Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137

Go down 
+13
gomez1012
captain organic
Cu Bu
GDPofDRC
OU
killerofchicken
josh200612
KingsOwn19
bobbitt15
timthebim
Birdofthad
Wolfgangsta
LA
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 Empty
PostSubject: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 6:44 pm

Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 6:49 pm

So what does showtime get in return? They just let their biggest draw walk. The promise of UFC events on Showtime?
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 6:50 pm

I'd like to see Nick win this one actually, GSP has become a bit stale for as dominant as he's been. I'd say Nick should work on his wrestling until the fight, but it's not going to do so much in that time frame. Probably gonna be another GSP UD.

What kind of numbers do you think this fight does? 1mill+?
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 6:50 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
So what does showtime get in return? They just let their biggest draw walk. The promise of UFC events on Showtime?

Thought the same thing, there has to be something there.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 6:59 pm

Im expecting 2 leagues kinda, SF and UFC, SF is gonna get some fighters and they will unify the titles, do PPV with SF and UFC
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 7:11 pm

If you do to many crossovers you pretty much destroy the need for two seperates Orgs. If they could do it right it should happen once a year, like just before the New Year.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 7:37 pm

Disagree LA as Strikeforce is an intermediary between Zuffa's I isolationism and the rest of the Mma world.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 8:06 pm

Great fight although we still have about 6 months to go until it happens.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 8:44 pm

GSP will expose Diaz as just another pretender.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 9:33 pm

War Diaz
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 11:49 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Disagree LA as Strikeforce is an intermediary between Zuffa's I isolationism and the rest of the Mma world.

You know there is some vaildity to that, and when you posted it in another thread I agreed with you to that point, but it's what we think and not necessarily what Dana/Zufa are thinking. And rest of the MMA World is a bit much as it really only applies to Dream, and in general JMMA and martial arts is hurting, I see JMMA fighters coming over to the US with or without co-pros.

The point is really that, when you open up UFC/SF crossover fights to more then just Champion vs Champion fights you're playing a dangerous game if you really want two Orgs. If you bow to guys like Kennedy, Foot, Lawler ect... and have them coming over to the UFC is cross promotional fights, what's he real point of having a seperate Org? It'd basically be like, fuck it, just throw them all together.....If you do it as a special once a year Org vs Org event, it allows both to hold more individual weight and builds up a huge event at the end of each year, this is if you intend to keep them seperate. Ultimately if they want to keep SF as SF and the UFC as the UFC, then they need to even out the talent pools and start sending guys over to SF, they already have more talent then they know what to do with. I think it makes the most sense to keep them seperate after adding more talent to SF, cause otherwise we as fans lose out on events (unless they plan to do 50+ a year as a single Org, which they could IMO) . SF visits venues the UFC doesn't, does some smaller shows with lower ticket prices, they really have to be careful here IMO.

Back on Japan, with JMMA hurting and K-1 hurting, I think this would be a prime opportunity for the UFC, but that's just me.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 11:55 pm

Business as usual
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 11:58 pm

Can't say that this isnt what i wanted though. Nick Diaz vs. Tyron Woodley or GSP vs. Nick Diaz? Easy decision from a fan perspective.

Showtime HAS to be getting something out of this though. I just don't see how they don't because we know this isnt a Mayhem situation. We know Diaz had just signed a multi YEAR contract with SF/Showtime.

My guess is UFC on Showtime is already set in stone after 2012.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 12:06 am

KingsOwn19 wrote:
Can't say that this isnt what i wanted though. Nick Diaz vs. Tyron Woodley or GSP vs. Nick Diaz? Easy decision from a fan perspective.

Showtime HAS to be getting something out of this though. I just don't see how they don't because we know this isnt a Mayhem situation. We know Diaz had just signed a multi YEAR contract with SF/Showtime.

My guess is UFC on Showtime is already set in stone after 2012.

Very good possibilty, Dana already talking about next deal will be done in 6 months, Showtime letting one of their biggest draws crossover, I think something is in the works.
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 12:16 am

So GSP will have two belts? Cool.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 12:26 am

showtime might be getting a cut... or they're just getting left in the dark until the contract runs out and ZUFFA goes their separate way
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 12:26 am

the best fight they could have made for both guys, even though i see it as a gsp dry hump-a-thon
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 12:43 am

Showtime would have interfered more, something is happening we don't know about.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 12:45 am

Dana said in an interview the other day that they were really close to another huge step that he was pumped about. UFC on Showtime would seem to fit the scuttlebutt
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 12:53 am

With you on that bro, said about the same thing.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 1:13 am

I'm pretty sure we're looking at UFC on Showtime.

Showtime might be taking over premium cable if they get UFC. They got Pac-man, they got great original programming, and Diaz going to UFC shows that there is a strong relationship here. HBO may have taken their eye off the ball for too long..they were so commited to boxing that they didnt bring in MMA..now Showtime has the biggest boxing draw AND it looks like they'll get the biggest combat sports league.

Some people think it's just Zuffa owns SF they can do what they want with their fighters without cooperation from Showtime but a Strikeforce contract is basically a Showtime contract until their TV deal is out...which is some time away if the duration announced during the purchase is correct. Obviously Showtime is not owned by Zuffa and have their own promotional interests to protect and they have a lot of control over Strikeforce. It was always said that Showtime had more control over Strikeforce than Coker did.

So, there is no way Showtime is left in the dark on this. Giving up Diaz pretty much shows a "whats good for the UFC is good for Showtime" line of thinkiing at this point and there might have already been a verbal commitment with Ken Hershman and i'm thinking Lorenzo on this one who has been working with Hershman since the buyout since i guess him and Dana have old beef.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 6:08 am

Maybe instead of Facebook they will put the fights on showtime?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 8:29 am

I try not to comment on Diaz topics because I'm just too big of a fan. But I'll just say I think Nick wins this fight and people remember just how mortal GSP really is.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 8:57 am

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/6/1/2201879/nick-diaz-contract-with-zuffa-details-and-what-it-means-for-georges

• The fight was announced today, which is when the contract arrived at Zuffa offices. Diaz signed the bout agreement yesterday.
  • Diaz has signed a new eight-fight deal with Zuffa that will reportedly allow him to fight in both Strikeforce and UFC.
  • The deal he signed did NOT involve him boxing and, in fact, expressly forbid it.
  • Zuffa allegedly more or less told Gracie and Diaz that if he gave up
    boxing they would give him GSP and that's all it took for the pugilist
    dreams to die.
  • The fight location came down to either somewhere in Canada or Las
    Vegas. Gracie told UFC he would prefer Vegas, but would fight wherever.
  • Gracie hopes this marks the end of Diaz's run in Strikeforce and
    said he believes the only reason Diaz would return is if he loses this
    fight against St. Pierre.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 8:58 am

So I'm just guessing that this won't unify the titles and if Nick loses he will still be the SF Champion. If he wins he will hold 2 belts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137   GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137 Empty

Back to top Go down

GSP vs Diaz set for UFC 137
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next