.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 2:25 pm

Way to go Lou!!! That's how you make a fight. Sling a little mud back in their direction.
Back to top Go down
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 2:55 pm

Damn, that's a shame, i'd love to see Cotto-Berto, it's would make a great fight.
Back to top Go down
Groundhog_Day
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
Groundhog_Day

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny Pacquiao

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 2:55 am

hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
Good job by Bob trying to get Berto in the ring.

Now if Cotto called out Berto would it be a different story? I know Cotto doesn't call people out but he might so he can bank big paydays at the end of his career.

Catchweight of 150 and put both belts on the line (won't happen). Networks will pay big money for that though. Sanctioning bodies would get big paydays too.

Cotto does what Uncle Bob wants him to do. We're just lucky that Bob has matched Cotto up with pretty much everyone that Flod should have been fighting in the past few years.

Ali, securing paydays? If you're under Haymon you don't need to worry about that shit. Why does HBO keep inviting the Hutt and Berto back on? Haymon likely has his pimp hand aimed at HBO's pocketbook.

Haymon is smart enough to know that even a "damaged gudz" Cotto has more than just a good chance of putting a whuppin on jab'n'grab Berto's overrated, overpaid arse. Berto can't lose that precious zero.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 5:06 am

Right now Berto has no chance of facing Pacquiao or Mayweather, if he beats Cotto he'd be in line to face either man.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands   Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands Empty

Back to top Go down

Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto unlikely because of Berto's financial demands
Page 1 of 1