Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

GREAT FIGHTERS BUT

Go down 
+2
hardcoreBEE24
marbleheadmaui
6 posters
AuthorMessage
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

GREAT FIGHTERS BUT Empty
PostSubject: GREAT FIGHTERS BUT   GREAT FIGHTERS BUT EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 4:48 am

In the last 30-40 years there have been some awfully good fighters who were properly overshadowed by better ones. In many cases these almost great fighters were just one or two wins from a spot in the Hall of Fame. Here are some of them.

Michael Nunn-Before he ran into James Toney and got turned around, he had beaten consecutively Frank Tate, Juan Roldan, Sumbu Kalambay, Iran Barkely, Marlon Starling and Donald Curry. Holy crap! For ten rounds he also dominated Toney...but...

Betulio Gonzales-The Venezuelan Hammer lost twice by split decision to ATG Miguel Canto. If he wins those fights? He's a top 5-10 flyweight of all time. It's almost a joke he's not in the HOF.

Juan LaPorte-Fought competitive fights with Azumah Nelson, Barry McGuigan, Julio Cesar Chavez and Eusabio Pedroza. He could have won the Chavez fight.

Ernesto Marcel-A great what if. Before he retired as a 26 year old featherweight, the Panamanian had lost to Roberto Duran and beaten 8 ranked guys. In his last two fights he beat Sammy Serrano and Alexis Arguello. Not too shabby.

Yaqui Lopez-A light heavyweight who would OWN the division today. The problem is in his own time he had to deal with HOFer after HOFer. He went life and death with Saad Muhammad twice, lost a decision to Victor Galindez and got drilled by Michael Spinks.

Benny Briscoe-The best in the golden age of Philly middleweights. beat over a dozen ranked guys, a HUGE puncher. Went the distance with Hagler, came this close to dropping Monzon in Argentina, got a draw and an SD loss to Emil Griffith.

Ruben Castillo-At one point the classy California featherweight was 62-5. His losses were to Julio Cesar Chavez, Juan LaPorte, Salvador Sanchez and Alexis Arguello. Now THAT is tough luck.

Who else was close to great but not quite?

Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

GREAT FIGHTERS BUT Empty
PostSubject: Re: GREAT FIGHTERS BUT   GREAT FIGHTERS BUT EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 5:16 am

Julian Jackson- Got BodySnatched after KOing 25 of first 27 opponents. Went on to viciously KO Terry Norris. Then lost to McClellan twice. Great puncher lots of trinket defenses but not a Hall of Famer.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

GREAT FIGHTERS BUT Empty
PostSubject: Re: GREAT FIGHTERS BUT   GREAT FIGHTERS BUT EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 7:50 am

Jerry Quarry. It's his tough luck that he came along in what may have been the greatest era in the HW division. Fought well in his first fight against Joe Frazier but was stopped late. Joe almost killed him the 2nd time around. Fought good fights against Patterson and Ellis. Knocked out Earnie Shavers in under a round. Also, took care of Ron Lyle. Two losses to Muhammad Ali. Generally known as the "Best of the Rest" in the 60s and 70s HW division. I don't think he'd have trouble with any HW today. Not good to start naming people he may've beaten from other eras. The list is too long. In my opinion, he lost to the best fighters that ever did it, but still managed to make a name for himself.

Last edited by 4445Frank on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

GREAT FIGHTERS BUT Empty
PostSubject: Re: GREAT FIGHTERS BUT   GREAT FIGHTERS BUT EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 11:56 am

again rodrigo valdez at middle
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

GREAT FIGHTERS BUT Empty
PostSubject: Re: GREAT FIGHTERS BUT   GREAT FIGHTERS BUT EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 12:47 pm

4445Frank wrote:
Jerry Quarry. It's his tough luck that he came along in what may have been the greatest era in the HW division. Fought well in his first fight against Joe Frazier but was stopped late. Joe almost killed him the 2nd time around. Fought good fights against Patterson and Ellis. Knocked out Earnie Shavers in under a round. Also, took care of Ron Lyle. Two losses to Muhammad Ali. Generally known as the "Best of the Rest" in the 60s and 70s HW division. I don't think he'd have trouble with any HW today. Not good to start naming people he may've beaten from other eras. The list is too long. In my opinion, he lost to the best fighters that ever did it, but still managed to make a name for himself.

