Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

GBP just killing themselves....looking real dumb right now

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

GBP just killing themselves....looking real dumb right now Empty
PostSubject: GBP just killing themselves....looking real dumb right now   GBP just killing themselves....looking real dumb right now EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 1:42 pm

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=29632

By Robert Morales

The war of words have continued between promotional rivals Bob Arum, CEO of Top Rank, and Richard Schaefer, CEO for Golden Boy Promotions.

For the last few months, Arum told numerous press members that his company was negotiating a deal to make a Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight in November. On July 16, Arum held a telephone conference with the press to announce Mayweather's failure to meet a mid-July deadline to accept a proposal to face Pacquiao.

The situation began to escalate when Mayweather's adviser, Leonard Ellerbe, issued a statement on July 19, stating that Mayweather, and manager Al Haymon, were never involved in any negotiations for a November fight with Pacquiao.

"Here are the facts," Ellerbe wrote. "Al Haymon, Richard Schaefer and myself speak to each other on a regular basis and the truth is no negotiations have ever taken place nor was there ever a deal agreed upon by Team Mayweather or Floyd Mayweather to fight Manny Pacquiao on November 13. Either Ross Greenburg or Bob Arum is not telling the truth, but history tells us who is lying."

According to Arum, he never spoke to any member of Mayweather's team directly. Arum says HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg handled the negotiations between him and Haymon for the last two months. Arum's version of the events received a major boost on Monday when Greenburg issued a statement confirming his intermediary role in the Mayweather-Pacquiao negotiations, but more importantly his statement acknowledged that there were ongoing negotiations since the month of May.

“Fights like Mayweather vs. Pacquiao are significant because of these fighters’ ability to connect with sports fans around the world. It’s unfortunate that it won’t happen in 2010. I had been negotiating with a representative from each side since May 2nd, carefully trying to put the fight together. Hopefully, someday this fight will happen. Sports fans deserve it.” Greenburg said.

Greenburg never named the representatives involved, and Schaefer is demanding to know the name of the individual Greenburg was negotiating with on behalf of Mayweather. Schaefer, Ellerbe, Haymon and Golden Boy president Oscar De La Hoya have continued to dispute the existence of these negotiations.

During a Tuesday Los Angeles press conference to announce Juan Manuel Lopez vs. Rafael Marquez, Arum ripped De La Hoya over the comments he made to Univision reporters back in June, and for De La Hoya's explanation on why those comments were made.

When De La Hoya made the televised Univision appearance, he said "... we are very, very close in finalizing the contracts [for a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight]." De La Hoya was responding to questions from Univision's reporters who were inquiring about the status of making a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight.

When De La Hoya spoke to BoxingScene.com a few days ago at the Fortune Gym in Hollywood, he explained why those comments were made.

"I think I said it because I get the question asked so many times that, obviously, I was fed up and tired of it and I just said like, yeah, yeah, it's gonna get made. So it was a quick answer that I should have obviously thought about. But, obviously, negotiations weren't going on. Nothing was going on," De La Hoya.

Arum, speaking to BoxingScene on Tuesday, had choice words for both De La Hoya and Schaefer.

"Very sad. For him to say something like that really demeans himself. Who's he kidding? The statements from Univision were lengthy statements; they weren't just off-handed quotes. ... I really feel sorry for him," Arum told BoxingScene.com.

"He's not a bright kid and he's in over his head and he's looking to Schaefer, who really doesn't understand journalism in this country; you may equivocate, you may evade, but you never lie to a newspaper guy. Because once you lie, you're dead. They're not going to believe anything you say."

Schaefer shot right back at Arum's comments. And Schaefer also made it clear, he's starting to get tired of being called a "liar" - and if the accusations continue - he plans to get his lawyer involved. As reported several days ago, Schaefer is willing to challenge any of the parties to take a lie detector test.

"It is really laughable that is coming from somebody like Bob Arum, whose famous comment is, `Yesterday I was lying, today I'm telling the truth,"' Schaefer said. "This is laughable, a joke. "Again, Bob Arum calling me a liar-you are not the first reporter to tell me that-is something I'm going to refer to my attorney."

Really dont understand why they are backing Mayweather so much?

As a promoter/owner/employer of Floyd, call his ass out!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GBP just killing themselves....looking real dumb right now   GBP just killing themselves....looking real dumb right now EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 1:49 pm

LOL I hope they do get their lawyers involved and Arum hands them thier ass. BTW right now GBP is way worse than Arum.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: GBP just killing themselves....looking real dumb right now   GBP just killing themselves....looking real dumb right now EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 3:55 pm

silince silence silence..all that silence from shaffer hamon floyd golden boy tells it all.period.oscars trying to go along with the BS and is covering his tracts with a puny excuse..the gag order shaffer was a joke..after that gag order was in place for a few weeks you and your cronies could of spoken out and said hey when is going to start..after arum said negotiations are over lets give floyd a week or 10 days to say yes or no..where was your outcry..silence huh..it took 3 more days after the deadline when arum said a margo deals done but not signed yet where was the outcry..finaly denial from the chump puppet ellebee.
now you want to get a lawyer..lol..get your fighters some fights including the semi-retired self proclaimed greatest..now is the time for silence not lawyers.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: GBP just killing themselves....looking real dumb right now   GBP just killing themselves....looking real dumb right now EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 5:09 pm

GBP look like total whores who will do or say anthing to keep making money off of Mayweather. It's obvious that Golden Boy, Ellerbe et all are lying.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: GBP just killing themselves....looking real dumb right now   GBP just killing themselves....looking real dumb right now EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 9:39 pm

so dumb. I would have called Floyd's people immediately if I were golden boy. Explained that HBO has someone that will claim to have been speaking to both sides. And ODH went out and said a fight would be made, and Schaefer said there was a gag order.

Maybe they did, but Floyd told them to kiss his ass, and golden boy did, like they always do.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: GBP just killing themselves....looking real dumb right now   GBP just killing themselves....looking real dumb right now EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 pm

guys i understand this whole thing sucks and seems to be Floyds dault this time around but guys come on, think real quick, take the I hate FLoyd and everyone around him gloves off and answer this

FLoyd made 61 million last year alone, how much do you think he made GBP

ya lets go talk shit to or about our biggest money maker and he biggest star in the sport (a proven fact)

just like the Bob Arum Bullshit " Pacquiao is bigger then Muhammad Ali," shit

you dont bad mouth your bread winner
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GBP just killing themselves....looking real dumb right now   GBP just killing themselves....looking real dumb right now EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 9:58 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
guys i understand this whole thing sucks and seems to be Floyds dault this time around but guys come on, think real quick, take the I hate FLoyd and everyone around him gloves off and answer this

ya lets go talk shit to or about our biggest money maker and he biggest star in the sport (a proven fact)

Unless you have integrity.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: GBP just killing themselves....looking real dumb right now   GBP just killing themselves....looking real dumb right now EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 10:01 pm

Birdofthad wrote:

You dont have to lie though, shit Oscar and Schaefer could just say something like Greenburg did, "hey, we did our best to give the fans the biggest fight out there, unfortunately it didnt happen. Maybe next year"

Dont BS by backing up clear lies

Just making yourself and the company look very very stupid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GBP just killing themselves....looking real dumb right now   GBP just killing themselves....looking real dumb right now Empty

Back to top Go down

GBP just killing themselves....looking real dumb right now
Page 1 of 1