Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.

Go down 
+7
acccardinal12
timthebim
Farmer1906
KingsOwn19
Ludo
throwdownfight1
Wolfgangsta
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  Empty
PostSubject: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:37 am

A fourth fight has to happen soon.

Maynard hands Edgar his first and only loss. Edgar wins the title. Maynard and Edgar earn a draw in a super close, super exciting and competitive fight where arguments have been made either way. Edgar then hands Maynard his first and only career loss.

I know there is a long line of guys who want title shots, but in the last year Dunham, Gulliard, Pettis, Miller and Florian went away from immediate contention, so now the line is much shorter. The log jam is clear. Bendo and Guida produces a contender. Melendez is a contender. Then it is wide open.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:46 am

I would pay to see a 4th fight. This rivalry needs a decisive outcome. 1-1-1 leaves unfinished business.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:47 am

imagine if it were 1 1 2 with another draw lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:54 am

Lol. I thought we were going to get a draw yesterday after the 3rd had finished.
Back to top Go down
throwdownfight1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Matt Hughes,Tito Ortiz,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 8:20 pm

dana mentioned he was not interested in a 4rth fight no matter the outcome
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 9:57 pm

Apparently according to Helwani two of the three judges scored round 1 10-9 for Maynard this time around. So a draw wasn't on the way.

It's pretty much the perfect ending to the fight really. Especially with how it started off more or less identical to the second fight. First round had Edgar getting blasted with a big shot and being dropped, then chased around while reeling. Then Edgar comes back to win the second round, the third round is much closer to even. Edgar not only beating Gray, but knocking him out really helps people to forget that image of "decisoner" as I've heard him labeled in other places. I personally don't care if he finishes fights, the guy is exciting, and he has probably the most heart and determination in the game, along with super hero like cardio and an intriguing style.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:17 pm

Edgar actually did more in the first round this time around than last time, especially in the eyes of MMA judges..to some judges it has to be "no offense, no nothing, along with a beatdown" to warrant a 10-8 round. I feel a 10-8 round should be used when a fighter did so much in a round that only gaining a one point edge is not just...Maynards 1st round in both fights are clear 10-8's even though Edgar may have landed a jab and attempted a few takedowns in this recent first round.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:20 pm

Anyone who didn't give round 1 to Maynard 10-8 is retarded.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:41 pm

The only problem with giving Maynard a 10-8 is that Edgar landed some big blows too. If that is a 10-8 then the fight before was 10-7 in round 1.

I think Maynard has to knock off2-3 big names before he gets another shot.

Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:45 pm

I could see a 4th fight if Maynard lost on a decision but he was stopped. That kinda changes it for me.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 11:23 pm

The last fight was more of a 10-8 round and that is all it boils down to. Maynard whooped him in both of the last two 1st rounds. He won't get another shot unless he beats atleast 3 more people and there isn't another guy to fight Edgar at that time. I wouldn't be upset if they fought again for the title, or to finish off the grudge with a 2nd win.

I can't think of a better rivalry right now in MMA.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 11:41 pm

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
The last fight was more of a 10-8 round and that is all it boils down to. Maynard whooped him in both of the last two 1st rounds. He won't get another shot unless he beats atleast 3 more people and there isn't another guy to fight Edgar at that time. I wouldn't be upset if they fought again for the title, or to finish off the grudge with a 2nd win.

Chael vs Anderson?
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 11:47 pm

A 4th fight def needs to happen at some point. 1-1-1 with 2 true classics warrants a 4th fight, plain and simple. I actually do not even see a strong argument against it.

Last edited by captain organic on Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 11:47 pm

timthebim wrote:

Chael vs Anderson?

Gotta admit I would rather see Chael vs Anderson, but you cannot deny the great fights and the 1-1-1 record that Maynard and Frankie have. Besides Tim, that isn't fair because Sonnen is just too damn good right now. I would watch him go to Rally's and eat just to see what he says. I swear I would.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 11:48 pm

JINX! You owe me a coke Captain!
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 11:55 pm

timthebim wrote:

Chael vs Anderson?

Gotta admit I would rather see Chael vs Anderson, but you cannot deny the great fights and the 1-1-1 record that Maynard and Frankie have. Besides Tim, that isn't fair because Sonnen is just too damn good right now. I would watch him go to Rally's and eat just to see what he says. I swear I would.

I just was really asking the question. I think Anderson and Chael is the biggest right now but Frankie and Gray is right up there.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 12:02 am

timthebim wrote:
timthebim wrote:

Chael vs Anderson?

I just was really asking the question. I think Anderson and Chael is the biggest right now but Frankie and Gray is right up there.

Both are great rivalries right now. I just think it's for two different reasons. Fans would rather see Silva and Sonnen fight much more though. That's a no-BRAINER. lol
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 12:03 am

Agreed. I maybe in the minority but i think its time for both Gray and Frankie to move on from each other.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 9:34 am

captain organic wrote:
A 4th fight def needs to happen at some point. 1-1-1 with 2 true classics warrants a 4th fight, plain and simple. I actually do not even see a strong argument against it.

THIS. I mean if Maynard starts going on a losing streak then of course they won't fight again but if he wins a couple big fights while Frankie is defending his belt then it has to happen. I don't understand the thinking that they shouldn't fight again just cause they faught three times already. If they are the top two guys then they need to fight again. I would understand if their fights were boring but when two fighters but on a good show and they are close in ranking it shouldn't matter if or how many times they've faught before imo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 9:45 am

I would buy the PPV again tomorrow if they fought. I wouldn't even care about the rest of the card.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 12:46 pm

The next time they fight it will be something like a #1 contenders match I think. I don't see Frankie holding onto the belt much longer
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 3:23 am

There might not be a fourth, as soon as Frankie loses that title everyone will urge him to drop to Featherweight.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 3:27 am

Melendez and Bendo are the only LW's with chances at beating him. I think he can win both fights.
Back to top Go down
cheekynffc
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : froch, hatton, benn, duran, hagler, ponce de leon

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 3:33 am

you could argue it is the best rivalry in the brief history of MMA.

i can't think of any other rivalry where after 3 fights you're no closer to knowing who would win a fourth fight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 3:35 am

A rivalry for me needs a bit of animosity, I still say Wandi vs. Rampage is the best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.    Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Maynard vs Edgar : The best modern rivalry in MMA.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next