Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield

Go down 
+4
StickyDrumGuy
Wolfgangsta
Ring
gomez1012
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield Empty
PostSubject: Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield   Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 9:41 am

Former four division champion Roy Jones Jr. has been making the rounds during several promotional appearances in the UK. During some of those appearances, Jones has challenged WBA heavyweight champion David Haye to a fight in early 2011. Haye defends his title on November 13 in Manchester against Audley Harrison. Jones has lost his last two bouts, dropping a twelve round decision to Bernard Hopkins April, and a first round TKO defeat to IBO cruiserweight champion Danny Green in 2009.

A rep for Haye's promotional company, Hayemaker Promotions, has already shot down the fight and said David is not interested. According to respected scribe Kevin Mitchell of The Guardian, Jones (54-7, 40KOs), turning 42-years-old in January, is likely to pursue a fight with former three time heavyweight champion Evander Holfyield (43-10, 28KOs), who recently turned 48.

If that's true, it wouldn't be the first that a Jones-Holyfield fight was explored. The fight was discussed a several years ago. The two egos made it a very difficult fight to make. Holfyield saw himself as the A-side of the fight, which Jones did not agree with. Feeling a sense of disrespect, Holyfield brushed off Jones' advances. This time around they might have a much easier time getting it done, when you considering their circumstances.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=32242
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield   Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 12:02 pm

damn....

I read last week he was looking to fight Michael Sprott
Back to top Go down
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield   Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 10:49 pm

Jones Jr is pathetic, but sadly his name can still sell tickets, so he continues to get fights.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield   Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 12:15 am

His name doesn't sell shit anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
StickyDrumGuy
StickyDrumGuy

PostSubject: Re: Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield   Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 12:23 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
His name doesn't sell shit anymore.

You should know homie.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield   Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 12:42 am

Jones was never a PPV star anyways, Holyfield was

Holyfield beats Jones and always would have
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield   Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 1:27 am

Birdofthad wrote:

RJJ would have beat Holyfield if he fought him instead of Ruiz.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield   Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 1:48 am

its possible but I still think Holyfield roughs Roy up and knocks his block off
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield   Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 3:34 am

Birdofthad wrote:
its possible but I still think Holyfield roughs Roy up and knocks his block off

RJJ was way too quick for him and would've done what Mayweather did against Oscar. RJJ was number 1 p4p back then and should've retired right after he beat Ruiz. Holyfield was awful around that time.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield   Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 12:48 pm

Jones vs Hopkins II sold 150K PPVs...somebody wanted to see it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield   Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 12:49 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Jones vs Hopkins II sold 150K PPVs...somebody wanted to see it

Crazy isn't it ?
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield   Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 12:52 pm

Hell yes...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield   Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 12:53 pm

Now I am reading Michael Sprott is in talks to face Roy.
Back to top Go down
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield   Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 6:36 pm

Birdofthad wrote:

After Jones Jr. became a champion as a Pro, almost everyone of his fights have been PPV, I bet he can still get a million + for one of his PPVs.

Holyfield was a bigger PPV star (as far as money goes) but Jones has made a shitload of money off his PPVs.

FWIW, I can't see more then one or two of RJJ's fights ever being worthy of PPV money, and I can honestly say i've never paid a dime to watch one of his fights.
Back to top Go down
boxinglawyer
White Belt
White Belt

PostSubject: Re: Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield   Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 9:24 pm

Ring wrote:
Birdofthad wrote:

After Jones Jr. became a champion as a Pro, almost everyone of his fights have been PPV, I bet he can still get a million + for one of his PPVs.

Holyfield was a bigger PPV star (as far as money goes) but Jones has made a shitload of money off his PPVs.

FWIW, I can't see more then one or two of RJJ's fights ever being worthy of PPV money, and I can honestly say i've never paid a dime to watch one of his fights.

Jones only managed 150k buys for Hopkins II. For perspective, Manny Pac against a fighter nobody ever heard of (Clottey) drew 787K. Roy Jones is the documented WORST ppv draw in the history of HBO sports. He drew fewer viewers than the USA dogshow championships. Thats not a joke, thats a FACT! No way he draws a million buys unless he fights Tyson. Holyfield, as great as he has been on PPV (3 of the top 10 fights of all-time invloved him) wont even bring in a million for this fight.

Little known fact that Jones didnt make ANY money on his Hopkins fight. He went with a bigger "upside" of the PPV revenue, which was pitiful.
Back to top Go down
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield   Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 10:00 pm

boxinglawyer wrote:
Ring wrote:
Birdofthad wrote:

Jones only managed 150k buys for Hopkins II. For perspective, Manny Pac against a fighter nobody ever heard of (Clottey) drew 787K. Roy Jones is the documented WORST ppv draw in the history of HBO sports. He drew fewer viewers than the USA dogshow championships. Thats not a joke, thats a FACT! No way he draws a million buys unless he fights Tyson. Holyfield, as great as he has been on PPV (3 of the top 10 fights of all-time invloved him) wont even bring in a million for this fight.

Little known fact that Jones didnt make ANY money on his Hopkins fight. He went with a bigger "upside" of the PPV revenue, which was pitiful.

I didn't mean to imply that RJJ could get a million 'buys' for one of his PPV's these days Boxing Lawyer. I meant that he can probably still get a million + bucks for one of his shit fights, for example as pitiful of a PPV RJJ-Hop was, Jones likely made a million or 2 off of it.

P.S. I wouldn't think that a Holyfield-Jones Jr. PPV, would do much more then what Hop-RJJ did, but who knows, like PT Barnum said: There's a sucker born every minute".
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield   Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 10:10 pm

Why are all the big named boxing greats trying to fight at an old age? They make all that money and end up still wanting to make a check. I don't get it. RJJ and Evander should have stopped fighting a looong time ago.
Back to top Go down
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield   Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 10:34 pm

bigbeastcardinal12 wrote:
Why are all the big named boxing greats trying to fight at an old age? They make all that money and end up still wanting to make a check. I don't get it. RJJ and Evander should have stopped fighting a looong time ago.

In Jones's Jr. and Hopkins' case it's 'greed', in Holyfield's case it's needing the money and chasing an unrealistic dream. These kats all need to retire, but they won't as long as they can keep making a buck.
Back to top Go down
SlickMoneyXL
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
SlickMoneyXL

Favorite Fighter(s) : Miguel Cotto, Efrain Escudero

PostSubject: Re: Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield   Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 3:22 am

boxinglawyer wrote:
Ring wrote:
Birdofthad wrote:

So you're gonna compare a PPV with 1 shot fighter vs an aging fighter to a Manny Pac fight? Doesnt Roy hold the record for most appearances on HBO? That has to mean something.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield   Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield Empty

Back to top Go down

Roy Jones Jr's desperation continues, now wants Evander Holyfield
Page 1 of 1