Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Local Rivalries

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

Local Rivalries Empty
PostSubject: Local Rivalries   Local Rivalries EmptyFri May 28, 2010 9:15 pm

We all know rivalries drive the sport of boxing, at the elite and local levels. So if you are familiar with your areas boxing, please share the best local rivalry going on right know.

Here in Dallas/Ft Worth/ Metro area it is easy. Roberto Marroquin vs Luis Yanez. Both were stand out amateurs, both had over 200 amateur wins, both fight at 118 (although Yanez is a natural 106er), and both absolutely hate each other. Their camps hate each other as well.

Somewhere down the line this fight has to happen, although it appears the Yanez faction isnt ready for it yet. Its funny how petty the rivalry is, as an amateur judge down here, if we judge a fight between the two camps (because both camps have numerous fighters, some promising, some not so much) we are always accused of favoring the winner, no matter what. For example several months ago 2 of the caps top amateurs met in a great match. I had it scored 11-10 for blue, another judge 10-9 red, and another 11-9 blue.

Red went bat shit crazy when they lost and demanded to see the scorecards (as you can) and freaked out over the loss, when in reality it was a close good fight.

Marroquin is 14-0 with 11 KO's and is signed to Arums Top Rank promotions, Luis Yanez is 4-0 with no knockouts and is currently unrepresented (but still with the ol gang).

I honestly was a Yanez fan but have grown tired of his antics (pulling out of numerous fights and being dumped by Brown Boy Promotions) I felt sorry for him when he was almost cut from the Olympic squad but its becoming clear the kids kind of an ego maniac.

When these two do meet I think Marroquin will prevail but man its gonna be a big deal when it happens. HUHE MEXICAN RIVALRY.

whats yalls big local rivalry?
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

Local Rivalries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Rivalries   Local Rivalries EmptyFri May 28, 2010 9:15 pm

oh ya its also fun cause the two have fought on the same card twice know and its funny because both have their own supporters so its always a fu battle of the crowd.

Yanez is all boxer with no pop and no jab, while Marroquin is a boxer/puncher
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

Local Rivalries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Rivalries   Local Rivalries EmptyFri May 28, 2010 10:26 pm

The very best one city fight crowd I ever saw was for the Johnny Tapia-Danny Romero fight in Vegas. It sounded like all-Albuquerque had shown up and they were PUMPED!
Back to top Go down
Deezy0814
Green Belt
Green Belt
Deezy0814

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rampage Jackson

Local Rivalries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Rivalries   Local Rivalries EmptySat May 29, 2010 12:02 am

i cant say for sure about indiana and by the way bird who's that in your sig that foreman put on the canvas?
Back to top Go down
Deezy0814
Green Belt
Green Belt
Deezy0814

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rampage Jackson

Local Rivalries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Rivalries   Local Rivalries EmptySat May 29, 2010 12:04 am

never mind i know who it is i just had to check to make sure i thought it was moorer but i didn't want to look like a tard
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Local Rivalries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Rivalries   Local Rivalries EmptySat May 29, 2010 12:14 am

FOreman knocking Micael Moorer out to reclaim the crown
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

Local Rivalries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Rivalries   Local Rivalries EmptySat May 29, 2010 12:24 am

Mike Tyson and Mitch "Blood" Green.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Local Rivalries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Rivalries   Local Rivalries EmptySat May 29, 2010 12:33 am

good add hardcore

"he called me a faggot" hahaha
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

Local Rivalries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Rivalries   Local Rivalries EmptySat May 29, 2010 1:24 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
The very best one city fight crowd I ever saw was for the Johnny Tapia-Danny Romero fight in Vegas. It sounded like all-Albuquerque had shown up and they were PUMPED!

Yeah, I have a really cool dvd that runs almost 90 minutes and it's all local news pieces on Tapia, Romero, and the leadup to the fight. Albuquerque was on fire for that fight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Local Rivalries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local Rivalries   Local Rivalries Empty

Back to top Go down

Local Rivalries
Page 1 of 1