Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LATEST ROBINSON BIO

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

LATEST ROBINSON BIO Empty
PostSubject: LATEST ROBINSON BIO   LATEST ROBINSON BIO EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 1:35 pm

Wil Haygood has written "Sweet Thunder: The Life and Times of Sugar Robinson." The first thing to note about this book is nearly half of it is spent on "the times." Instead of focusing on boxing Haygood focuses on the social situation in Harlem and across black American largely through the lens of what was happening in the Civil Rights movement and in the lives of Langston Hughes, Lena Horne and Miles Davis. I thought it was a distraction rather than illuminating of Robinson. The book is also jumbled through time and if there is a pattern to the story I didn't see it. As a result it is tough to get some idea of the flow of Robinson's life either in or out of the ring. Lastly, Haygood just took too damned much from Sugar's autobiography, especially early in the book. Very little new work was done.

Having said all that the book is not without value. I leaned some things I didn't know before (in no order)

-In 1950, in a fight with Joe Rindone, Robinson turns to a local reporter after five rounds and said "I hope the folks on TV are getting a good show." When the reporter told him this wasn't a TV fight, Robinson looked annoyed and stopped Rindone in the next round.

-His trainer George Gainford recalled how inquisitive of fight tactics the youthful Robinson was.

-21,000 attended the 1937 Golden Gloves and another 8000 were turned away.

-Jake LaMotta said "Sugar Ray was the boss. Whatever Sugar Ray said, went. Just like me. We fought anybody.No one could tell us who to fight and who not to fight. It was really like Sugar Ray was his own manager."

-The first Lamotta fight was (gasp) at a (double gasp) catchweight.

-LaMotta's take on the third fight? "I didn't lose it, he got the decision."

-A young Red Foxx showed up at the Basilio rematch with an S carved into his hair.

There are far better books on Robinson.

Last edited by marbleheadmaui on Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tobe06
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
Tobe06

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ali

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ROBINSON BIO   LATEST ROBINSON BIO EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 1:58 pm

Here's a review of that book by a writer I really like, Stephen Brunt (Facing Ali, Mean Business, also a columnist for the Toronto Globe & Mail).

My favorite line in the review is: "The book feels very much as if it were researched in a library, and not in the gym"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/books/review-sweet-thunder-the-life-and-times-of-sugar-ray-robinson-by-wil-haygood/article1496096/
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ROBINSON BIO   LATEST ROBINSON BIO EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 2:01 pm

Tobe06 wrote:
Here's a review of that book by a writer I really like, Stephen Brunt (Facing Ali, Mean Business, also a columnist for the Toronto Globe & Mail).

My favorite line in the review is: "The book feels very much as if it were researched in a library, and not in the gym"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/books/review-sweet-thunder-the-life-and-times-of-sugar-ray-robinson-by-wil-haygood/article1496096/

I LOVED Brunt's Facing Ali. Wondefrful. He is dead right. At one point Haygood talks about Robinson fearing a stoppage on a cut verses Randy Turpin fearing he'd then lose the decision. The rules at that time (properly so) meant Robinson would have feared a TKO loss. Pretty basic thing not to know.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ROBINSON BIO   LATEST ROBINSON BIO EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 2:03 pm

i hate reading any bio on sports figures where it seems like your reading a text book for a sociology course...the bummy davis and tiger flowers bio s i started to read started off a lot like that so i put them down..i may have to start at page 100 if neccesary to eliminate that bullshit..
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ROBINSON BIO   LATEST ROBINSON BIO EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 2:07 pm

Bummy Davis one was soooo BORING

is this the Robinson book that has a Yellow Cover?

reading Ring of Hate about Louis vs Schmelling almost done its a great read
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ROBINSON BIO   LATEST ROBINSON BIO EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 2:08 pm

dmar5143[b] wrote:
i hate reading any bio on sports figures where it seems like your reading a text book for a sociology course[/b]...the bummy davis and tiger flowers bio s i started to read started off a lot like that so i put them down..i may have to start at page 100 if neccesary to eliminate that bullshit..

For God's sake DON"T pick this one up!
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ROBINSON BIO   LATEST ROBINSON BIO EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 2:09 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
Bummy Davis one was soooo BORING

is this the Robinson book that has a Yellow Cover?

reading Ring of Hate about Louis vs Schmelling almost done its a great read

Yes to the bold. I haven't read Ring of Hate. I'll pick that up. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LATEST ROBINSON BIO   LATEST ROBINSON BIO Empty

Back to top Go down

LATEST ROBINSON BIO
Page 1 of 1