Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bob Arum's views on the WBC silver belt

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Bob Arum's views on the WBC silver belt Empty
PostSubject: Bob Arum's views on the WBC silver belt   Bob Arum's views on the WBC silver belt EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 12:10 pm

"It's a joke. I know it's a joke, you know it's a joke, the fans know it's a joke," Arum told me the other day.

"Hey, it doesn't cost me anything," he said, although he acknowledged it would actually cost him "a few thousand dollars."

"I'm not promoting the silver belt," Arum continued. "I'm promoting Chavez and Duddy. You don't hear me announcing the silver belt nonsense from the rafters do you? It doesn't bother me, but I'm not a phony that I'm going to promote it like it means something. That's the difference. I'm not using it as part of the promotion because I don't believe in it. I don't even know what the f--- it is."

"Hagler would laugh at it," Arum said of Marvelous Marvin Hagler, the all-time great middleweight champion he promoted.

"Hey, it's hard times for the organizations," Arum said. "In this economy, they're scratching for a living. But I don't give a s---. Anyone who gives a s--- about a silver title, I feel sorry for. For me, it's whatever. I did it because I got a call from Sulaiman or his son (Mauricio Sulaiman) and they said they wanted to make Chavez-Duddy for the silver belt. I said, 'Be my guest.' So we'll pay a couple of thousand. The kids aren't paying for it, so why piss Sulaiman off? You might need him someday. As long as it's not costing me anything [much]. This keeps everyone happy."

http://espn.go.com/sports/boxing/blog/_/name/rafael_dan/id/5327455/wbc-silver-title-joke
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum's views on the WBC silver belt   Bob Arum's views on the WBC silver belt EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 1:16 pm

good for arum..like him or not hes on the money many times in what he says.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum's views on the WBC silver belt   Bob Arum's views on the WBC silver belt EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 2:04 pm

Why would he pay even "a couple of thousand" for a sham belt that brings dishonour to the sport?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum's views on the WBC silver belt   Bob Arum's views on the WBC silver belt EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 2:05 pm

Canvas wrote:
Why would he pay even "a couple of thousand" for a sham belt that brings dishonour to the sport?

Probably in hope of the WBC ordering a vacant title fight for Chavez Jr.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum's views on the WBC silver belt   Bob Arum's views on the WBC silver belt EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 2:13 pm

your right. Arum did make mention of keeping Don Jose happy in case he needs him in the future. I guess I knew the answer to my own question, it just makes me sick to my stomach.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum's views on the WBC silver belt   Bob Arum's views on the WBC silver belt EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 4:32 pm

I detest the WBC about as much as I detest the flopping in the World Cup. If you get hit and want to try to draw a foul as you go down then fine. But when you just fall down without anyone touching you and roll around on the ground in pain, you have as much credibility as the WBC (NONE).
Back to top Go down
SlickMoneyXL
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
SlickMoneyXL

Favorite Fighter(s) : Miguel Cotto, Efrain Escudero

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum's views on the WBC silver belt   Bob Arum's views on the WBC silver belt EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 3:31 am

Canvas wrote:

Cuz Bob is liar/manipulator/crook also known as a boxing promoter.

Also i just saw a Latin Fury 15 ppv promo just 2 minutes ago and they're still promoting Eric Morel vs Jorge Arce. Good job Top Rank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bob Arum's views on the WBC silver belt   Bob Arum's views on the WBC silver belt Empty

Back to top Go down

Bob Arum's views on the WBC silver belt
Page 1 of 1