Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot

Go down 
+6
throwdownfight1
bobbitt15
Andrew the Raider King
jimbojones1950
MMAEYES
OU
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot Empty
PostSubject: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 10:22 am

http://mmajunkie.com/news/27259/dan-henderson-wants-to-wait-for-title-shot-says-ufc-prez.mma
Former Strikeforce light-heavyweight champion Dan Henderson has put himself in limbo, according to UFC president Dana White.

"Dan Henderson's in a position right now where it looks like he wants to wait for Jon Jones," White said today.

Earlier this month, White said Henderson (29-8 MMA, 5-2 UFC) turned down a fight with Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at UFC on FUEL 2.

Henderson soon after defended his decision in an interview with Clinch Gear Radio, saying he thought it was undecided whether he or Rashad Evans would get the first crack at champ Jon Jones and that he didn't think a fight with Nogueira was interesting for the fans.

Henderson also clarified that he would have taken the fight had it been three rounds instead of the five-round length currently in place for headlining fights.

Of course, that was before Evans secured a title shot by beating Phil Davis at this past Saturday's UFC on FOX 2.

Many speculated Henderson might have raised the ire of White by turning down the fight against Nogueira. But to hear the UFC president, it's the fighter's choice to wait.

In his most recent performance, Henderson served up an instant classic against Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC 139, fighting five rounds of grueling back-and-forth action before claiming a unanimous decision. It was his first UFC bout after two years in Strikeforce, where victories over Renato "Babalu" Sobral, Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante and Fedor Emelianenko made him a champ and a hot commodity.

Jones and Evans are expected to fight at UFC 145, which takes place April 21 in Atlanta. That means a late summer or fall return could be in the cards for Henderson.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 10:32 am

Bad and gay. Hendo should just fight the Rampage-Bader winner.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 10:40 am

He earned the right to wait. Whatever he wants to do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 10:50 am

Is an almost 1 year wait at his age a good idea though? he's on fire and should keep the momentum.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 10:52 am

freakzilla wrote:
Is an almost 1 year wait at his age a good idea though? he's on fire and should keep the momentum.
Well he has put in a ton of work to get in position to challenge for a UFC title again. How many fights does he have left in him? I have no problem with him waiting around at this point in his career. I'm not concern about layoff, Hendo is as professional as they come. I have no issue with this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 10:54 am

No problem with this Hendo's earned it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 10:58 am

I'm not arguing that he hasn't earnt it. He's actually done more than Rashad to earn it. I'm just saying that hopefully the layoff doesn't effect him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 11:01 am

freakzilla wrote:
I'm not arguing that he hasn't earnt it. He's actually done more than Rashad to earn it. I'm just saying that hopefully the layoff doesn't effect him.

Dan's at the age where he should only be focusing on big fights, and with Bones activity it's not like he'll have to wait long.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 11:03 am

Ali wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

Dan's at the age where he should only be focusing on big fights, and with Bones activity it's not like he'll have to wait long.

So you're completely counting out Rashad?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 11:05 am

freakzilla wrote:
Ali wrote:
freakzilla wrote:

So you're completely counting out Rashad?

Yes, I just envision a stanky leg dance coming.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 11:11 am

I don't care about the layoff I just don't want to wait to see the H-bomb landed on somebody for that long lol. But yeah he deserves to wait if he wants
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 11:16 am

I think Rashad is gonna do better than most think. I think beating Phil like Rashad did was more impressive than most are giving him credit for. I think Rashads mmawrestling makes him a legit threat to Jones.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 11:21 am

MMAEYES wrote:
I think Rashad is gonna do better than most think. I think beating Phil like Rashad did was more impressive than most are giving him credit for. I think Rashads mmawrestling makes him a legit threat to Jones.

I agree. Actually I guarantee that Rashad wins the first round.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 11:27 am

Rashad's actual chance of winning the fight. Almost 0.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 11:34 am

OU wrote:
Rashad's actual chance of winning the fight. Almost 0.

Come on man!!! I'm not saying Rashad is a lock or anything but his chances are better than that dude.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 11:44 am

Ok, 5%.
Back to top Go down
jimbojones1950
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 12:15 pm

Im not saying I think Evans will win, but one thing people have to consider is that he has sparred with Jones, knows his strengths and weaknesses (something no one he has fought knows). Personally, I've been competing my entire life and have seen guys lose to someone from their own team or gym, who they are better then, simply because the other person knows all their weaknesses and how to beat them. That factor can't be ignored. With that said, I still think Jones will win, but I agree with MMAEYES that this will be closer then people think (unless of course Jones has strengthened his weaknesses after Evans' departure from the gym).
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 12:16 pm

I just don't understand the wait of a late summer/early fall. Assuming the winner of the mid April fight s healthy, it should be scheduled for the 7th of July. That will give the winner 9 days off and two long months to train and a week for weight cut. I mean gee, how much time does a fighter need off when they make that much money at their current status?
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 12:17 pm

Rashad has nothing for Jones. He has no chance

I wonder if Hendo would've taken the Lil Nog fight if it was offered now.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 12:19 pm

Wouldn't Jones also have those same advantages? He knows Rashad's weak spots and what worked on him in practice. Bones has been far more active since the split and it's safe to assume his game has evolved further since then, then Evans.
One thing that won't change is the physical differences. Rashad is one of the shorter LHWs out there. Jones will have almost 10 inches of reach in this fight.
Back to top Go down
jimbojones1950
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 12:25 pm

OU wrote:
Wouldn't Jones also have those same advantages? He knows Rashad's weak spots and what worked on him in practice. Bones has been far more active since the split and it's safe to assume his game has evolved further since then, then Evans.
One thing that won't change is the physical differences. Rashad is one of the shorter LHWs out there. Jones will have almost 10 inches of reach in this fight.

It depends. Usually, the better guy in the gym is at a disadvantage in that kind of a situation, if the two athletes are close in skill. The reason is because the guy who is slightly lower in the gym knows what the better guy is successful against him with and what he's not, giving him an opportunity to train for the latter, whereas the better guy is going to come in and do the same thing he has had lots of success with in the gym, because in his mind, it will work and always has. This is not a set rule by any stretch, but just gives the lower level guy a better chance then people think, or the ability to put up a competitive match, when most think it will be a blowout. However, Evans claims to have been putting beatings on Jones when they trained, which imo, would give Jones the training advantage i was talking about. Personally, I think Evans will be competitive for a couple rounds and then Jones will pour it on and finish him. Jones is just too good and too physically gifted imo.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 12:31 pm

Jones also made the claims of owning Evans in training. During the initial pissing contest when the beef started. Who knows how it really went down.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 3:44 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:

Didn't Hendo already decline Lil Nog recently ?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 3:52 pm

Ali wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:

It was before Rashad fought Davis, now Rashad not only has that win but he is already scheduled for his title shot. The situation has changed.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 9:49 pm

Ali wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:

Yeah when there was a chance he might get first crack. Now Evans has the shot, why not try to avenge the L he has on his record in the meantime. Its a hard fight to see the new and improved Hendo losing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot   Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot Empty

Back to top Go down

Dan Henderson wants to wait for title shot
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next