Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A Potential Major Problem

Go down 
+11
GDPofDRC
ohiovol62
GolbeZ
Farmer1906
bobbitt15
Andrew the Raider King
chorky777
Birdofthad
Wolfgangsta
CrazyHorseBennett
Skyab23
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Potential Major Problem   A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 5:14 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Does Machida sound like a champion who would fight every worthy competitor? Doesn't often sound like it.

Yes he does.. first step to be a worthy competitor is wanting to fight the champ I would think right..
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: A Potential Major Problem   A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 5:18 pm

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
They get paid the same no matter who they fight so they don't have to fight their friends

If you're out of contenders, you take care of business. Freak, if you and your best friend are the final two picks to replace a retiring President of the company you work for, are you stepping aside as to not "disrupt" the friendship? Business is business, and we have seen that when Dana isn't liking a situation he can make TP out of contracts and the fighters don't have to get paid at all...

If Machida beats Rua (Not sold since he didn't the first time), and there are no logical contenders other than Lil Nog and or Anderson, Dana needs to step in and lay down an ultimatum to Machida AND his buddies. I am a business owner, and if I have a guy that I know is my best option in a key spot and he tells me no due to conflict of interest of having a friend that he might hurt the feelings of, I will put his ass in a bread line or demote his ass back to being a fucking laborer because I obviously made an error in judgement about his instincts... BUSINESS is BUSINESS!
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: A Potential Major Problem   A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 5:24 pm

GolbeZ wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:
Does Machida sound like a champion who would fight every worthy competitor? Doesn't often sound like it.

Yes he does.. first step to be a worthy competitor is wanting to fight the champ I would think right..

And what would not wanting to fight the champ make one?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: A Potential Major Problem   A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 5:33 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
GolbeZ wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:

And what would not wanting to fight the champ make one?

not the champs problem I guess..

a champ not wanting to fight someone is in a totally different ballpark (Like belt stripping worthy) when being compared to someone not wanting to fight the champ..
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: A Potential Major Problem   A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 5:43 pm

Skyab23 wrote:
Now, in a recent interview he has stated that he will also refuse to fight Lil Nog, who is just coming off of an impressive victory at UFC 106.

Here is the problem. Rogerio may or may not win his next fight and the fight after that and so on. The Champ will refuse to fight him. Well wait a minute champ, if Rogerio puts together a streak and wants to prove to himself and the world that he is a master of his craft by becoming champion, he should have that right, regardless if the champ refuses. I don't care how great a fighter is, when they start talking about the fighters they don't want to fight, for most any reason, I don't like it. Exceptions being a champion not wanting to fight a noob with a 3-1 record or I could get the brother vs brother thing too maybe. But 'we're friends', or 'we train together', come'on. This is the sport.
Back to top Go down
Skyab23
White Belt
White Belt
Skyab23

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor, GSP, Nog

PostSubject: Re: A Potential Major Problem   A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 7:56 pm

Fedor agreed to fight Barnett and those two were good friends. The difference is that Fedor realizes this is a job and a business and to take care of business and prove yourself, you must be willing to take on all challengers. Machida does not follow and neither does Anderson Silva if they are coming out and stating that they will refuse to fight someone because they're buddy buddy with them. Remember, these fights are far from official, they are merely speculation at this point, and he definitively rejects the idea of fighting his "training partners." It's ridiculous and disgraceful to the sport and the fans of the sport. I'm pretty sure that it had to of crossed both Machida's and Anderson's minds at some point that they may have to man up and fight their own training partners or close friends in the sport.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: A Potential Major Problem   A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 11:56 am

I don't see what the problem is with friends fighting. I don't get it. Is this a sport or not to these guys? Nobody should have a problem playing against their friend in a sport. I understand not wanting to train with the guy your fighting, that I get, you don't want your opponent knowing your gameplan.

If they're saying they don't want to hurt their friend, that's really stupid to me because they train together so your hitting your friend in the face for free everyday already you dumbass why not get paid for it
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: A Potential Major Problem   A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 12:38 pm

You know in hindsight, Magic and Isiah Thomas should have sat out those Finals games the Lakers and Pistons played against eachother... That was the beginning of the end of the friendship! A kiss at center court has turned into ugly, slanderous remarks and deep felt hatered some 20 years later.

My God if you think about it, if the Giants (Yeah right) and the Colts were to go to the Superbowl, they would just have to call the game off because blood is thicker than any friendship you know... Those Williams sisters must really hate eachother for actually stepping on the court all those times to face eachother. Imagine the silence in that house at family gatherings...
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: A Potential Major Problem   A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 2:42 pm

1)This is obviously not about Lyoto being scared. It is as obvious as it can be. So the pussy label is bunk.

2)MMA and boxing is different from other sports, and on a different planet then other businesses. These guys are punching each other in the face, that is the intent, this is not footbal where the intent is to score touchdowns, the gameplan in this sport is to punch the other guy in the face, to kick him in the head. Getting KO'd is a very real possibility. So I don't think these comparisons to other sports(or to non athletic businesses) are relevant.

