Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cain on fighting Jones at HW; Cormier potentially dropping to 205 to face Jones

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

Cain on fighting Jones at HW; Cormier potentially dropping to 205 to face Jones Empty
PostSubject: Cain on fighting Jones at HW; Cormier potentially dropping to 205 to face Jones   Cain on fighting Jones at HW; Cormier potentially dropping to 205 to face Jones EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 12:46 am

UFC’s Velasquez: Cormier To Drop To 205, Beat Jon Jones

Read more: http://www.myfoxla.com/story/21786387/ufcs-velasquez-cormier-to-drop-to-205-beat-jon-jones#ixzz2RXedmCsT

In an interview with Fox 11's James Koh, UFC heavyweight champion, Cain Velasquez talks about his upcoming rematch with Antonio "Big Foot" Silva, Chael Sonnen's trash talk and how his teammate, Daniel Cormier is potentially dropping down to light heavyweight to be a challenger to dominate champion Jon Jones.

Velasquez was first asked whether he could foresee a super-fight between himself and Jones at a catchweight.

"Yeah, if it all came down to it where there wasn't anyone else for me to fight in my division and him (Jones) in his division," Velasquez said. "But with Daniel Cormier going into his weight class that will definitely play a factor because I think Daniel Cormier can beat him. To me it's holding the belt, whoever they put in front of me, my goal is to go out there, perform, win and hold that belt."

For a man of very few words and even fewer derisive words for his opponents, Velasquez said he actually enjoys the antics of Chael Sonnen, a man many fans and pundits have criticized for using trash talk, not merit, to gain title opportunities.

"If it works for them, why not?" Velasquez said. "I think he uses it in a good way. For me, I think it's funny how he talks trash."

Reacting to the UFC's cutting of Jon Fitch, Velasquez said he was disappointed in the move.

"With Jon (Fitch), I think he is exciting for his style of fighting because I know the wrestling, I know the jiu jitsu and all the wrestling he does out there, that definitely excites me because I know a lot of it," Velasquez said. "I think a lot of the fans out there definitely want to see more striking on the feet, on the ground but it's a well-rounded sport you need to be a fan of everything."

But even though Velasquez is a gifted grappler himself, he's never been labeled a "boring" fighter with nine of his 11 wins coming by way of knockout or referee stoppage. In his most recent victory versus then-champion Junior Dos Santos, Velasquez battered the Brazilian into a bloody, swollen, unrecognizable mask.

"I'm always looking to strike, score points, if the submission is there I'll definitely take it but my preference is to basically strike when I'm down there," Velasquez said. "That makes it exciting. That's why I got into the sport because wrestling wasn't enough. I need to hit somebody."

Velasquez defends his title in a rematch with Antonio Silva at UFC 160 which will take place in late May at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

"He's on a two-fight winning streak, he just knocked out Alistair Overeem, a huge victory," Velasquez said. "You can't underestimate anyone in this sport, everything's so close with the little gloves and all of that."

"The most important thing for us is just to be quicker than him," Velasquez said of Silva. "He's really fast if you stand right in front of him, so being faster than him, moving in and out will be the key."

Read more: http://www.myfoxla.com/story/21786387/ufcs-velasquez-cormier-to-drop-to-205-beat-jon-jones#ixzz2RXeZ1Coo
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Cain on fighting Jones at HW; Cormier potentially dropping to 205 to face Jones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cain on fighting Jones at HW; Cormier potentially dropping to 205 to face Jones   Cain on fighting Jones at HW; Cormier potentially dropping to 205 to face Jones EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 12:54 am

Still think it's way too soon to entertain an idea of Bones vs. Cain yet, before that happens I'd like to see Bones clear out the remaining challengers in his division and face Silva first. Cain of course to do the same thing with his division.

I'd also like to see Jon have one or two fights at HW before facing Cain, there's a big difference jumping from LHW to HW compared to say MW to LHW.

There really shouldn't be a rush for this fight as Bones will eventually come to HW, with Silva it's different cause he's approaching 40 so the sooner he's in Super Fights the better.

Last edited by Ali* on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Cain on fighting Jones at HW; Cormier potentially dropping to 205 to face Jones   Cain on fighting Jones at HW; Cormier potentially dropping to 205 to face Jones EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 1:02 am

I'm the opposite, I want the best biggest fights between the absolute best fighters as soon as can be. I don't think divisions can be cleared out, there are always new contenders emerging and challengers worthy of title fights.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Cain on fighting Jones at HW; Cormier potentially dropping to 205 to face Jones   Cain on fighting Jones at HW; Cormier potentially dropping to 205 to face Jones EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 1:30 am

Would be funny if they got in an argument over who gets to fight Jones and they end up fighting because of it.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Cain on fighting Jones at HW; Cormier potentially dropping to 205 to face Jones   Cain on fighting Jones at HW; Cormier potentially dropping to 205 to face Jones EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 1:32 am

I think they both are licking their chops for the chance.
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: Cain on fighting Jones at HW; Cormier potentially dropping to 205 to face Jones   Cain on fighting Jones at HW; Cormier potentially dropping to 205 to face Jones EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 9:43 am

the more I hear from cain the more I like him, guess he is my second now after JDS
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cain on fighting Jones at HW; Cormier potentially dropping to 205 to face Jones   Cain on fighting Jones at HW; Cormier potentially dropping to 205 to face Jones Empty

Back to top Go down

Cain on fighting Jones at HW; Cormier potentially dropping to 205 to face Jones
Page 1 of 1