Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.

Go down 
+8
throwdownfight1
timthebim
Farmer1906
gomez1012
GDPofDRC
Birdofthad
killerofchicken
captain organic
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. Empty
PostSubject: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 4:46 pm

And Im wondering why they even did it.

Seems they were aware of GG policy. So at the time of the buyout did they expect to lose all those fighters? Judging by Dana's recent statements I gotta say yes. Sergei looks to be next out the door. Have to figure they never really wanted Fedor.

And Im pretty confident that Barnett will bail when he gets a chance. And Im sure he'd love to jump ship as the GP winner.

So not long at after the buyout, we will see many of the top hwy's who made the UFC vs Sf debate worthwhile, out in the FA market.

And once SF is gutted/merged, will Showtime still have interest? Or will they look to bring in one of the org's who will surely grow in the void.

Yeah they get some good matchups by snagging Diaz, Gil et el. But was that worth $40 mil?

This is all looking like a head scratcher to me. Dana has said he wanted no part of SF. Im thinking not everyone in the UFC brain trust is on the same page, and the result is some counter productive actions.

Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 4:51 pm

dude it's business as usual Wink
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 5:04 pm

so far the buyout looks stupid, it basically looks like zuffa paid 40 million for a couple of contracts as they do not really care about maintaining SF that is obvious.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 5:24 pm

It's been successful in creating a rift between fans of the sport, one much bigger than Pride vs UFC arguments from 2004.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 5:35 pm

i am less of a mma fan now than i was before the purchase.... and i have to admit when the purchase happened i saw it going a completely different route, nowhere like this
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 8:03 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
so far the buyout looks stupid, it basically looks like zuffa paid 40 million for a couple of contracts as they do not really care about maintaining SF that is obvious.

More like 40 million for Nick Diaz lol
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 8:43 pm

It will work out just fone. 90% of the top fighters in SF will end up int he UFC. The same thing happened with Pride. It didn't go as planned at all, but look at Rampage, Cro Cop, Big Nog, Lil Nog, Shogun, Wand, Hendo, Gomi, Kid, Coleman, Vitor, Herring, Hunt, etc...

Basically Fedor, Sergi, and Barnett are the only ones that didn't come over that should have.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 8:57 pm

I hate the fact they bought SF. I loved the competition the 2 gave each other.
Back to top Go down
throwdownfight1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Matt Hughes,Tito Ortiz,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 9:09 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
It will work out just fone. 90% of the top fighters in SF will end up int he UFC. The same thing happened with Pride. It didn't go as planned at all, but look at Rampage, Cro Cop, Big Nog, Lil Nog, Shogun, Wand, Hendo, Gomi, Kid, Coleman, Vitor, Herring, Hunt, etc...

Basically Fedor, Sergi, and Barnett are the only ones that didn't come over that should have.

+1 this

although i must say although fedor,sergi and barnett would of never been on the top elite level in the ufc they would of added alot more depth to the division. in the end the buyout is great for mostly all. the ufc will end up being the spot were fighters will end up getting paid the most overall, we will get to eventually see gil,jacare,bigfoot and others fight the best in the ufc and prove themselves. more depth to all the division with more fighters. whats happenin now are only a few bumps on the road to one day seeing the best fight the best. o and before, sf didnt really give the ufc much comp. sure the grand prix looked nice and all along with the hws they had, sure gil and diaz were entertain fighters but it was long ago people were asking themselves, who are they fighting next. if anything cant way till the merger is over to finally get some dream match ups fans have been waiting to see for a while. first of them startin with gsp/diaz
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 9:24 pm

Who says its a sure thing that Barnett won't come over? In recent interviews I've seen its pretty clear that he would definitely be interested and he and Dana actually spoke the last time they were together. Wouldn't be surprised at all if something couldn't be worked out there

Sergei, no because of the GG thing, but this dude has been essentially irrelevant in MMA for a while now. Nice KO of a dude that everyone puts to sleep nowadays but we'll see how he looks against Barnett before I consider that some big loss. Still not sold on his grappling or ground at all

Fedor is obvious but at this point if we are having serious discussions about if he could beat Mir I'm not sure I wanted to see him in the UFC anyway

Everyone has freaked over this Alistar/GG thing. It will be old news in a while when Hendo, Jacare, Gil, Bigfoot, etc start making their way over and hopefully we see some kind of TV deal for the UFC in the near future where they can really start putting on a lot of shows and start their own Challengers like series as well. They would have the stable to pull it off
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, since way back

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 9:42 pm

Strikeforce should be a promotion designed for up-and-comers, freak shows, and exciting fighters that can't make it in the UFC. Contenders are funnelled to the UFC. I kind of thought the WEC would turn into this, but no dice. Strikeforce will be gone in two years.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 2:45 am

They overpaid to eliminate competition and snag those who want to fight on the biggest stage, all UFC fighters seem comfortable with their situation, outliers will happen though. It was a great move in actuality.