Yes it's a business, but these guys are not asking to be paid for the fights that they don't want. They are saying, "I'll take less to fight someone else", and if they are in business for themselves then they have every right to say it. If they are willing to take less, it is their business.

This board is a bunch of strangers telling two friends to fight each other, and then get pissed when the guys say no.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: A Potential Major Problem   A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 4:27 pm

When I say scared I'm implying he is scared to hurt his friend/friendship or he is scared of a former training partner exploiting his style against him in some way. But why shouldn't MMA fans want to see great match ups. Do fans of the sport really sit around and say 'gee, I don't want to see two great fighters have a match because they are such good friends and all'? It degrades the potential of the sport when fighters start listing the people they will refuse to have a match with in the future.
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

PostSubject: Re: A Potential Major Problem   A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 4:33 pm

I would be really with you GDP if Anderson fought at 205 and wasnt the MW champ... why is this fight that necessary? Shit GSP is fighting Hardy for Christ sake .. if you want a mega fight, start asking for GSP vs Silva.. they arnt friends nor are they training partners .. YAY!
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: A Potential Major Problem   A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 4:42 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
GolbeZ wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:
If Machida is scared to defend his title against Silva or Rogerio he should be stripped flat out.

wouldnt that just give you a boner to beat off too for at least a month GDP...

I am getting so confused on this topic/ the people responding to it .. Spider doesn't want to fight Machida for the LHW title either so who gives a shit .. Stop bringing up Machida vs Spider .. it has no merit to the topic: being that BOTH fucking fighters dont want to fight, but yeah only Machida is scared of course ... "omg you both dont want to fight eachother?!! than I am stripping one of you the belt!!!".. makes sense, good job, and good logic ..

and Little Nog isnt going to make it to a title shot so who cares ..

cheese and whine.

So you're saying you think about me fapping? This isn't that kind of forum.

If a champ is scared of being exposed by top competition in the division because they are his old training partners and might know his weaknesses or because he is scared he might hurt his friend/friendship then they have no place being champ. If the camp refuses to defend his belt against top competition he shouldn't have the right to defend it against lesser fighters. What kind of pussy says 'well, I'm just gonna fight the people ranked below the top five because I'm friends with the other guys'? Is that what a champ would say? Fake champs dodge contenders. And as far as contenders dodging champs, why bother fighting if you don't want to be the best.

Machida immediatly accepted a rematch with Rua...and he's afraid of top competition?

Also, how come you keep ignoring that Anderson Silva refuses to fight Lyoto as well? I think Machida will accept a fight with Lil Nog if Nog wanted the fight, regardless of what he said. He was just saying he would not fight his team, like all fighters do but the fact that Nog would fight Machida but Anderson would not shows they Machida-Anderson are more than just teammates, they are pretty good friends. The fight will never happen but Machida will fight any LHW but Anderson is not a LHW now is he? He's had 2 fights a LHW in the UFC and has made it clear that the division belongs to Lyoto.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: A Potential Major Problem   A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 5:01 pm

Anyone know the history of friends or teammates competing against each other, is it really so taboo? Maturity is the biggest hurdle I could think of in such a scenario.

I would be impressed if Machida was the kind of guy who would welcome a match with a friend who was a top fighter, even initiate it. Maybe that's just my character. I would feel like it would be the more honorable thing to do. If there are two or three legit contenders on the radar and one is my friend, someone who I worked and bleed with in attempting to reach a common goal, that's who I want to have the opportunity. If he doesn't want it, I scratch my head and say wtf?

With Silva already being a champ who, like GSP, has cleared out his division in a big way, he has less incentive to be champ in another division, even if it's contradictory to his desire to fight in heavier divisions. Big picture wise though, it is arguable that he is the # 1, 2, or 3 LHW in the world, my opinion anyways. I'm a big fan of the best vs. the best. Anderson talks of moving up, I don't think he can move up, win, clown a recent champ at that, and stay level in his standing among the other fighters in the division.

With GSP, I would rather put him in with, at the very least one established fighter, at MW before Silva.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: A Potential Major Problem   A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 5:12 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:
GolbeZ wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:
If Machida is scared to defend his title against Silva or Rogerio he should be stripped flat out.

wouldnt that just give you a boner to beat off too for at least a month GDP...

I am getting so confused on this topic/ the people responding to it .. Spider doesn't want to fight Machida for the LHW title either so who gives a shit .. Stop bringing up Machida vs Spider .. it has no merit to the topic: being that BOTH fucking fighters dont want to fight, but yeah only Machida is scared of course ... "omg you both dont want to fight eachother?!! than I am stripping one of you the belt!!!".. makes sense, good job, and good logic ..

and Little Nog isnt going to make it to a title shot so who cares ..

cheese and whine.

So you're saying you think about me fapping? This isn't that kind of forum.

