Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?

Go down 
+7
thessy11
r3dman7630
captain organic
chorky777
Ludo
KingsOwn19
Wolfgangsta
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? Empty
PostSubject: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 5:16 pm

Had he signed with Strikeforce last year?

Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 5:29 pm

No.

No elbows to grounded opponents.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 5:34 pm

My initial reaction was no because he would likely lose a close fight with Mo and would be KO'd by the Feijao of 2010, but had he fought Babalu or Mousasi...

Someone please defend a LHW title. The UFC's undisputed title could very well lose some of it's status if no one can hang onto it and if Strikeforce's division is just as competitive and talent rich.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 6:34 pm

A year ago Tito could have won the title from Babalu or Mousasi.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 7:03 pm

Did Tito recently become good or something? I'm confused. As far as I'm concerned he's an aging, slow fighter who hasn't grown as a fighter in the last 5 years. I don't think he beats most decent light heavyweights. He'd have a better shot against the heavies, but I still think he'd lose there, too.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 7:08 pm

He looked competitive against Forrest, and as late as 2007 was still on par with guys like Evans so against a Babalu or a Mousasi who couldn't defend takedowns he'd have a great chance.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 7:15 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
He looked competitive against Forrest, and as late as 2007 was still on par with guys like Evans so against a Babalu or a Mousasi who couldn't defend takedowns he'd have a great chance.

Yeah, but it'd be a 5 round fight. By the middle of the 2nd round against Forrest, he was spent. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just feel like Tito doesn't have it in him anymore.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 7:21 pm

Tito also has had very good submission defense for a number of years. Having only been submitted once in his entire career thirteen years ago. He could spend all day on the groud with Mousasi or Babalu and avoid the Sub. He could sit in guard for five rounds without a problem I would think.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 7:24 pm

LudoCain wrote:
Tito also has had very good submission defense for a number of years. Having only been submitted once in his entire career thirteen years ago. He could spend all day on the groud with Mousasi or Babalu and avoid the Sub. He could sit in guard for five rounds without a problem I would think.

He'd get swept more than the Baltimore Orioles if he tried to sit in guard for 5 rounds.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 7:24 pm

I'd say he may have beaten Babalu but I think Gegard would have won. tito is not an olympic wrestler, and he's way past prime, Gegard would have kept it standing where he would have a clear advantage.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 7:25 pm

chorky777 wrote:
LudoCain wrote:

He'd get swept more than the Baltimore Orioles if he tried to sit in guard for 5 rounds.

Yeah cause Tito leaves himself open for sweeps all the time. Your selling Tito way short here.
Back to top Go down
r3dman7630
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
r3dman7630

Favorite Fighter(s) : Hendo, Fedor, Big Nog, Couture, Shogun, Gomi, Carrano, any one who fights Brock! and all the underdogs....

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 7:31 pm

one of the most overrated fighters IMO....he wouldve been outclasses there to.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 7:32 pm

I think his prowess in the Liddell era is heavily underrated.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 8:16 pm

I think Mousasi, Mo, Feijao and quite possibly Babalu would beat Tito.

..and once again, it's Strikeforce and what is Tito's bread and butter? elbowing peoples brains all over the mat...even more so now that he's aged and has a horrible back and is apparently prone to cracked skulls.

If we can sit back and talk about how irrelevant Chuck Liddell is now, sadly, Tito Ortiz is even more irrelevant.

I like Tito as well. I thought he was the first true star in MMA as it pertains to the fighters building up the fights and he used to be filthy but those days are over and the top LHWs in UFC and the few guys SF have are better than him.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 8:28 pm

Babalu won the Strikeforce title, and he would fall under the same umbrella if your Liddell connection is applied evenly. Bobby Southworth isn't exactly a top flight guy though. edit - If I remember right Babalu was losing the fight soundly before he scored the cut.
Back to top Go down
thessy11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 10:40 pm

The Detroit Lions are a bad football NFL team. The Detroit Lions would kick the everloving snot out of any team in the AFL, CFL, XFL, any college team, etc.

