Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Your local newspapers?

Go down 
+7
GDPofDRC
Andrew the Raider King
Cu Bu
Birdofthad
Farmer1906
chorky777
acccardinal12
11 posters
AuthorMessage
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

Your local newspapers? Empty
PostSubject: Your local newspapers?   Your local newspapers? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 4:47 pm

Just wondering if any hometown newspapers have a column or page dedicated to MMA? I have only seen one story from the Courier Journal here in Louisville, KY. They had some news about Lesnar in a small paragraph about his return in July. This was about a month ago. It was in the side column where they have small stories about crap sports like skiing, weightlifting, cricket, etc. I have never seen a big story or even one that is over a paragraph in our paper. You would think a dedicated section for MMA (like Boxing) would get more subscribers. Just wanted to know if any paper in the states has caught on to the fastest growing sport in the world?
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: Your local newspapers?   Your local newspapers? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 5:06 pm

I live in Dayton, and the Dayton Daily News actually has a good, experienced MMA writer in Dann Stupp who also runs MMAJunkie.com.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Your local newspapers?   Your local newspapers? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 5:33 pm

Very rarely does the Houston Chron have anything besides a little TV article when there is a UFC PPV.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Your local newspapers?   Your local newspapers? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 5:51 pm

Dallas Morning News is one of the best sports sections in USA, and whenever MMA is mentioned it is in a bout 3 sentences. Only time big article was written was when UFC 104 was here, and Tim Cowlishaw basically said he turned down Dana Whites offer of a cage side seat and would rather watch boxing over MMA

not exactly a good article for MMA, the follow up after the show basically just ripped on people that wear Affliction shirts
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: Your local newspapers?   Your local newspapers? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 6:04 pm

daily oklahoman does a ok scene round up and shows bigger local name fight outcomes and usually blurb on UFC payperview
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Your local newspapers?   Your local newspapers? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 6:14 pm

I am working it and sending them articles a couple of days a week.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Your local newspapers?   Your local newspapers? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 6:14 pm

Fresno Bee does write ups after PFC, TPF, Purecombat event, and use to do Gladiator Challenge occasionally. They sometimes do features on local fighter before a fight too. When Strikeforce is in town there is usually a pre and post fight write up. There is no dedicated column though. I've seen maybe four or five big write ups from UFC 91, UFC 100, SF Fedor vs Rodgers, and I'm pretty sure Affliction Banned. They give it almost a much coverage as boxing now.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wand, Thiago Alves, BJ Penn, Cain, Vitor, Tito, SHOGUN

PostSubject: Re: Your local newspapers?   Your local newspapers? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 8:24 pm

Hey Beast where is there a good bar to go watch the fight in Louisville. Im down here in elizabethtown, Ky for a while and this town is kinda garbage.
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

PostSubject: Re: Your local newspapers?   Your local newspapers? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 9:21 pm

The Akron Beacon Journal has yet to have had any articles in the sports section on MMA as far as I can remember. Dunno why that is, consdering how big MMA is in this area of Ohio.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Your local newspapers?   Your local newspapers? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 9:58 pm

No. The only time i've seen the Sacramento Bee cover MMA was when somebody wrote a brief editorial about how UFC 100 ruined MMA's chances of ever being accepted as a legit sport rather than human chicken fighting. It was because of Lesnar's BS.

It made me happy that the Bee does not cover MMA on the regular if thats what we get when they do.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Your local newspapers?   Your local newspapers? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 10:35 pm

The Detroit News and Free Press rarely have MMA stories but they do have about once or twice aweek for boxing.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Your local newspapers?   Your local newspapers? EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 1:21 am

muayjitsu wrote:
Hey Beast where is there a good bar to go watch the fight in Louisville. Im down here in elizabethtown, Ky for a while and this town is kinda garbage.

sorry dude been busy today. I like fourth street live downtown. There is a big bowling lley/bar I think it is named lucky strikes. I watched UFC 100 there and had a great time. Drinks are exspensive though and usually a 5 dollar cover which isn't bad at all. I stood the whole time also. get there early or reserve a lane if you want to sit. You can go to Hooters on the river in Jeffersonville which is across the river in Indy also. I will try to find some more places. Hooters in Etown should. I worked in Radcliff for a few years so I know that place is garbage.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Your local newspapers?   Your local newspapers? EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 1:22 am

Man most of you guys at least have a paper that writes about it some times. Courier Journal is garbage!
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

PostSubject: Re: Your local newspapers?   Your local newspapers? EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 1:24 am

There is a hooters in E town lol??? Shows how much I know this place thanks though I kinda like the bowling alley idea its kinda different. Im working at knox here till mid march and dont wanna miss any fights.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Your local newspapers?   Your local newspapers? EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 1:30 am

muayjitsu wrote:
There is a hooters in E town lol??? Shows how much I know this place thanks though I kinda like the bowling alley idea its kinda different. Im working at knox here till mid march and dont wanna miss any fights.
I think there is? I could be wrong. I worked on base and in Radcliff and rarely drove down to that end. Had to pay a ticket once and bought a CD in Etown. Other than that I always drove back to Louisville after work. You should go to 4th street either way. You will have a great time (cause you are in a boring area). Let me know if you drive up?
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

PostSubject: Re: Your local newspapers?   Your local newspapers? EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 1:36 am

Will do E town is not that far from Louisville.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Your local newspapers?   Your local newspapers? EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 2:43 am

I stated earlier that I send in articles, hoping they get published, I failed to mention that they have two write-ups a week on the world of Professional Wrestling.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your local newspapers?   Your local newspapers? Empty

Back to top Go down

Your local newspapers?
Page 1 of 1