Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion Empty
PostSubject: Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion   Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 2:08 am

Mikey Burnett was the last member of the original Lions Den, the Den that went through Ken Shamrocks hell test that seemed more like punishment than tryouts. If I havent posted the old tryout, tell me and I will its nuts what you had to do.

Burnett was the last one to go through with it and pass, Shamrock caught flack and changed tryouts. Burnett became instant buddies with everyone especially Jerry Bohlander and Pete Williams. Mikey was the smallest of the Den if I remember right. Boy was he scrappy and tough.

He is one of the most underrated fighters all time in my opinion because his career was so short. Everyone just remembers him for running into a wall on TUF.

4-20- 1996 He fought his MMA debut in a Oklahoma tournament. He beat Todd Justice by decision, and submitted Tony Hayes in the first to earn a spot in the finals. Kevin Nix submitted Mikey, and retired with a 3-0 record. Mikey is 2-1

Mikey then goes to Pancrase at the World Pankration Championships show. Mikey heel hooks Mike Hipp in 30 seconds, it is Hipp's only fight professionally. Mikey is 3-1

Mikey then enters the UFC inagural Lightweight Tournament at UFC 16. Mikey faces Eugenio Tadeu in the first round. It is one of the best early striking fights of the UFC, they go from striking to ground to striking again, it had the fiercest exchanges of any 170 (though just starting) fight for a long time. Mikey knocks out Tadeu around 10 minutes into it with some nice combinations. Mikey drops out of the tournament though and Pat Miletich wins it in 2 boring fights honestly. This sets up .....

UFC 17.5 Brazil, Mikey is facing Pat Miletich for the first UFC Lightweight Title. This is the best match up of Lightweights possible. In a pretty entertaining first round Mikey is able to control the standup and take Miletich down, he is active with Miletich being active as well. They are stood up, Burnett knocks Miletich down and rides out the round. Overtime see's Mikey score a knockdown and takedown of Miletich in the 3 minutes. The next Overtime see's another Burnett takedown. Judges have it Miletich, Burnett. Miletich. HOW????? I WILL NEVER KNOW. One of the worst UFC decisions ever period. Mikey had 5 takedowns at the worst and 2 knockdown of Miletich, Pat had no takedowns, no knockdowns.

Miletich gets the title, Mikey got screwed. I didnt know Mikey very well but I know this moment hurt him. If he gets the right decision I say he goes on the same run Miletich did if not even better. Instead Burnett was pissed and said he wanted Miletich or nothing. He got offered Townsend Saunders, one of the best 170 fighters UFC had, in Saunders MMA debut he had a 15 minute decision loss to Miletich at UFC 16.

Mikey Burnett was the underdog going in somehow and looked like Superman destroying Saunders in a very one sided decision. Mikey Burnett's record is 5-2.

The Miletich fight never happens, Mikey Burnett wanted it bad, he refused to fight again unless it was against Pat Miletich.

He never fought in a professional MMA match again.

This guy really could have gone down different in the MMA history if he got the decision he earned. The most underrated and unknown Lions Denner that deserves to be known by far.

Last edited by Birdofthad on Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion   Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 2:14 am

Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion   Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 2:17 am

guys if you havent seen Miletich Burnett fight watch it
its classic and shows how good Burnett was

20 seconds into the fight Mikey sprawl guillotines Miletich

that sums up the whole fight as far as how it was going to go for Miletich, I still dont know how he got the desicion
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion   Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 2:24 am

whats yalls opinion on the Miletich fight?
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion   Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 11:14 pm

no one has an opinion on the Burnett vs Miletich fight??????

wow used to be one of the most highly debated fights of UFC history

this saddens me Mad
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion   Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 11:20 pm

I havent seen the fight in a long time and will watch it tommorrow and tell u what i think Bird.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion   Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 11:21 pm

thanks timmy that alone deserves a point!

remember what your initial thoughts on the fight was/?
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion   Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 11:22 pm

seems like I remeber it being close and not really knowing who Mikey was to much.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion   Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 11:27 pm

timthebim wrote:
seems like I remeber it being close and not really knowing who Mikey was to much.

That makes sense

I will admit I handt watched the fight in a while when I wrote this then afterward went back and rewatched last night

I gave Mikey credit in the OP for a takedown when Miletich actually pulled guard

Mainly cause Mikey was active but pretty innefective in Miletichs guard. Still other than that all Miletich controlled was the short pulling battle. If short pulling isnt allowed in this fight Mikey has more takedowns and is able to get seperation for more knees and punches, he landed good knees in the clinch still ended up with 4 or 5 takedowns and caught a leg and landed a punch knockdown in overtime. Still pisses me off thinking about that fight.

Miletich was effective in his guard but still didnt come close to doing enough to win IMO
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion   Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 11:31 pm

Yeah when I get home from work 2morrow I will rewatch it and let u know what I think.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion   Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 8:39 pm

bump for he timster
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion   Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 8:46 pm

I remember him having a huge head. I always liked the Lions Den fighters back in the day. I can tell I didn't like them as much as you bird. Whole lot of passion. I think I might educate some of the Cung doubters witha different fight of his every day. This way people can see some of the best Judo throws and strikes ever!
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion   Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 9:03 pm

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
I remember him having a huge head. I always liked the Lions Den fighters back in the day. I can tell I didn't like them as much as you bird. Whole lot of passion. I think I might educate some of the Cung doubters witha different fight of his every day. This way people can see some of the best Judo throws and strikes ever!

glad you enjoyed

you definately should
nobody knows everything I learn something new from these forums everyday so I would enjoy it for 1

Ya I only really have Pete Williams, Alex Andros, Telligman, and Vernon White left to profle as far as the Den goes
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion   Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 9:21 pm

Birdofthad wrote:

glad you enjoyed

you definately should
nobody knows everything I learn something new from these forums everyday so I would enjoy it for 1

Ya I only really have Pete Williams, Alex Andros, Telligman, and Vernon White left to profle as far as the Den goes
I think Pete Williams got my first Holy shit! That look on Colemans face was priceless as he fell to the mat.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion   Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 9:22 pm

Birdofthad wrote:

glad you enjoyed

you definately should

I think Pete Williams got my first Holy shit! That look on Colemans face was priceless as he fell to the mat.

That fight was fucking classic, Pete was supposed to be fighting Dan Severn if I remember right, and Severn dropped out, Coleman stepped in

I knew Pete really well during that fight and "Holy Shit" is the only way to sum that fight up

or atleast the kick

it was classic
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion   Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion Empty

Back to top Go down

Mikey Burnett : The Last Lion
Page 1 of 1