Dana did say if SF is making money and seems like a good investment then it will be kept and restructured, did we really ever think otherwise?

People seem to think that SF was booming when purchased, but if you look at some numbers I highly doubt they were making anything more then a couple mill as a company in their best year (last), and could have been in the red easily.

Coker made a genius play and drew attention while knowing he needed a new investor.

And Showtime is meaningless, if they stick together they stick together, but the UFC is already in business with Comcast, that's the better play. They have a product that will find a great home regardless.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 8:31 am

LA wrote:
They overpaid to eliminate competition and snag those who want to fight on the biggest stage, all UFC fighters seem comfortable with their situation, outliers will happen though. It was a great move in actuality.

Dana did say if SF is making money and seems like a good investment then it will be kept and restructured, did we really ever think otherwise?

People seem to think that SF was booming when purchased, but if you look at some numbers I highly doubt they were making anything more then a couple mill as a company in their best year (last), and could have been in the red easily.

Coker made a genius play and drew attention while knowing he needed a new investor.

And Showtime is meaningless, if they stick together they stick together, but the UFC is already in business with Comcast, that's the better play. They have a product that will find a great home regardless.
If Showtime was meaningless then why did Dana spend so much time and effort trying to get on Showtime in the past? Just like everything in the world you aren't worth shit if you aren't with the UFC, but the same network would be praised if they came to terms with the UFC.
Why are you willing to believe that Dana would keep SF around and put the effort into continuing to build that brand? You really think that the UFC couldn't have promoted SF and build that brand even more and make money in the process? Of course they could have. Is that what they really wanted to do? Obviously not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 3:47 pm

timthebim wrote:

+1
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 3:56 pm

timthebim wrote:

But at the end of the day, you'd still want to see the best fighters facing either other. Unless you really enjoy situations like Jacare defending his belt against a 100% undeserving Luke Rockhold followed by already rematching Tim Kennedy...and then what?
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 4:04 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
timthebim wrote:

But at the end of the day, you'd still want to see the best fighters facing either other. Unless you really enjoy situations like Jacare defending his belt against a 100% undeserving Luke Rockhold followed by already rematching Tim Kennedy...and then what?

Kennedy lost a very close and slightly controversial decision then went and beat the 3rd best MW in SF. By SF standards he's more than earned a rematch. But I do get and agree with your point.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 8:30 pm

OU wrote:
LA wrote:

If Showtime was meaningless then why did Dana spend so much time and effort trying to get on Showtime in the past? Just like everything in the world you aren't worth shit if you aren't with the UFC, but the same network would be praised if they came to terms with the UFC.
Why are you willing to believe that Dana would keep SF around and put the effort into continuing to build that brand? You really think that the UFC couldn't have promoted SF and build that brand even more and make money in the process? Of course they could have. Is that what they really wanted to do? Obviously not.

Went over your head a little bit, they are meaningless because we know regardless the UFC will find a great home, they have the product people want. As I said if they stick with Showtime they stick with Showtime, if not they'll endup on another network. And they went hard into negotiations with multiple other networks, HBO for instance, it's no different, you see who has the best deal for you....And it's not a matter of being praised dude, it's about them being one of many possible destinations, anyone could be a goodfit. And why do I believe they would try and continue SF? What Dana said about that is completely understandable, if SF isn't losing money they'll give it a go. His comment about being rebuilt is also very telling, what's the point in keeping guys who could be in the UFC in SF? it makes sense as a feeder, a Challenger-Max or UFC-Lite you could say. They've put more of an effort into promoting SF, you don't think ads and mentions around UFC events doesnt' help? But still SF's not pulling in the money you'd expect them to, look at Reem vs Werdum, the numbers made it seem like they probably lost money on that one. You stick UFC on something though and the numbers quadruple or quintuple. They just comped like 75% of tickets to a Challengers event.. Point is why keep something around if it loses you money? But you change that name to UFC and all of a sudden the numbers change, just the way it is.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 6:59 pm

LA what channel is going to pay showtime $$$$ for a feeder org? An org that can lose it's best talent at any moment. No one is. Not even close
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 7:12 pm

You know what Showtime money is? Um you don't, and what about Versus? Now NBC Sports, WEC was just that, a feeder technically, oh yeah forgot about that......, big shows on NBC = win. Any channel could also get the UFC you know right? It doesn't simply have to be Showtime gets Feeder _____ gets UFC.

