Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?

Go down 
+5
Deezy0814
KrazyHorseBennett
powerpuncher
dmar5143
4445Frank
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? Empty
PostSubject: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 8:09 am

Just curious as to what the board thinks. Maybe Ali and Robinson are the best to ever do it, however it's gets sort of repetitive to hear the same guys mentioned over and over. If these two are excluded, who is your choice for the GOAT? Please choose only one fighter.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 9:27 am

willie pep is my choice..and its always been over ali..and since were limited to just one name its pep since there are other fighters i rate over ali but none over robinson...carmen basilio and others agree with me..
a true story was robinson was asked years after he retired who was the greatest fighter he ever saw..ray said willie pep...pep later was told what robinson said and was asked the same question..who was the greatest fighter you ever saw..peps anser was i agree with robinson...lol.you goota love willes fast wit.
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 9:32 am

i agree with dmar that pep is the best other than those two but i dont agree with him saying that more people are better than ali. i believe that ali is the GOAT but pep is definitely the best excluding those two.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 9:35 am

Joe Louis
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 11:35 am

Henry Armstrong
Back to top Go down
Deezy0814
Green Belt
Green Belt
Deezy0814

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rampage Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 11:51 am

if this is a bad choice i'll take the criticism but how about Ray Leonard?
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 12:39 pm

Deezy0814 wrote:
personally, i wouldnt say its a bad choice at all but im guessing that people will give you criticism for it. leonard is for sure in my top 10
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 1:44 pm

Deezy0814 wrote:
I think you have a feasible argument here. Leonard had great competition during his time and I can't imagine any fighter doing any better.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 2:30 pm

leanard was a great fighter of course..history shows several fighters that not only were greater but did better against far more supierior competion on a regular basis..
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 2:39 pm

I have many issues with Leonard post-Bruce Finch
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 2:47 pm

4445Frank wrote:
Deezy0814 wrote:
I think you have a feasible argument here. Leonard had great competition during his time and I can't imagine any fighter doing any better.
good point. i dont know many fighters that could have taken on duran, benitez, hearns, and hagler, and beaten them all. SRR is the only one that comes to mind.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 3:23 pm

Henry Armstrong
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Leonards not a top 10 all time talent IMO
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 3:49 pm

you dont think harry greb couldnt have beaten all of rays oponents including ray...ray didnt win the hagler fight at all.it was a case of marvin lossing it..theres a differnce.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 4:48 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
you dont think harry greb couldnt have beaten all of rays oponents including ray...ray didnt win the hagler fight at all.it was a case of marvin lossing it..theres a differnce.

agree Hagler was dumb to come out orhtodox
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 5:00 pm

yep theres one of good reasons bird.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 5:05 pm

also Leonard had losses to guys like Camaacho and Terry Norris when he was past his prime, I know that he was PAST HIS PRIME but still, guys like Roberto Duran and Foreman were able to pull off last hoorahs while Leonard was getting beat by guys that could hardly be described as greats

Ima Leonard fan, my pops met him at the Palm in Dallas tx when Leonard was delayed waiting for a plane and my pops was alone as was Leonard, so Leonard asked if my dad wanted to join him since people would be less inclined to bother him if he was eating with someone instead of sitting alone. Said he was jsut a genuine nice guy and I got the auto to prove it.

But I still think top 10 is to high for him
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 5:25 pm

I'm not saying Leonard is the GOAT though I do think "Deezy" has an opinion that he could effectively bring to the table. If we compare eras, I think we have to consider the conditions of the time. For example, Ray Robinson had 110 KOs. I don't know if anyone is even going to fight 110 fights again, let alone knock out 110 guys. Ali was 56 - 5 when he retired. Though he fought much more often than today's fighters, his era did not call for him, nor any other fighter, to fight as often as Robinson had to. In Leonard's era, the numbers were even lower. Leonard could pick and choose who he wanted. For the most part, he was fearless and chose the best. In a welterweight division that was overwhelmed with talent, Leonard did as well as anybody could (My opinion.). At WW, Ray Robinson had wars with Kid Gavilan, Jake La Matta, and many others. Could Duran compare to La Matta? Could Hearns compare to Gavilan? Probably. (Note: I know Jake and Ray met for Jake's MW title but I think they met at least once at WW.) Granted, with Ray Robinson's ego and lifestyle of chasing women, he would never have fought over 100 fights in the 80s. Do I think Leonard is the GOAT? Probably not, however I think it's a good, solid opinion which should be respected.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 5:27 pm

sorry no chance in hell Leonard is GOAT
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 5:29 pm

lol not even 10 chances in hell..
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 5:36 pm

agree dmar
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
sorry no chance in hell Leonard is GOAT
LOL You guys are harsh!
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 6:21 pm

Ok, I won't argue that Leonard's the GOAT because I'll lose.But here's another point I don't think you guys can deny. Leonard would've been a great opponent for Robinson at welterweight (Not MW). It would've been a great fight and I think Leonard is a good, not certain, pick to win. Not that's not so hard to imagine. Dmar, Bird, what do ya say?
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 6:48 pm

Robinson owns Leonard sorry, Ray was at one point 120-1-1 at welter

your never going to convince me that a guy that fought 40 pro fights beats Robinson

Duran, Hearns, and Benitez were able to outbox Leonard at times and for long stretchs, no way he beats Robinson

Leonard wasnt even the best welter ever, hows he going to be the best fihgter ever?
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? EmptyWed May 26, 2010 8:08 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
greb was a middleweight, not a natural welter like leonard so its a bad example
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?   Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT? Empty

Back to top Go down

Excluding Ali and SR Robinson, who is the GOAT?
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next