Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

South America and Central America ?

Go down 
+7
captainanddew
marbleheadmaui
dmar5143
powerpuncher
WinstonSmith
Diego408
NAFight53
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NAFight53

South America and Central America ? Empty
PostSubject: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 7:58 pm

In your opinion, who was the greatest fighter to ever come out of South America ? Central America ?
Back to top Go down
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Marquez Brothers, Robert Guerrero, Abner Mares, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, Devon Alexander, Jose Benavidez Jr and Nick Diaz

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 8:12 pm

Robert Duran and Carlos Monzon,
Back to top Go down
NAFight53

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 8:34 pm

Robert Duran over Alexis Arguello ?
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 8:35 pm

NAFight53 wrote:
Robert Duran over Alexis Arguello ?

As much as I admired Arguello,he's a level below Roberto.
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 8:41 pm

duran is for sure above arguello.

duran is easily the best latino fighter IMO
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 8:46 pm

powerpuncher wrote:

Both of them had trouble with guys who had movement.
Back to top Go down
NAFight53

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 8:58 pm

powerpuncher wrote:

That's a bold statement....did you takle into consideration that Duran lost to Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Benitez
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 9:00 pm

NAFight53 wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:

That's a bold statement....did you takle into consideration that Duran lost to Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Benitez

Those were better caliber fighters than the ones Arguello fought.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 9:24 pm

Diego408 wrote:
Robert Duran and Carlos Monzon,
...ill agree...arguello is a great one also but..its limited to two..
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 9:35 pm

Arguello is my favorite fighter. But Roberto Duran was clearly superior. He dominated men his own size, he defeated ATG's up 12 pounds from that. He defeated excellent fighters up 20 pounds and he held his own against one of the top 3-4 middles ever to fight. It's an astonishing resume.

I'd rate Eder Jofre the greatest of the South American fighters just ahead of Carlos Monzon.

Where does Barbados Joe Walcott fall?
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 9:36 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:

Both of them had trouble with guys who had movement.

Yeah and 90% of the time they ended up still beating them. In some ways that is the mark of a truly great fighter. You're reduced to talking about not who they lost to, but merely when they struggled.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 9:38 pm

Robert Duran- the no mas fight. Or as I always refer to it, "fuck you Ray, I'm sick of your shit."
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 10:05 pm

NAFight53 wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:

some of the greatest fighters to ever live and duran moved up in weight to fight them all. hearns was just the completely wrong style for duran especially since he moved up so much weight. close fight with hagler, a middleweight, who is one of the best middleweights of all time. he beat leonard in their first fight and he lost one. benitez just fought a good fight and it was close. arguello moved up and in weight and fought aaron pryor and lost and he wasnt as good as any of those 4 fighters duran lost to.
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

Favorite Fighter(s) : Highlander, Ricardo Romero,Roman Gonzalez, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, Marco Huck, JMM, Frankie Edgar, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 11:01 pm

Central America- Duran

South American- Monzon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 11:06 pm

Ricardo Mayorga and Carlos Baldomir.

I agree with NJ.
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

Favorite Fighter(s) : Highlander, Ricardo Romero,Roman Gonzalez, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, Marco Huck, JMM, Frankie Edgar, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 11:09 pm

Mayorga was the greatest Central American trashtalker

"Fernando looks like he's on girls hormones, he ate too many fucking cheeseburgers"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 11:10 pm

LOL
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 11:17 pm

The lead-up to Mayorga-Vargas was better than any of the 24/7's
Back to top Go down
NAFight53

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 9:41 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Arguello is my favorite fighter. But Roberto Duran was clearly superior. He dominated men his own size, he defeated ATG's up 12 pounds from that. He defeated excellent fighters up 20 pounds and he held his own against one of the top 3-4 middles ever to fight. It's an astonishing resume.

I'd rate Eder Jofre the greatest of the South American fighters just ahead of Carlos Monzon.

How do you think Tony "El Torito" Ayala would've done against Duran ?
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 10:32 pm

NAFight53 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Had they fought right before Ayala was jailed? By then Duran is three divisions over his best weight but Ayala really hasn't beaten anybody yet (and never really did). Carlos Hererra was a good, but not a great fighter. My guess is Duran beats him in a rugged fight.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 10:45 pm

if anyone can rough up a young Ayala it was Manos de Pedria
Back to top Go down
NAFight53

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 11:26 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
NAFight53 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Had they fought right before Ayala was jailed? By then Duran is three divisions over his best weight but Ayala really hasn't beaten anybody yet (and never really did). Carlos Hererra was a good, but not a great fighter. My guess is Duran beats him in a rugged fight.

Good question...Ayala (if not mistaken) was only 19 years old when he went to jail...my revised question: If Ayala had stayed out of trouble...would a prime Tony Ayala beat a prime Roberto Duran ?

BTW , Angelo Dundee said (if not mistaken) Tony Ayala could have been an ATG.
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 11:28 pm

I think the legend grows with each passing generation, but it sounds like Torito whopped the shit out of Pipino Cuevas in a sparring session when Torito was 15.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 12:12 am

NAFight53 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
NAFight53 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Good question...Ayala (if not mistaken) was only 19 years old when he went to jail...my revised question: If Ayala had stayed out of trouble...would a prime Tony Ayala beat a prime Roberto Duran ?

A prime Roberto Duran was 135 pounds and Ayala was never below 154. I suspect a 25 year old Ayala with 35 or so fights behind him might have been too big for the 32 year old Duran who fought at 154. But why does Ayala deserve even to have the question asked? Here's a first requirement to be a great fighter, don't do things that send you to jail for 15 years when you're 20. If a guy isn't even disciplined enough to do THAT, why do we think he would have been disciplined enough to train right, eat right, drink right, follow a fight plan, keep his cool when things got tough in the ring etc to get to even a title, let alone ATGness?

Ayala wasn't missing some element of character tangential to boxing, he was missing one ESSENTIAL to boxing.
Back to top Go down
NAFight53

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 1:21 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
NAFight53 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
NAFight53 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

A prime Roberto Duran was 135 pounds and Ayala was never below 154. I suspect a 25 year old Ayala with 35 or so fights behind him might have been too big for the 32 year old Duran who fought at 154. But why does[b] Ayala deserve even to have the question asked?[/b] Here's a first requirement to be a great fighter, don't do things that send you to jail for 15 years when you're 20. If a guy isn't even disciplined enough to do THAT, why do we think he would have been disciplined enough to train right, eat right, drink right, follow a fight plan, keep his cool when things got tough in the ring etc to get to even a title, let alone ATGness?

Ayala wasn't missing some element of character tangential to boxing, he was missing one ESSENTIAL to boxing.

What you're saying is that when Duran fought and lost to Benitez, Hagler and Hearns, he was well past his prime ?

BTW, I'm here on a boxing forum to talk boxing, not morals and ethics....his conduct outside the ring was unacceptable..he was and still is being held accoutable for his actions....

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: South America and Central America ?   South America and Central America ? Empty

Back to top Go down

South America and Central America ?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next