Since when is Showtime so great anyways, their production is the worst in the business.

UFC has all the cards, could be HBO, Showtime, Comcast(Versus/NBC), Fox, G4..........Doesn't really matter where in all reality, though Versus/Comcast is the best play.

Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 8:03 pm

And just remember M-1 is on Showtime, Showtime seems cool with that deal.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 8:32 pm

LA wrote:
You know what Showtime money is? Um you don't, and what about Versus? Now NBC Sports, WEC was just that, a feeder technically, oh yeah forgot about that......, big shows on NBC = win. Any channel could also get the UFC you know right? It doesn't simply have to be Showtime gets Feeder _____ gets UFC.

Since when is Showtime so great anyways, their production is the worst in the business.

UFC has all the cards, could be HBO, Showtime, Comcast(Versus/NBC), Fox, G4..........Doesn't really matter where in all reality, though Versus/Comcast is the best play.

based on fighter pay, I can assume that showtime was paying alot more then any other non spike TV channel. Showtime backing SF is what made SF far and away the 2nd best MMA org in the land.

And Showtimes poor production has been so over blown. go watch Shark fights on fuel and tell me showtimes is the worst in the business.

Fox or G4? Seriously? Bellator bolted Fox for greener pastures, but now they are a player in keeping SF relevant?

And WEC was about 10% feeder org. Faber the WEC poster boy(who was raking in a cool 30k per fight) was never in jeopardy of being absorbed, well at least until WEC went out of business, which def jives with my overall point.

Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 12:25 am

The discussion amoung the community as a whol;e speaks for itsellf, MMA is torn and sick and sad
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 2:31 am

captain organic wrote:
LA wrote:

based on fighter pay, I can assume that showtime was paying alot more then any other non spike TV channel. Showtime backing SF is what made SF far and away the 2nd best MMA org in the land.

And Showtimes poor production has been so over blown. go watch Shark fights on fuel and tell me showtimes is the worst in the business.

Fox or G4? Seriously? Bellator bolted Fox for greener pastures, but now they are a player in keeping SF relevant?

And WEC was about 10% feeder org. Faber the WEC poster boy(who was raking in a cool 30k per fight) was never in jeopardy of being absorbed, well at least until WEC went out of business, which def jives with my overall point.

It was Showtime? Dude it was the fighter stable, many people thought Bellator had a better run Org with better production...

I don't understand why you think SF needs Showtime to stay relevant, SF could be the second best Org in MMA and still be a UFC feeder, that's how deep a stable Zuffa as whole could hold. Any fucking station could/would work, especially ones on regular cable.

WEC was either 1/3 feeder when it was just BW/FW/WW and 3/5 feeder before that.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 2:34 am

GDPofDRC wrote:
The discussion amoung the community as a whol;e speaks for itsellf, MMA is torn and sick and sad

Some see it one way others another, I'm sure some hated when the AFL got absorbed too...
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 8:06 am

LA wrote:
captain organic wrote:
LA wrote:

It was Showtime? Dude it was the fighter stable, many people thought Bellator had a better run Org with better production...

I don't understand why you think SF needs Showtime to stay relevant, SF could be the second best Org in MMA and still be a UFC feeder, that's how deep a stable Zuffa as whole could hold. Any fucking station could/would work, especially ones on regular cable.

WEC was either 1/3 feeder when it was just BW/FW/WW and 3/5 feeder before that.

check the timeline. When did SF make their big push on the scene? when they signed with showtime. Not to be a dick, but this is obvious stuff here.

Also I don't remember much feeding of high caliber lw's from the WEC to the UFC. The only time fighters that made that switch is when the WEC closed a division, or closed their doors for good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.   Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck. Empty

Back to top Go down

Zuffa buying SF is turning into a complete clusterfuck.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next