Relevancy is based on the level of competition. People take Tito getting beat a few times (everyone who beat Tito was the #1 LHW either at the time, or within 1/2 fights before/after fighting Ortiz) in the UFC to mean too much than it should when weighing how he would do outside the UFC.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 11:58 pm

Terrible post thessy, we can all accept Strikeforce as the #2 org with not as deep a pool of high level talent as the UFC...but classing it with XFL vs. NFL when it comes to talent is just flat out asinine and sounds like Dana White fed you the line. There is plenty of guys in each SF weight class that would do well in the UFC with the exception of WW. There is about 4 LHW(Mo, Mousasi, Feijao, Hendo) in SF that would beat Tito Ortiz and thats all there is to it...and probably over 10 LHW's in the UFC would beat him. That = Not a factor in the grand scheme of things = irrelevant. I'm not saying he sucks or he's like Shamrock now...but he's not beating any primed, past the middle LHW.

Tito may have won the belt if he signed when he was originally in talks with SF when all they had was Babalu but he would lose it to Mousasi and never regain it again....just like Babalu never will.

Tito Ortiz is the Detroit Lions and Rafael Feijao is the NCAA champ or even Touchdown Tommy Maddox?. Make sure to read the side of the package when you drink the Dana White kool aid...if you drink too much, you may get dia-beet-us...or atleast the runs.

Last edited by KingsOwn19 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:09 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 12:00 am

Wouldn't he have had a cracked skull back then? If so, I say no
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 12:57 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
My initial reaction was no because he would likely lose a close fight with Mo and would be KO'd by the Feijao of 2010, but had he fought Babalu or Mousasi...

Someone please defend a LHW title. The UFC's undisputed title could very well lose some of it's status if no one can hang onto it and if Strikeforce's division is just as competitive and talent rich.

The Strikeforce division would never be as talent rich. Rua, Machida, Rashad, Rampage and Jones easily beat anyone in Strikeforce.
Back to top Go down
thessy11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 5:26 am

KingsOwn19 wrote:
Terrible post thessy, we can all accept Strikeforce as the #2 org with not as deep a pool of high level talent as the UFC...but classing it with XFL vs. NFL when it comes to talent is just flat out asinine and sounds like Dana White fed you the line. There is plenty of guys in each SF weight class that would do well in the UFC with the exception of WW. There is about 4 LHW(Mo, Mousasi, Feijao, Hendo) in SF that would beat Tito Ortiz and thats all there is to it...and probably over 10 LHW's in the UFC would beat him. That = Not a factor in the grand scheme of things = irrelevant. I'm not saying he sucks or he's like Shamrock now...but he's not beating any primed, past the middle LHW.

Tito may have won the belt if he signed when he was originally in talks with SF when all they had was Babalu but he would lose it to Mousasi and never regain it again....just like Babalu never will.

Tito Ortiz is the Detroit Lions and Rafael Feijao is the NCAA champ or even Touchdown Tommy Maddox?. Make sure to read the side of the package when you drink the Dana White kool aid...if you drink too much, you may get dia-beet-us...or atleast the runs.

I never equated Strikeforce with the XFL specifically. You are so entrenched in your position here that you can't clearly distinguish when someone is trying to argue with you and when they are just making a blanket statement. You're also making up your own definition for irrelevant and using it in place of 'not a contender [in my opinion]'
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 1:43 pm

Quote :
The Strikeforce division would never be as talent rich. Rua, Machida, Rashad, Rampage and Jones easily beat anyone in Strikeforce.

Why? What makes you so sure the UFC has a monopoly on all the talent? Especially when more than just skill factors into why the top names in SF are not in the UFC already.

The longer we get between the present and the last Pride event, and the more up and comers fight in the other major leagues, the less certain we can be that fighters outside the UFC are inferior.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 1:46 pm

I'm pretty sure I don't even need to state my answer to this question.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 1:58 pm

Tito's last win was against a 50lb coke whore and he only won that via TKO due to injury.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 2:08 pm

That 50 pound coke whore happens to be his wife, jerk.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 2:11 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
That 50 pound coke whore happens to be his wife, jerk.

Are you sure about that? I don't remember any wedding bells? Last I checked that was just his baby momma.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?   Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title? Empty

Back to top Go down

Could Tito have won the Strikeforce title?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next