Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

History of Mikey Burnett

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

History of Mikey Burnett Empty
PostSubject: History of Mikey Burnett   History of Mikey Burnett EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 8:30 pm

Mikey Burnett was another Lions Den fighter that I got a chance too know, but the reason I really wanted to talk about him is because he was one of the best but least well known Lions Den fighters.

He stopped fighting in MMA after the original UfC folded. However he had a very impressive 5-2 record.

Beat Todd Justice and Tony Hays and then lost to Kevin Nix under an old Oklahoma Federation, then went to Pancrase and heel hooked Mike Hipp in 30 seconds. Then joined the Lions Den.

Then in one of the best striking wars of the early UFC history Mikey beat Brazilian Eugenio Tadeu at UFC 16 just under the 10 minute mark knocking out Tadeu with sick strikes. Tadeu had a loss to Walid Ismail and a very good outing with Renzo Gracie. This fight featured more bombs being exchanged than any other Lightweight fight at that time. here is this fight
http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Mikey_Burnett_vs_Eugenio_Tadeu_UFC_16?vid=10005832

Mikey had to drop out of the tournament after his fight though. This set up a match with.........

Pat Miletich at UFC Brazil Brazil, this fight was the first fight for the then Lightweight know UFC Welterweight Title. Mikey almost subbed him with a guillotine sprawl in the first 20 seconds. Scored takedown early and sprawled Miletich through out the fight. Controlled Miletich in the clinch as well. He sprawled Miletich into standing guillotine's all night.
Miletich looks like hes going to get a takedown but Burnett goes for a kimura and flips him at same time, then gets into guard. 12 minute mark Burnetts landing good knees .
30 seconds left in the fight and Big John takes a bullshit point away for a low blow knee when they were both trading knees.
First Overtime Mikey gets a takedown. doesnt dominate but clearly got the better of Miletich on the ground in his guard.
2nd Overtime Miletich throws leg kick and Burnett drops him with a straight right hand and leg takedown gets into guard. Burnett stands up Miletich shoots and burnett sprawl miletich easily just throws Miletich away in mid shoot. Lands knees and right hands. one minute left Barnett sprawls Miletich into big standing knees. Burnett goes for guillotine from clinch with 12 seconds left. Fight is over
Burnett had takedown first round, takedown first overtime, 2nd overtime mikey get knockdown
Miletich has no takedowns and no knockdowns.

Miletich wins. Crowd boo's, still the one of the worst and most controversial decisions in UFC history.
here is the fight you make your decisions
http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Mikey_Burnett_vs_Pat_Miletich_UFC_Brazil?vid=10005654&tid=100&tab=0

After this fight Mikey moved on and beat Towsend Saunders impressively at UFC 18, but personal problems made him leave the sport. He really was and is one of the best Welterweights from the old era of UFC and MMA. There have been rumors trough out the year that him and Miletich will sign with StrikeForce and fight.
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: History of Mikey Burnett   History of Mikey Burnett EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 8:48 pm

I sparred with Mikey and his brother a few times. He seems like a good guy but maybe had some issues at the time
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: History of Mikey Burnett   History of Mikey Burnett EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 9:10 pm

ya he was a nice guy when I knew him as well during the time period he fought Miletich, he just ha to work some personal demons out IMO
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: History of Mikey Burnett   History of Mikey Burnett EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 10:28 pm

ay body check out the miletich fight? intereseted inyalls opinion
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: History of Mikey Burnett   History of Mikey Burnett EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 10:43 pm

Aw yes, Mikey Burnett. People remember him more for being on TUF then what he did in the late nineties.

As for Miletich vs Burnett of course Pat lost. This fight actually has been brought up numerous times recently with the decision of Shogun vs Machida just happening.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: History of Mikey Burnett   History of Mikey Burnett EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 10:49 pm

Have any Guy Mezgar stories Birdofthad?
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: History of Mikey Burnett   History of Mikey Burnett EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 10:53 pm

ya I forgot Mikey was on Tuf, I never really watched TUF much, but ya I agree he beat Miletich, ya Guy is actually the main Lions Denner that I knew and saw all the time, the original Dallas Lions den gym was on the first floor of this Plaza my dads law firm was on the third floor so they would come to him to do their contracts and he ended up doing all their paper work during the early UFC and Pancraase days and I started going to the gym by the time I was 9
Speaking of bad decision Guy got screwed vs Sakuraba.

Guy was the opposite of what you would expect a fighter to be, he was the nicest guy in the room type of person.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

PostSubject: Re: History of Mikey Burnett   History of Mikey Burnett EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 11:07 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
ya I forgot Mikey was on Tuf, I never really watched TUF much, but ya I agree he beat Miletich, ya Guy is actually the main Lions Denner that I knew and saw all the time, the original Dallas Lions den gym was on the first floor of this Plaza my dads law firm was on the third floor so they would come to him to do their contracts and he ended up doing all their paper work during the early UFC and Pancraase days and I started going to the gym by the time I was 9
Speaking of bad decision Guy got screwed vs Sakuraba.

Guy was the opposite of what you would expect a fighter to be, he was the nicest guy in the room type of person.

Yes, one of the biggest bull shit fights of all time. Mezger is still bitter about it today. You could tell by the tone of his voice when someone brings up Japanese MMA to him.

Guy's true calling is as an announcer I think. He is one of the best color commentators in MMA. Him and Michael Schiavello are just a perfect team.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: History of Mikey Burnett   History of Mikey Burnett EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 11:13 pm

Ya it really was It still pisses the shit out of me and I think Guy because people dont realize if Guy gets the decision he earned HE IS FIGHTING ROYCE GRACIE and probably would have beaten him.

He should have got that chance just pisses me off to high heaven when really thinking back on that fight.

See Im glad you like him, I havent gotten too see him commentating on the Dream fights but I am glad he is doing good and can still be a part of the sport. I havent seen him in a year or so, he also is a key part in HD Net Sports
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: History of Mikey Burnett   History of Mikey Burnett EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 11:15 pm

some insider info on that fight as well, some blame ken for saying fuck this and walking out of the ring, but most dont realize that ken knew he was likely going to get jobbed when they drew Sakuraba, that draw just showed him no matter what Guy did he was going to lose that fight
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

PostSubject: Re: History of Mikey Burnett   History of Mikey Burnett EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 11:25 pm

Although Sakuraba is a legend in the sport there has always be some shady incidents surrounding his career. Like Rampage being asked by Pride to throw his fight with Saku. Pride higher ups wanted Saku to be successful and a face of Pride at all costs.

Mezgar fight with Arona is another fight that I think Guy won.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: History of Mikey Burnett   History of Mikey Burnett EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 11:40 pm

ya people have too take Pride with a grain of salt because i wonder how many of those fights were on the level
Guy vs Ricardo Arona was another one I think was fixed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: History of Mikey Burnett   History of Mikey Burnett Empty

Back to top Go down

History of Mikey Burnett
Page 1 of 1