Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old

Go down 
+6
dmar5143
4445Frank
WinstonSmith
bobbitt15
Birdofthad
timthebim
10 posters
AuthorMessage

Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old Empty
PostSubject: Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old   Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 12:02 pm

Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old   Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 12:39 pm

1 of the best fights in history.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old   Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 1:49 pm

Hagler is not human.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old   Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 1:49 pm

75 years from know they will still be talking a out this fight
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

still baffles me

why the fuck did Hagler come out orthodox vs Ray, if he doesnt he probably wins IMO
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old   Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 1:02 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
still baffles me

why the fuck did Hagler come out orthodox vs Ray, if he doesnt he probably wins IMO

I thought he won anyways.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old   Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 1:20 pm

That fight made me hate Ray so much. His little bitch flurries to try and steal each round and they then gave him the damn decision.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old   Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 1:39 am

Marvin also agreed to larger gloves and a larger ring.He should have told Ray to screw himself.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old   Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 3:07 am

he also agree to the 12 rounds, big mistake
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old   Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 7:56 am

My niece was born the night Hearns challenged Hagler. She has the only birthday I don't have to look up or write down. April 15th is etched in my mind as the night I saw 3 of the most exciting rounds in boxing history.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old   Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 10:57 am

ray did not win that fight.hagler lost it..1.a 12 rounder over 15 a big mistake2.he allowed ray 1 full year to get ready.rays the more fluid fighter and that time off hurt hagler far more than ray.6 months should of been the cutoff date...3. ray had problems during his fights with southpaws .hagler and his corner were stupid in fighting to long orthadox4.a standard ring should of been insisted upon.5..the petrocelli brothers did a very poor job in the corner not advising hagler of the sence of urgentcy to be very agressive.5. hagler allowed ray to steal several early rounds when little fighting occured.if he got down to business from the begining there would be no controversy..a draw was maybe the proper call...marvin did not win that fight..neither did ray...its a case of hagler losing it not ray winning it.theres a differnce...also he conceded the thumless gloves.
after the fight and months later when hagler wanted a rematch and so did the public ray said the only way ill give a rematch is if marvin admitts i won the fight...thats the day i started to hate his arrogant guts.i lost respect for ray as a fighter and a person right then and there..
viewing him over the years i feel im right..the aloof arangant look on his face and his body language says im a asshole..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old   Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 11:40 am

I never knew Ray Leonard was called Thomas Hearns Laughing
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old   Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 11:43 am

Who can forget the time Ray and Cossell made Hagler look like a fool at Ray's retirement announcement?You would have thought that Marvin would have come out in the manner he did against Hearns.

It is a known fact the Petronelli's had tried to get this fight as early as 82-83,but Ray waited until Marvin was showing signs of slippage.If you noticed in the Mugabi fight,Hagler was looping his punches and was getting hit way too much.
Back to top Go down
victor879
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old   Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 9:12 pm

I heard Hagler had adamantium infused onto his skull.

True story. Wink

Seriously though: one of the greatest fights of all-time.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old   Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 11:13 pm

Ray Leonard: Smart guy
1-The guy in his corner who would yell 30 seconds!!! Ray would try to steal the round if it had been close.

2-He did wait until Hagler had slipped a little bit.

3-the gloves, the ring size, the rounds, etc.....

Ray knew that all things being equal he would not beat a prime Hagler, in a normal size ring, with normal size gloves, and over 15 rounds.

Ray Leonard: Smart guy

Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old   Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 11:19 pm

yea man

boxing at its best right there

unforgettable WAR

I always crack up at Hearns' jheri curl when he gets tagged by Marvelous lol
Back to top Go down
boxinglawyer
White Belt
White Belt

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old   Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 6:55 pm

Hearns does not get enough credit for this fight imo. He was a true warrior in there facing an inhuman, unstopabble, greatest of-all-time middleweight and all he did was dig deep and give it 110% for as long as he could. On THAT night, THAT Marvin Hagler would have KOd any fighter who EVER lived at 160.
Back to top Go down
boxinglawyer
White Belt
White Belt

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old   Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 6:59 pm

Also, I scored the Leonard fight 115-113 for Hagler anyway. Its a VERY common misconception that Hagler gave away the first five rounds before domnating the last half of the fight. He actually won round 3 and 5 pretty solidly. I am amazed at how many people give Ray round 3 despite the fact that he lands only ONE real punch (a hook at about 2 minutes) and Hagler lands several punches including a right upper-hook that shook Ray.
Anyway, when I look at thier score cards and point out that the rounds we differ on are those two rounds and the difference in our score cards, I often convert several "Ray won" guys. Sometimes they dont change thier view, but thats whats makes this sport fun. All the subjectivity.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old   Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 8:22 pm

Subjectivity is good when it involves fights that could legitimately be scored for either guy(and thus fun discussions about the scoring of the fight). I scored that fight for Hagler as well.

Subjectivity is bad when a guy got beat bad enough that even his mom would admit he shouldn't have won.

One thing to keep in mind as boxing fans is the inclination to remember the decisions that were absolutely horrible, and forget all the decisions that were right.

I play alot of poker and it always amazes me the idiots complaining about bad beats. They happen. If you get it all in with pair over pair, you are 80% to win. 20% of the time you lose. But morons remember only the times they lose and forget that they have won a high percentage of the time in those situations (as they should).

Boxing fans do the same thing too much, remembering all the bad decisions, and forgetting all the times the judges got it right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old   Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old Empty

Back to top Go down

Thomas Hearns vs Marvin Hagler now 25 years old
Page 1 of 1