If a champ is scared of being exposed by top competition in the division because they are his old training partners and might know his weaknesses or because he is scared he might hurt his friend/friendship then they have no place being champ. If the camp refuses to defend his belt against top competition he shouldn't have the right to defend it against lesser fighters. What kind of pussy says 'well, I'm just gonna fight the people ranked below the top five because I'm friends with the other guys'? Is that what a champ would say? Fake champs dodge contenders. And as far as contenders dodging champs, why bother fighting if you don't want to be the best.

Machida immediatly accepted a rematch with Rua...and he's afraid of top competition?

Also, how come you keep ignoring that Anderson Silva refuses to fight Lyoto as well? I think Machida will accept a fight with Lil Nog if Nog wanted the fight, regardless of what he said. He was just saying he would not fight his team, like all fighters do but the fact that Nog would fight Machida but Anderson would not shows they Machida-Anderson are more than just teammates, they are pretty good friends. The fight will never happen but Machida will fight any LHW but Anderson is not a LHW now is he? He's had 2 fights a LHW in the UFC and has made it clear that the division belongs to Lyoto.

Did Machida really have a choice in accepting that rematch. How terrible would that of looked, losing the fight while retaining the title in a awful decision, then refusing a rematch. He had no choice.

If a guy doesn't want to be champ in a division he should stay out of it. It's a waste of time if your goal isn't to attain the championship. The team stuff is illogical. I remember wrestling tournaments when I was young. If two from our team made it to finals that was success. Friends were man enough to be friends in the end, and we were teenagers, immature as it gets. Never once had an issue when I matched with teammates/friends. Excuse me if I think they are being lame with this bfff junk. That's not how I'm wired at all.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: A Potential Major Problem   A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 6:14 pm

captain organic wrote:
1)This is obviously not about Lyoto being scared. It is as obvious as it can be. So the pussy label is bunk.

2)MMA and boxing is different from other sports, and on a different planet then other businesses. These guys are punching each other in the face, that is the intent, this is not footbal where the intent is to score touchdowns, the gameplan in this sport is to punch the other guy in the face, to kick him in the head. Getting KO'd is a very real possibility. So I don't think these comparisons to other sports(or to non athletic businesses) are relevant.

Yes it's a business, but these guys are not asking to be paid for the fights that they don't want. They are saying, "I'll take less to fight someone else", and if they are in business for themselves then they have every right to say it. If they are willing to take less, it is their business.

This board is a bunch of strangers telling two friends to fight each other, and then get pissed when the guys say no.

Cappy, you're making more out of it than necessary. It is a job. Your job is to kick the shit out of your opponent. Your opponent's job is the same. If your closest friend chooses the same profession, that is too fucking bad. When you are a slappy working your way up, you can dodge your buddy. But when you are holding the biggest belt on the planet, you need to be fighting the top contenders, regardless of affiliation. The fans and Dana aren't going to accept a fight against Gump simply because others have been knocked off and friends don't want to fight eachother.

Have none of us ever wrestled friends for the varsity spot on the wrestling team? Have none of us ever fought a good friend in the final of a TKD tourney? Have none of us ever gone 4 rounds with a friend for the top spot in our local club to see who represented in the Silver or Golden Gloves tourney's? I have to all three of the above... Difference here is there's serious financial and status benefits to go with. Funny listening to people whine about hurting a friends feelings... Pretty pathetic really.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: A Potential Major Problem   A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 6:32 pm

LTFG is dead on! I hadn't thought about it, because it has been a long time, but in Junior High and High School, I was constantly having to fight one of my best friends and his sister who I had the hots for! I didn't hold back on him or her and they didn't do it for me either. When the sparring gloves and pads came off it was like "Deany, that was a nasty kick you threw there" or "Damn Andy, you got a nasty combo in on me there in the end" or "What the fuck was that? You kick like my Grandma." But it was over and we still hung out and went to movies, birthday parties, etc. This is all Bullshit and that needs to end.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: A Potential Major Problem   A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 7:41 pm

I again point to the fact that we are a bunch of internet fans whose greatest accomplishment is at best college wrestler, yet we feel the desire to call 2 of the best p4p guys in the world "pussy's" "scared" or "pathetic" because they don't want to match up with their friends in the cage.

And there is a huge gap between HS wrestling, or amateur boxing, and UFC championship level MMA.

I'd like to see these fights too, and yes there suddenly seems to be alot of guys at the top of these division's who don't want to fight each other, and yes it does pose a problem, but if 2 guys are friends and they don't want to fight then who am I to talk shit.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: A Potential Major Problem   A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Don't sell yourself short dude. Your the driving force behind this sport. Your a fan.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: A Potential Major Problem   A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 10:25 pm

These guys share intimate training camps with eachother, knowing weaknesses and things no one else could know.

This isn't about friends not fighting. This is more like an assistant coach or back up player going over, coaching or playing for a rival team for a game, then rejoining the original team.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: A Potential Major Problem   A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 02, 2009 10:27 pm

man, reading back through this thread is really embarrassing for the forum. Really.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Potential Major Problem   A Potential Major Problem - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

A Potential Major Problem
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2