Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.

Go down 
+10
Cu Bu
JerseyStyle
bobbitt15
Birdofthad
captain organic
KingsOwn19
GDPofDRC
timthebim
cascade_run
Wolfgangsta
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. Empty
PostSubject: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 9:25 pm

There is a lot of brutal realization about Lesnar, but I think it's happened to all of us at one point or another. What other hype trains have you bought into that turned out to be a Lie?

For me, the Lie was The Truth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
cascade_run
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
cascade_run

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 9:47 pm

I hate the dude, but I would not call him paper, he beat Couture and destroyed Herring, and owned Mir in the rematch, he is one of those dudes that think he is so big that no one can stand up to him, Brock got a whole lot of new reality brought into his life.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 9:58 pm

I thought Gabe Gonzaga was gonna be an animal but nope he gets beat by every1.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 9:59 pm

Hype train isn't always how I put it. But bubble gets busted either way.

Mark Kerr. A big part of it I think is that the sport evolved so fast in the late 90's. When I first saw him win those tournaments, then win in Japan I thought the guy was gonna have a high end future, didn't pan out. He went on to get his ass kicked for ten straight years.

Years back I was mildly interested in seeing just how far Brandon Vera could go that I half heartedly rooted for him several times. He has fizzled bad, in fact no fizzle, he's flat.

Jeremy Horn. I don't think he's bad or a lie or anything. He just seemed like he was gonna be around to stay back in the day, those late 90's cards. He was good but ran into a fair amount of guys who were better.

Mike Swick. I wasn't a big fan but I thought he would be a real title contender at 170 by now. He looked better at 185 but I'm not thinking he will ever be a contender in the UFC.

If he can't win anymore or better than he has already, Mark Munoz, but he's young. I think he has been somewhat fed to the tigers in his young UFC career, some more so than other, but that's not an entirely bad thing if you can get better.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 10:21 pm

Marius Zaromskis

Luiz Arthur Cane
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 10:24 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
Marius Zaromskis

Luiz Arthur Cane

Sokoudjou.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 10:31 pm

Houston Alexander.

I admit. I bought in as soon as i heard "Houston Alexander is for rreeeall"
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 10:34 pm

I picked Soko against that sissy lookin Japanese guy I wasn't too familiar with.

Luiz Cane and Zoromskis
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 10:53 pm

Ricco ROdriguez

Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 10:55 pm

Ricco aint no paper tiger.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 10:55 pm

Vitor Belfort although I believe he's put a lot of that BS behind him for this last run in his later years
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 10:57 pm

Good add bobbitt.

Chris Horodecki never fooled me but he did many others.
Back to top Go down
JerseyStyle
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 10:58 pm

Houston
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 11:01 pm

so Vitor is a good add but Ricco isnt, come on, Ricco whooped Couture and subbed him, Im thinking hes gonna be the UFC HW Champ for a long time then Tim Sylvia happens add in he lost 3 in a row after the Couture tap, losing to Sylvia, Nog, and Pedro, add in the Ron Waterman loss

cough cough Ben Rothwell

cough cough Antonio Silva

cough cough Jeff monson

cough cough Travis wiuff

sory dude Ricco didnt live up to what i thought he would be
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 11:01 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
Ricco ROdriguez

You're crazy. Ricco Rodriguez is arguably the most undeservingly under-appreciated former champ in MMA history.

Last edited by KingsOwn19 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 11:02 pm

What about TUF fighters who hella over achieved beyond their real skill in Forest and Keith?
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 11:03 pm

Ricco beat Nog though. I would consider that a good add but I never really thought that much of him. Always seemed like average talent that was getting the most out of what he had
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 11:03 pm

how by having his Randy win and then losing the next fight?
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

Enson Inoue
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 11:04 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
how by having his Randy win and then losing the next fight?

A paper tiger is someone who was never as good as billed.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 11:06 pm

ya wolf i realize that and at that time i doubt most of yall remember cause you probably werent even MMA fans yet but Ricco was being billed as the next big thing that would bring great submission to the heavyweight division

Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 11:07 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
so Vitor is a good add but Ricco isnt, come on, Ricco whooped Couture and subbed him, Im thinking hes gonna be the UFC HW Champ for a long time then Tim Sylvia happens add in he lost 3 in a row after the Couture tap, losing to Sylvia, Nog, and Pedro, add in the Ron Waterman loss

cough cough Ben Rothwell

cough cough Antonio Silva

cough cough Jeff monson

cough cough Travis wiuff

sory dude Ricco didnt live up to what i thought he would be

Rodriguez would have unanimous decision'd Nog if that same fight was judged in the United States.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 11:07 pm

Cane, Houston, and Munoz.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

Not mine but one

Brett Rogers
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 11:08 pm

Ya but Ricco earned that and blew it away by his own personal problems. He is an underachiever, not a paper tiger. The Ricco that looked awful wasn't the same Ricco that looked good. Lesnar would have been murdered by real top competition at every point in his career. Mir, Couture, Herring. Most top guys are going to destroy these guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.   Paper tigers that duped you in MMA. Empty

Back to top Go down

Paper tigers that duped you in MMA.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next