Yup on all counts.
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

GREAT FIGHTERS BUT Empty
PostSubject: Re: GREAT FIGHTERS BUT   GREAT FIGHTERS BUT EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 12:48 pm

That Nunn-Starling fight was one of the most painful things I have ever had to endure.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

GREAT FIGHTERS BUT Empty
PostSubject: Re: GREAT FIGHTERS BUT   GREAT FIGHTERS BUT EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 12:48 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
again rodrigo valdez at middle

Again, I thought about him and chose not to write. he's a perfect candidate. Had he hung on late against Monzon? he's a famous guy.
Back to top Go down

GREAT FIGHTERS BUT Empty
PostSubject: Re: GREAT FIGHTERS BUT   GREAT FIGHTERS BUT EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 1:12 pm

I think we should add HOFers/Future HOFers too...

Juan Manuel Marquez - He'll always be overshadowed by Pacquiao and the Mexican legends that came right before him.

Ricky Hatton - His entire career will be looked at in retrospect in comparison to Pacquiao and Mayweather.

Shane Mosley - Even though he beat Oscar, I don't think he escaped his shadow. The way he looked against Mayweather will be fresh in people's minds when thinking about his legacy.

Vernon Forrest - Vernon didn't get enough big fights. The losses to Mayorga looked bad.

Ike Quartey - Couldn't establish himself on the big stage.

Fernando Vargas - Caught in Tito's and De La Hoya's shadow.

Joe Calzaghe - Forever in the shadows of two guys he beat: Bhop and RJJ.

Chris Eubank & Nigel Benn - Makes sense to put them together, and below Calzaghe.

Glen Johnson - A Fans' fighter. Didn't get the breaks.

Vitali & Wladamir Klitschko - Victims of their era.

Oscar Larios - I'm confident he'll end up the forgotten man despite a great career.

Naseem Hamed - His entire career gets overlooked because he lost on his biggest stage and was known more for style than substance.

Hector Camacho - Lost his flash early and fizzled out in some big fights.

Oba Carr - Had to get one that would go unnoticed.

Winky Wright - Didn't get the breaks. Didn't help himself.

Last edited by Gumby on Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

GREAT FIGHTERS BUT Empty
PostSubject: Re: GREAT FIGHTERS BUT   GREAT FIGHTERS BUT EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 1:19 pm

Gumby wrote:

Juan Manuel Marquez - He'll always be overshadowed by Pacquiao and the Mexican legends that came right before him.

Ricky Hatton - His entire career will be looked at in retrospect in comparison to Pacquiao and Mayweather.

Shane Mosley - Even though he beat Oscar, I don't think he escaped his shadow. The way he looked against Mayweather will be fresh in people's minds when thinking about his legacy.

Vernon Forrest - Vernon didn't get enough big fights. The losses to Mayorga looked bad.

Ike Quartey & - Couldn't establish himself on the big stage.

Chris Eubank & Nigel Benn - Makes sense to put them together, and below Calzaghe.

Oscar Larios - I'm confident he'll end up the forgotten man despite a great career.

Naseem Hamed - His entire career gets overlooked because he lost on his biggest stage and was known more for style than substance.

I think that's an excellent list.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

GREAT FIGHTERS BUT Empty
PostSubject: Re: GREAT FIGHTERS BUT   GREAT FIGHTERS BUT EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 1:54 pm

good list and explantions.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

GREAT FIGHTERS BUT Empty
PostSubject: Re: GREAT FIGHTERS BUT   GREAT FIGHTERS BUT EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 1:55 pm

Gumby wrote:

Ike Quartey & - Couldn't establish himself on the big stage.

VERY nicely done.
Back to top Go down
RUM CAPITAL
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
RUM CAPITAL

Favorite Fighter(s) : Carlos Ortiz,Henry Armstrong and Wilfredo Gomez

GREAT FIGHTERS BUT Empty
PostSubject: Re: GREAT FIGHTERS BUT   GREAT FIGHTERS BUT EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 2:51 pm

wilfredo benitez. the reason why is because he gets overshadowed by duran, hagler, leonard and hearns.
and while im at it alfredo el salsero escalera, pedro montanez and jose basora.
btw im going by gumbys adding of HOF fighters.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GREAT FIGHTERS BUT Empty
PostSubject: Re: GREAT FIGHTERS BUT   GREAT FIGHTERS BUT Empty

Back to top Go down

GREAT FIGHTERS BUT
Page 1 of 1