Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Andre Berto to 140?

Go down 
+4
captainanddew
dmar5143
gomez1012
NBrooks5
8 posters
AuthorMessage
NBrooks5
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
NBrooks5

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny, JMM, Casamayor and Katsidis

Andre Berto to 140? Empty
PostSubject: Andre Berto to 140?   Andre Berto to 140? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 4:25 pm

Bryant (Pitt)
Dan did I hear you right?????? Berto at 140 will my dream fight of Berto/Alexander fight actually happen?!?

Dan Rafael
(1:05 PM)
Yes, you heard right. MAYBE next fight in the 143ish range on his way down. I think he sees Bradley going to welterweight for his next fight and would like to get into the mix of those kind of bouts. If he can go into the lower 140s, he could maybe fight one of the big names at a catchweight without them risking their title. Or maybe he could get all the way down to 140.

I swear all of Al Haymon's fighters manage to make the dumbest decisions and keep themselves out of good fights.

The latest is that Berto is going to fight his next fight at a catchweight of 143 to set up a future fight with Alexander at 140.

Wouldn't now be the perfect time to reschedule the Mosley fight? Or fight Williams who wants his next fight at 147.

Looks like Berto is going to do everything he can to protect that 0.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=28169

"I'm not saying that he's definitely going to do it, but in this business it's good to have options and one of his options is to fight below 147. Berto is not a big welterweight. Why couldn't Amir Khan or Tim Bradley fight Berto for his welterweight title at 143 or 144? He wants the big fights now. There is a lot of talent and a lot of potential good fights a weight class below," DiBella told BoxingScene.com.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto to 140?   Andre Berto to 140? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 4:54 pm

Berto needs to fight Mosley or Clottey IMO

dropping down to 140? dumb move indeed
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto to 140?   Andre Berto to 140? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 5:55 pm

dumb move by berto and his folks..fight at 147 if bradley wants that fight let him come up in weight..i dont think bertos trying to protect that 0 at all..he did have mosley lined up.tell both floyd and pac im ready if you two cannot get an agreement ill do nov 13 pac or nov 1 floyd.meanwhile fight collazzo if bradley dont want to move up...stupid move to go lower for him.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto to 140?   Andre Berto to 140? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 6:59 pm

I don't see the point in moving to 140. Berto has been at 147 forever. Its not as if he had moved up and figured out he was too small for 147. He has fights HBO will pay for at 147. I would guess they would take Clottey or Mosley (as Gomez suggested).

And in looking at Berto's career, he has had the competition slowly stepped up. Clottey or Mosley are the perfect guys for him. Mosley took a beating and may be shot. Clottey lost convincingly and Berto should be able to outwork him (as almost any elite fighter would).
Back to top Go down
NJBeatdown86
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
NJBeatdown86

Favorite Fighter(s) : Highlander, Ricardo Romero,Roman Gonzalez, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, Marco Huck, JMM, Frankie Edgar, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto to 140?   Andre Berto to 140? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 9:05 pm

Weren't his first few fights at 154? He'd be dead at 140.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto to 140?   Andre Berto to 140? EmptySat May 29, 2010 12:04 am

Pointless move, Berto should be looking to fight Mosley or Clottey next like Gomez said.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto to 140?   Andre Berto to 140? EmptySat May 29, 2010 12:15 am

Berto fought his first fights as a Supermiddle weight. I don't think he's got the body to fight at 140. If he fights a fast hungry southpaw at 140 I think he'll be destroyed. Berto is really in a pickle with his career, I don't see him beating any of the top guys from 140-160. He should fight Malignaggi at 147. They're both DiBella guys and that fight would be easy to make.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto to 140?   Andre Berto to 140? EmptySat May 29, 2010 12:20 am

It's an even more odd move considering Berto could end up facing Pac or Floyd if those negotiations collapse.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto to 140?   Andre Berto to 140? EmptySat May 29, 2010 12:22 am

Ali_1748 wrote:
It's an even more odd move considering Berto could end up facing Pac or Floyd if those negotiations collapse.

Well if he fights Floyd he can keep his belt since Floyd doesn't want belts and he'll get a huge payday from either. I don't think he poses a real threat to Pac or Floyd either (obviously).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto to 140?   Andre Berto to 140? EmptySat May 29, 2010 12:28 am

hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Well if he fights Floyd he can keep his belt since Floyd doesn't want belts and he'll get a huge payday from either. I don't think he poses a real threat to Pac or Floyd either (obviously).

I don't think he'll be a huge threat to either guy, but I wouldn't mind seeing Berto face them. At least they'd be facing a top 5 Welterweight.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto to 140?   Andre Berto to 140? EmptySat May 29, 2010 12:40 am

Ali_1748 wrote:
hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

I don't think he'll be a huge threat to either guy, but I wouldn't mind seeing Berto face them. At least they'd be facing a top 5 Welterweight.

Only problem is it will be 54 bucks here. I'll get a link to stream of the SKY broadcast Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto to 140?   Andre Berto to 140? EmptySat May 29, 2010 12:44 am

hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Only problem is it will be 54 bucks here. I'll get a link to stream of the SKY broadcast Cool

That's a good point, all Pacqiuao and Mayweather fights are now pay per view Sad

Godbless sopcast.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto to 140?   Andre Berto to 140? EmptySun May 30, 2010 6:24 am

updated.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto to 140?   Andre Berto to 140? EmptySun May 30, 2010 3:33 pm

I think it would be a wise move if he can safely make the weight. He is a small welterweight.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto to 140?   Andre Berto to 140? EmptySun May 30, 2010 4:07 pm

A smart move by Berto I think. Get OUT of the weight room, lose a little of that muscularity, become a little less stumpy by fighting 140's. It's a loaded division.

Now the question is does he have the seven pounds to lose?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto to 140?   Andre Berto to 140? EmptyMon May 31, 2010 4:57 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
A smart move by Berto I think. Get OUT of the weight room, lose a little of that muscularity, become a little less stumpy by fighting 140's. It's a loaded division.

Now the question is does he have the seven pounds to lose?

That's the question Marble, and I am not convinced. He's a pretty heavy guy outside the ring, Berto looked awfully chunky at the Mosley fight conference.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Andre Berto to 140?   Andre Berto to 140? Empty

Back to top Go down

Andre Berto to 140?
Page 1 of 1