Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Carwins post fight blog

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JerseyStyle
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Carwins post fight blog Empty
PostSubject: Carwins post fight blog   Carwins post fight blog EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 7:38 am

http://www.shane-carwin.com/profiles/blogs/ufc-131-post-fight-blog

Quote :
I am back home now and wanted to post this blog and give everyone an update.

Heading into the fight with Junior I knew that I was up against one of the best strikers in the division if not in MMA. He is powerful, accurate and as we saw on Saturday night he is able to take a punch to give a punch.

Regardless of the obstacle the opportunity was too great to pass up.

As the fight started I just did not feel like myself, I wasn’t able to get my feet moving and Junior capitalized quickly. As he was pummeling me I kept trying to find a way to defend myself so Herb would not stop the fight. Junior was landing solid shots and that is where probably he broke my nose.

From that point on the rest of the fight was essentially Junior executing his game plan. His jab was extremely effective and he used the jab to set the pace of the fight.

The end of the fight was pretty much a blur. Junior was a better fighter than I was last night. His boxing was better and he used his boxing to take me out of the fight. I have nothing but respect for Junior and his camp. He deserves the title shot.

After the second round I knew I was in trouble. My nose made it impossible to breathe, my eyes were full of blood and Junior was still coming at me. When the ref stopped the fight in the third, I thought it was over. When the doctor came in the octagon I knew it was going to be up to me to sell them on letting me continue. I knew I was in deep trouble but I also knew that all I needed was one clean shot. I wanted to keep myself in the fight. I wasn’t able to see but I said I could and we continued.

When the final bell rang there was no question in my mind who won the fight. I was pretty out of it and needed some medical care. The adrenaline was leaving my body and the pain was coming on pretty fast.

After they raised Juniors hand my corner got me back stage to the doctors and it was decided that I needed to go to the emergency room. I did my mandatory drug test and got in the ambulance and went to the hospital.

I wasn’t able to attend my own after party due to my hospital stay and injuries. After the hospital I went back to my hotel and today I flew home to Colorado.

I called my Mom to let her know I was okay and to have her help my wife prepare my son for what he was about to see. I then called my manager and really that is about all I have done since the fight.

I have had a lot of time to reflect on the fight and while I have not seen it and due to the damage I incurred I can’t recall much of the fight. What I do know is this I am a guy learning how to fight at the elite level. Most of my pre UFC fights were just on a whim. If it wasn’t for guys like Bob or Bean I might not even be here.

My heart can’t be questioned, I think I showed that I have the cardio to fight at this level and I just need to work on my technique. Yes I can knock just about anybody out but I have to continue my quest to become the best fighter in my division.

Being in wars like I was in last night are important test for your career and I am confident I belong in the cage with the best fighters in the world. I need to keep working hard on my technique and testing myself. There are no easy fights at this level, no gimmes. I have to get my nose fixed and once the swelling goes down I need to have my cheek looked at as it may be broken. I can’t wait to heal and get back into the gym and begin working on my game.

I want to thank my family and management. I love you guys and thank you for all your support through all the ups and downs. I want to thank my sponsors. I know we were all hoping for a better outcome but I was honored to be representing you and could not even begin to compete at this level without your support. Last but certainly not least thank you to the #CarwinArmy, you guys are amazing and your messages and tweets inspire me to be a better man and athlete.

Please support the following companies that support me:

Good4UDrinks
Bud Light
HEADRUSH
Malibu Boats
Spradley Ford
PerformanceMMA
MicroTech
GunsAmerica
The Gun Store
HeadBlade
Jamey Jasta

I will be back soon. I will be putting myself into contention sooner than later. I feel there are a lot of compelling fights ahead of me and I am excited to get to work on getting back tot he top.

-Carwin
Back to top Go down

Carwins post fight blog
Page 1 of 1