Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion

Go down 
+6
killerofchicken
LA
GDPofDRC
MMAEYES
Wolfgangsta
Ninja
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 12:19 pm

Coker talks about Fedor, fighters, expansion and Strikeforce's Phase II Plan for 2011. He says PPV and expansion are on the top of the list.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/12/21/backstage-with-scott-coker/
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 1:32 pm

RIP Strikeforce. PPV is the fatal mistake.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:

I agree
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 1:38 pm

With regularity it is. If they put on 4 huge shows a year, I'll buy. They have good enough matches they can make to do that a few times a year. But not regularly. I never had any problem buying the Affliction PPV's they were great cards.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:

This, and it's not that SF couldn't throw together some PPV worthy cards, and if they did hopefully 1 would include a HW Title fight, it's that they're PPV events wouldn't sell enough to make PPV worth while.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 1:50 pm

LA wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

This, and it's not that SF couldn't throw together some PPV worthy cards, and if they did hopefully 1 would include a HW Title fight, it's that they're PPV events wouldn't sell enough to make PPV worth while.
Casual fans STILL don't know much about SF and that would be one of the reasons this would fail, but why not try it with a stacked card including a HW tittle fight and/or Fedor vs TBA
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 1:56 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
With regularity it is. If they put on 4 huge shows a year, I'll buy. They have good enough matches they can make to do that a few times a year. But not regularly. I never had any problem buying the Affliction PPV's they were great cards.

Yeah I was thinking maybe a quarterly show could work, maybe.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 1:58 pm

and they have to advertise it up the ying yang
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 2:03 pm

killerofchicken wrote:
LA wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

Casual fans STILL don't know much about SF and that would be one of the reasons this would fail, but why not try it with a stacked card including a HW tittle fight and/or Fedor vs TBA

Well SF is more known then say Afflcition was at the time, but this goes with what I'm saying about their PPV not selling enough for their benefit.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 2:42 pm

If the advertised right maybe it could work better than Affliction. Strikeforce has kind of become trendy with some. Like that Epic Beard Man meme from last year, a radio host interviewed him and as a joke said he could set up a rematch in Strikeforce and they even cut a mock promo for the fight or whatever. However part of the issue then becomes more aggressive counter measures from the UFC if Strikeforce is looking at PPV.

If they pick Saturdays that the UFC isn't promoting events on, and price it slightly lower. 35 dollars perhaps, maybe they could do some business.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 2:48 pm

It would work out better then Afflction without question, Affliction wasn't marketing events enough paired with ridiculously overpaying fighters, not to mention the same PPV price tag as UFC events. SF would def fair better, but I'd still see it as a losing situation, and if they could some how do a 29.95 price, then they could possibly do some damage. I also think the UFC could drop their price though and fair even better though.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 2:49 pm

I think they could prob do well with PPV, as noted if it were just couple a year. And they def could make a PPV worthy card, as long as the hwy title fight is on it.

But Im not a big fan of it. Maybe they need it in order to grow, but I like not having to shell out $50 to watch the fights.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 2:58 pm

SF hasn't lost any money as far as I know, so even if they lose money on these shows maybe it won't kill them. But this always seems to be the kiss of death. Then again, SF isn't a gambling website or a t-shirt company. Strange that companies that can sell t-shirts for 80 bucks and illegal internet gambling but not prize fights.

I feel bad for falling into the SF hater trap recently. The frustration was spreading. I'm re-energized by Henderson vs Babalu and these announcements. I love Strikeforce.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 3:02 pm

MMA ultamately benefits IMO if SF were to fail and collapse, but I'll just leave that as me thinking out loud, no need to reply to that thought.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 3:03 pm

Why?
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 3:07 pm

I'd start a thread about it if I wanted to get into that, but all the best fighters under one roof would be part of it.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 3:10 pm

No competition would mean fans getting bent over a lot more.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 3:14 pm

Never understood why anyone believes that or fighters would get similar treatment. PPV events, Ticket prices would all remain the same.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 3:23 pm

SF can stack cards enough that I will shell out 50 bucks for PPVs. But then again I will probably buy the cards no matter what price or who is fighting...that's just how I roll. Cool
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 3:24 pm

OU wrote:
SF can stack cards enough that I will shell out 50 bucks for PPVs. But then again I will probably buy the cards no matter what price or who is fighting...that's just how I roll. Cool

Supporters of MMA unite!!
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 3:25 pm

Like you said, you don't know what happens with negotiations or have any idea about the workings of the business LA, so you're just speaking from a fan perspective. The nature of the UFC will always cause competitors to form. They blacklist top fighters and can't afford or even make room to employ everyone who who deserves to be on TV. Most SF fighters are at least UFC prelim caliber, so the UFC would need a roster almost twice as big.

With two orgs, the fighters make more money and the promoters treat the fighters better. You're in college, I don't need to explain capitalism to you. Shut the fuck up with some other pro sports analogy like the NFL, as athletes are employed by individual teams, not the league. A single sports franchise is more analogous to the NFL.

MMA has never in it's history been a single entity sport. Never.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 3:27 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
OU wrote:

Form of....a ninja Ninja Headbang
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 3:29 pm

OU wrote:
GDPofDRC wrote:
OU wrote:

Form of....a ninja Ninja Headbang

Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion Ninja_skull

SF is MMA's best chance to get back to it's peak 2004-2006 PrideFC/UFC days.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 3:36 pm

Graduated but anyways

Do you mean MMA has never been a single Org entity? if so, it was never in place to be until now, the growth of the UFC, a billion dollar company and growth of the sport has opned the doors for it to become one.

On roster size, why would it need to double? SF has like maybe 20-25 UFC caliber fighters. And with the UFC as a single Org, there would still be "true" feeder Organizations (not SF like Dana said) or the UFC could have a proving ground similar to Challengers.

I never understood why people assume fighters will get shit on in a single Org MMA landscape. The UFC is looking for growth and expansion, they wouldn't monopolize MMA to the point of hurting the sport, fighter payouts would remain similar and grow over time with the sport.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 3:57 pm

yea because a company known for keeping fighter wages down and restrictive controlling contracts wouldn't get worse with no alternative options for it's athletes.

You graduated? Sue the college you went to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion   Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion Empty

Back to top Go down

Strikeforce Phase II Plan For 2011: PPV, Expansion
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next