Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Best Japanese fighter ever?

Go down 
+9
acccardinal12
KingsOwn19
boomer sooner
MMAEYES
captain organic
Ludo
killerofchicken
GDPofDRC
OU
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Sakuraba
Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 Vote_lcap82%Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 82% [ 14 ]
Okami
Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 Vote_lcap12%Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 12% [ 2 ]
Aoki
Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 Vote_lcap6%Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
Gomi
Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Megumi Fujii
Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
other(specify)
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

AuthorMessage
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 3:38 pm

this is just Dana being Dana trying to hype up a fight tho... and bash everything NOT UFC

Last edited by killerofchicken on Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 3:40 pm

boomer sooner wrote:
But that's the point, Marquardt couldn't get through the division losing two of his last four to Okami and Sonnen. So he figured he had a better chance of getting through the WW division.

Rich couldn't get past Silva and he and the UFC knew it so they moved where he could potentially compete again.

You could meaningfully say the division [or spider] was too tough for those guys. I'm not bending anything, I completely agree with your explanation and believe it proves my point.
I'm all for the MW division is the weakest division in MMA. I'm with that. But I think your explanation of how or why some fighters moved weight classes is just incorrect. IMO Marquardt could have been granted a 2nd shot at Spider before he fell short vs 2 powerful wrestlers. More then anything being over powered by those wrestlers forced Marquardt to make the drop to WW.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 3:42 pm

killerofchicken wrote:
this is just Dana being Dana trying to hype up a fight tho...

I honestly think he was taking more of a jab at Fedor than Sakuraba, but screw that too
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 3:46 pm

MMAEYES wrote:
killerofchicken wrote:
this is just Dana being Dana trying to hype up a fight tho...

I honestly think he was taking more of a jab at Fedor than Sakuraba, but screw that too
He was both continuing to take shots at PRIDE and promoting his upcoming event. 2 of his favorite things to do.
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, since way back

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 3:53 pm

OU wrote:
boomer sooner wrote:
But that's the point, Marquardt couldn't get through the division losing two of his last four to Okami and Sonnen. So he figured he had a better chance of getting through the WW division.

Rich couldn't get past Silva and he and the UFC knew it so they moved where he could potentially compete again.

You could meaningfully say the division [or spider] was too tough for those guys. I'm not bending anything, I completely agree with your explanation and believe it proves my point.
I'm all for the MW division is the weakest division in MMA. I'm with that. But I think your explanation of how or why some fighters moved weight classes is just incorrect. IMO Marquardt could have been granted a 2nd shot at Spider before he fell short vs 2 powerful wrestlers. More then anything being over powered by those wrestlers forced Marquardt to make the drop to WW.

YES! Proof that the division was too tough for him. Did he do enough to earn his shot after Maia? Probably, but he couldn't get through two guys before Silva. The division was too tough for him.

And bending the truth would be saying Mousasi, Prangley and Shields left the division because they couldn't compete.

Three reasons why people dog this division:

1. Anderson has a strangle hold on it.
2. No star-power and the stars it had moved out [Hendo, Franklin]. You don't see non-title MW scraps headlining cards because of lack of star power the way you do with the HW and LHW divisions.
3. It doesn't have as long a run as a division, but if that were the litmus test, then you could never say that the LW division is deep either.

The division is solid, if not good.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 3:58 pm

Any answer other than Sakuraba is the wrong answer.

Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 3:59 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:

That's what I've been saying it's not even close.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 3:59 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:

There we go, back on subject. Sakuraba FTW!
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 4:01 pm

Maybe a better poll question would be, will Okami retire as the Japanese GOAT?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 4:05 pm

Japanese GOAT
Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 U99P200T1D226067F8DT20090315191629
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 4:06 pm

awww...

lol
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 4:09 pm

And where in the HELL is MASAKATSU FUNAKI! He could easily be #1 all time. Wins over a prime Bas Rutten, Frank and Ken Shamrock, and Guy Mezger. Not to mention several other legit guys.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 4:11 pm

boomer sooner wrote:
And where in the HELL is MASAKATSU FUNAKI! He could easily be #1 all time. Wins over a prime Bas Rutten, Frank and Ken Shamrock, and Guy Mezger. Not to mention several other legit guys.
Well there is a spot for other, but I don't see anyone giving it a click lol
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 4:12 pm

It would be hard to make a case against him if he beats Anderson Silva.
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 4:17 pm

OU wrote:
boomer sooner wrote:
Well there is a spot for other, but I don't see anyone giving it a click lol

The guy was damn tough and deserves to be on the list.

And a prime Okami takes out a prime Sakuraba. Love Sak, but found his fights with Belfort and Rampage to be a little fishy. 'Page just tried to body slam him the whole fight, never really going for the kill, and Belfort wouldn't fight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 4:28 pm

killerofchicken wrote:
freakzilla wrote:
killerofchicken wrote:
OU wrote:
killerofchicken wrote:
can we add a poll to this?
You think it's worth it?
yeah why not, besides, we don't have a current poll up

i wanna see how many side with this douche in my sig, lol

Killer doesn't get much good ideas so when he does we should encourage him by listening to them tongue

hey, at least i didn't make my own mma board Very Happy

Why are you bringing up old shit for Razz
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 4:32 pm

freakzilla wrote:
killerofchicken wrote:
freakzilla wrote:
killerofchicken wrote:
OU wrote:
killerofchicken wrote:
can we add a poll to this?
You think it's worth it?
yeah why not, besides, we don't have a current poll up

i wanna see how many side with this douche in my sig, lol

Killer doesn't get much good ideas so when he does we should encourage him by listening to them tongue

hey, at least i didn't make my own mma board Very Happy

Why are you bringing up old shit for Razz
LOL, says Mr Bumb a lot Very Happy
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 6:06 pm

I went with Saku. Aoki is second imo. If Okami wins the UFC MW title I would say he is the top guy. Right now he is just top 5 at best.
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 7:54 pm

I'm a sucker for Sakuraba.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 10:39 pm

Okami would beat Sakuraba but he's obviously the Japanese legend. A lot of names on that resume, even if most of them were losses
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 10:51 pm

the poll speaks for its self
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 12:46 am

Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 11:26 am

Yeah the better question would have been, Will Okami retire as the Japanese GOAT?
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 11:29 am

he very well could
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 11:32 am

The more I think about this question, the best fighter to come out of Japan is Okami. Saku had the most legendary career, but he is far from being the best fighter. Okami got my vote.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Japanese fighter ever?   Best Japanese fighter ever? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next