Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Does Shane Carwin's title have any value?

Go down 
+9
LA
captain organic
bobbitt15
timthebim
ohiovol62
GDPofDRC
Ludo
KingsOwn19
Wolfgangsta
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Does Shane Carwin's title have any value? Empty
PostSubject: Does Shane Carwin's title have any value?   Does Shane Carwin's title have any value? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 6:11 pm

While many recognized the interm title that Minotauro won against Tim Sylvia that later passed to Frank Mir to be worth something, since it was created during Randy Couture's abscence and before the green Brock Lesnar was handed a title shot against the then 45 year old Couture, the title Shane Carwin has holds very little significance considering the UFC champion Lesnar, an upgraded Carwin, was towering over him with the appearance of full health at their face off in the cage.

In the years after this, should Carwin lose this "unification" bout and never get another crack at a title, will you remember him as a former UFC HW champion?
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Does Shane Carwin's title have any value?   Does Shane Carwin's title have any value? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 6:15 pm

Not really. It was already announced Brock was expected back this summer i don't even know why they made an interim belt. I won't see him as a champion should he lose to Lesnar but the UFC will therefore most others will
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Does Shane Carwin's title have any value?   Does Shane Carwin's title have any value? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 6:16 pm

No. This was simply an extension of artificial hype. They created the interim belt as a means to keep people interested when Couture was absent due to legal issues. This time around they instituted it as a means to have a qualifying fight so they could either hype up the otherwise uninteresting Mir/Lesnar 3, or give Carwin credibility by saying he beat a legit top 5 Heavyweight and deserves his shot.

Shane Carwin isn't a champion yet. If he loses to Lesnar and never gets another shot(which he probably won't due to his age most likely) he will never be remembered as a Champion, just a guy who got there and couldn't get it done.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Does Shane Carwin's title have any value?   Does Shane Carwin's title have any value? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 6:32 pm

Even if this title does mean nothing now, I still believe it will help his legacy and marketability. Former UFC_______champion sounds good after anyone's name, regardless of what is in the blank.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Does Shane Carwin's title have any value?   Does Shane Carwin's title have any value? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 6:42 pm

It's a ticket to bigger things
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Does Shane Carwin's title have any value?   Does Shane Carwin's title have any value? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 6:42 pm

So does "former UFC title contender"
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: Does Shane Carwin's title have any value?   Does Shane Carwin's title have any value? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 8:17 pm

I don't value it like I value Nog's title. Mur didn't earn a title shot against with a win over Kongo and Carwin didn't earn his shot with a win over Gonzaga. However I can't blame Dana for making another title because we needed a HW fight that meant something. Brock was out of commission for a long time.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Does Shane Carwin's title have any value?   Does Shane Carwin's title have any value? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 9:02 pm

I dont even think Brock was out that long. He should have to be out like a year before they start making interim title fights. Besides how can I say the belt means something when even Carwin said the belt wasnt shit.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Does Shane Carwin's title have any value?   Does Shane Carwin's title have any value? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 9:20 pm

No and I won't consider him a former UFC champ
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Does Shane Carwin's title have any value?   Does Shane Carwin's title have any value? EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 10:20 pm

Nope, I think they made that an interim belt because they didn't know how long brock would be out. but once it was learned that he was OK and ready to fight a couple months later the title lost relevance.

but it did help appease Carwin who went from a title fight to having to win a fight to get a title fight, so it was fair in that sense, and it provided another selling point for that event.

but if he loses to brock then I think the "title" he now holds, holds no water.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Does Shane Carwin's title have any value?   Does Shane Carwin's title have any value? EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 2:31 am

This was a one post No, although he's still a solid fighter which shouldn't be discredited
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Does Shane Carwin's title have any value?   Does Shane Carwin's title have any value? EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 2:38 am

KingsOwn19 wrote:
Not really. It was already announced Brock was expected back this summer i don't even know why they made an interim belt. I won't see him as a champion should he lose to Lesnar but the UFC will therefore most others will

Just to use the term Unification Title Fight

only reaon the belt was made

we didnt know if Randy would be back

we know Brock is coming back
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Does Shane Carwin's title have any value?   Does Shane Carwin's title have any value? EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 8:48 am

Hell no it doesn't have any value. Brocks the champ and I just threw up alittle typing that.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Does Shane Carwin's title have any value?   Does Shane Carwin's title have any value? EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 9:36 am

Brock is the champ and I am rooting for Carwin. However, Shane is nothing but a glorified #1 contender, nothing more and nothing less.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Does Shane Carwin's title have any value?   Does Shane Carwin's title have any value? EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 9:43 am

He did beat the exact same person Brock did for the belt. Probably a better version of the same guy. I look at Carwin as just as much the champ as Brock. Carwin does have more wins in the UFC, he is still undfeated. He did beat a better version of Mir then Brock did and he did it in more impressive fassion(atleast equal).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Shane Carwin's title have any value?   Does Shane Carwin's title have any value? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does Shane Carwin's title have any value?
Page 1 of 1